• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 316, 1st Venom cover appearance
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I sent in my ASM 316 1989 to CGC for grading, graders notes claim “foxing” to cover. I have been collecting for years and have several thousand comics, I have never seen fixing on a comic from that time. I personally think the grade and notes are for a comic not the one submitted. I now have to CPR…. So frustrating. 

You might also send it in for a grade review. That way, if they did make an error, they would cover your shipping to CGC, crack it for free, correct it for free, pay to ship back.

If you crack it, and there is no foxing, you can't prove it's the same comic due to removing the security features. 

It's a gamble either way.

Also "cpr" will not take away foxing!

It is a permanent paper change that no amount of pressing or what not short of purple label restoration will fix. It can happen to any book due to stored conditions, just less commonly because collecting was a norm in that time when ASM came out. :cheers:

@Socrates73

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, Lightning55 said:

You might also send it in for a grade review. That way, if they did make an error, they would cover your shipping to CGC, crack it for free, correct it for free, pay to ship back.

If you crack it, and there is no foxing, you can't prove it's the same comic due to removing the security features. 

It's a gamble either way.

But is not a guaranteed free fix, should clarify, just a possibility, and yet if they crack it no amount of CCS will help foxing either. :cheers:

On 9/3/2023 at 9:14 PM, Lightning55 said:

Could be a free fix, but the odds are higher that they will confirm the foxing. Then you are out shipping both ways. That's the gamble. 

Less of a gamble on costs if you send it to CGC with a new order, piggyback it.

^^

On 9/3/2023 at 12:38 PM, Socrates73 said:

I sent in my ASM 316 1989 to CGC for grading, graders notes claim “foxing” to cover. I have been collecting for years and have several thousand comics, I have never seen fixing on a comic from that time. I personally think the grade and notes are for a comic not the one submitted. I now have to CPR…. So frustrating. 

I've seen foxing on comics from that era and later. (shrug)

Also, ASM 316 is not Venom's first cover appearance, but it could be called the first Venom cover.