• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A discussion on Artificial Intelligence and how it's going to affect our industry.
3 3

255 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2023 at 7:15 PM, COI said:

Only a bot could amass 100K+ posts on a comic book message board.

That’s over 20 years though. and he’s only in the 3rd spot. If we break it down by posts per year, we have been infiltrated for years! :ohnoez:

IMG_0331.thumb.jpeg.c00621a894ac5e08d8e509d1ce3478f2.jpeg

On 9/5/2023 at 6:39 PM, ganni said:

Somebody in this thread is not who he/she  seem to be.... 

A.I.  ? 

So, you're saying there is some "artificial" intelligence in here? You may be on to something! hm

On 9/5/2023 at 7:46 PM, CAHokie said:

That’s over 20 years though. and he’s only in the 3rd spot. If we break it down by posts per year, we have been infiltrated for years! :ohnoez:

Are you saying I need to step up my game? :angel:

I think we're seeing a division happening in society...a line being drawn between two camps, those that cleave towards reality and those that don't.

There is a clear delineation happening in real time: those that cleave towards reality tend to defend integrity in everything right down to the smallest thing, whether it's what they say, do, believe in or allow. Those that move away from reality don't, because it doesn't matter. It's all just relative to them...atoms that can be rearranged like legos. 

And because the number of possible faked things is exponentially increasing with time while the number of real things is fixed (and diminishing over time) we are going to see a supply of faked things and a scarcity of real things. 

Philosophically and economically speaking, we could see another asset bubble form around things with lineage, provenance or history. 

Which is why this one line is so profound...

"I think things that can't be faked are going to become increasingly valuable. " - Jordan Peterson

Nailed it. (worship)

This man is a genius. 

This could be why the biggest keys continue to rise in price against all reason. The wealthiest could be buying up all the real things that are still left to hoard. 

Thoughts?

On 9/6/2023 at 8:07 AM, CAHokie said:
On 9/6/2023 at 5:11 AM, VintageComics said:

Thoughts?

I have boxes and boxes of “real” drek they are welcome to buy.

Stranger things have happened. 

Rocket Raccoon anyone? lol

On 9/6/2023 at 3:11 AM, VintageComics said:

.This could be why the biggest keys continue to rise in price against all reason. The wealthiest could be buying up all the real things that are still left to hoard. 

Thoughts?

This is why I think that GA comics will always continue to rise in value: there will always be a market for the craftsmanship of the Golden Age, even if you’d been born 30-60 years after it was over. There is still appreciation in that work, it just gets shouted down by the voices of the New and Improved.

On 9/6/2023 at 7:30 PM, Dr. Balls said:

it just gets shouted down by the voices of the New and Improved. toddlers. 

:D

I agree. A GA book is as cool as an old classic car, guitar or a home at this point. 

Around 2010 I made the case on this forum that comic books had moved into the category of historical artifacts. There wasn't much of a consensus on that at the time but I think it's safe to say that the big books now are now certainly historic artifacts and the case can be made for MOST GA books now. 

When I was collecting in the 80's, the hobby was 50 years old.

When I joined this forum the hobby was 70 years old.

Comics were still junk and we were still considered nerds. 

In a decade the hobby will be a century old. Comics are no longer junk and we are now considered front runners. 

My how times change. Maybe now I can go bully the bullies that bullied me in grade school. :devil:

*Oops. Edited my post for a spelling mistake. I promise I did not change the meaning of my post in the edit. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/6/2023 at 7:57 PM, VintageComics said:

:D

I agree. A GA book is as cool as an old classic car, guitar or a home at this point. 

Around 2010 I made the case on this forum that comic books had moved into the category of historical artifacts. There wasn't much of a consensus on that at the time but I think it's safe to say that the big books now are now certainly historic artifacts and the case can be made for MOST GA books now. 

When I was collecting in the 80's, the hobby was 50 years old.

When I joined this forum the hobby was 70 years old.

Comics were still junk and we were still considered nerds. 

In a decade the hobby will be a century old. Comics are no longer junk and we are now considered front runners. 

My how times change. Maybe now I can go bully the bullies that bullied me in grade schoo. :devil:

I asked my kid if anyone he knows in school reads comic books and he said no. I hope the hobby doesn’t turn into collecting stamps and dies out after the older Millennials age out.  

In that same interview by Jordan Peterson that I was listening to, he stated that someone crank called him using AI to mimic a friend of his. 

He said the cadence, tone, everything was spot on. 

I think it's just a matter of time before the world is fooded with AI fake products the way fake / knock off Guccie bags and the like are sold at flea markets. 

We've already had a few fakes comic books hit the market and discussed them here extensively. 

I think the floodgates are about to open. 

On 9/6/2023 at 8:04 PM, CAHokie said:

I asked my kid if anyone he knows in school reads comic books and he said no. I hope the hobby doesn’t turn into collecting stamps and dies out after the older Millennials age out.  

My youngest daughter was a VORACIOUS reader. Her head was always buried in a book, a graphic novel or something similar. She reminded me of me when I was younger, and frankly she is incredily intelligent and mature for her age (she's 22). She can hold her own with her older siblings and may even be more mature than some of them. 

Not everyone is a reader, but a significant portion of the population was, mainly because options were fewer decades ago. 

There are still some kids that MUST read, but those seem to be the only ones hanging on. Those that enjoy reading but aren't driven to read are distracted by other things.

But having said that, I spend way more time than the average person in comic stores and conventions and still see LOTS of young kids buying new comics. I don't think the hobby is going to go the way of stamps, because....well, unless you love geography or graphic art stamps are kind of boring. They're not entertainment. 

But comics are far from boring.

Much like classic movies, I think they're more or less here to stay in some way. 

On 9/6/2023 at 5:11 AM, VintageComics said:

I think we're seeing a division happening in society...a line being drawn between two camps, those that cleave towards reality and those that don't.

There is a clear delineation happening in real time: those that cleave towards reality tend to defend integrity in everything right down to the smallest thing, whether it's what they say, do, believe in or allow. Those that move away from reality don't, because it doesn't matter. It's all just relative to them...atoms that can be rearranged like legos. 

And because the number of possible faked things is exponentially increasing with time while the number of real things is fixed (and diminishing over time) we are going to see a supply of faked things and a scarcity of real things. 

Philosophically and economically speaking, we could see another asset bubble form around things with lineage, provenance or history. 

Which is why this one line is so profound...

"I think things that can't be faked are going to become increasingly valuable. " - Jordan Peterson

Nailed it. (worship)

This man is a genius. 

This could be why the biggest keys continue to rise in price against all reason. The wealthiest could be buying up all the real things that are still left to hoard. 

Thoughts?

I don't think it's as simple as "some people cleave towards reality and some don't"; I think some people are just better at discerning what is real. Most people think that they are being "real" in their interpretation of reality, and accuse people who don't agree with them of being delusional or dishonest. You'd have to be able to reliably discern what is real and what is fake before you could value it accordingly, and in order to do that you'd have to have the humility to recognize that your interpretation of the world might not be as "real" as you think it is. 

A nice start would be if more people took an interest in learning HOW to think, before they dug their heels in on WHAT to think. Reasoning from first principles, formal logic, epistemology - actually understanding the difference between subjectivity and objectivity, what constitutes evidence, etc - these are tools we can use to evaluate our own perceptions of reality. As opposed to what we do now, which is tribalism, political and religious ideology, declaring expertise after 40 minutes google searching, extracting data from headlines, cult of personality, bad faith arguments, intellectual dishonesty, outrage farming, etc.

On 9/6/2023 at 8:13 PM, CAHokie said:

Hopefully…. Right now he is on Amazing Spiderman 8 and also reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle. He loves both.

Sure, but you're also a great dad and have taken a proper interest in his upbringing. 

Even though my ex and I separated in 2004, I literally bent over backwards to try to make sure I was present for my kids until they became adults. That's why, as difficult as it was I bought a house in their neighborhood after separating.

Kids raised by the streets aren't going to be chasing entertainment through books. 

The solution to all the world's ills is more integrity and better relationships, and those only happen by raising children diligently. 

Any problem the world faces will be solved by good kids who grow up to be good adults, not in a lab or in a bureaucracy. Those places are empty rooms without good people to work in them. 

On 9/6/2023 at 8:24 PM, COI said:

I don't think it's as simple as "some people cleave towards reality and some don't"; I think some people are just better at discerning what is real. Most people think that they are being "real" in their interpretation of reality, and accuse people who don't agree with them of being delusional or dishonest. You'd have to be able to reliably discern what is real and what is fake before you could value it accordingly, and in order to do that you'd have to have the humility to recognize that your interpretation of the world might not be as "real" as you think it is. 

A nice start would be if more people took an interest in learning HOW to think, before they dug their heels in on WHAT to think. Reasoning from first principles, formal logic, epistemology - actually understanding the difference between subjectivity and objectivity, what constitutes evidence, etc - these are tools we can use to evaluate our own perceptions of reality. As opposed to what we do now, which is tribalism, political and religious ideology, declaring expertise after 40 minutes google searching, extracting data from headlines, cult of personality, bad faith arguments, intellectual dishonesty, outrage farming, etc.

Can you forward this to a friend of mine? :D

As is usually the case, you're spot on. 

I think using the word 'real' may not have been the best choice. Maybe I should have used the word "logical", because logic is unbreakable when used properly. It's a closed loop with no leaks. 

That's how a "David" takes on "Goliath" and wins. You stick to what works and slay the giant, even if you're outclassed, outpowered or outnumbered. 

Ironically, humility is the key in the David and Goliath story as well. Not the size of the rock. Not the size of the weapon. 

Have you been going to Sunday school? lol

On 9/6/2023 at 6:04 PM, CAHokie said:

Same here. I’ve not met but a couple kids that read comics and are into the hobby. But, kids are pop culture addicts, I think many will come around to comics. It may not expand greatly, but I think the hobby will still outlast us. 

On 9/6/2023 at 9:06 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Same here. I’ve not met but a couple kids that read comics and are into the hobby. But, kids are pop culture addicts, I think many will come around to comics. It may not expand greatly, but I think the hobby will still outlast us. 

I think the direct market distribution model, in the long run, was a horrible idea for the hobby. It's similar to how the PPV model was financially great for boxing in the short term, but longterm it's been catastrophic. Without free boxing on broadcast television, the sport has been unable to create a new generation of fans. Without wide distribution of comics, print runs are a fraction of what they used to be, even with the success of the MCU.