• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the days when people paid huge money for old comic books?
2 2

232 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2023 at 7:48 PM, N e r V said:

Smoking pot, listening to Led Zeppelin and reading Lord of the Rings is probably about the most 1970’s you could get in California .I grew up by the beach so throw a Hang Ten T-shirt on and stop by the local head shop before heading off to beach for the over the line tournament and you were set. If you wanted some light adult reading grab an issue of Zap to go. I could roll with the best of them by age 13…

Indeed! Growing up in SO CA in the late ‘60’s early ‘70’s was indeed a wonderful time. Comic cons and used book stores, concerts, and hanging out at the beach. We are indeed lucky to be the age we are and grow up where we did. :headbang:

On 9/19/2023 at 1:00 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Ha ha I grew up next to the beach in New Jersey. Things weren't do different there except our beach season was way too short compared to California! But we had all those things and my little home town even had a head shop that sold undergrounds. I remember walking in there to look at them when I was 11 or so and being very confused!! Not tom mention they cost 50 cents!! Ha Ha!

In no way is it the same business these days but one of the most visited head shops for me as a youth was about 15 miles away. It carried all sorts of cool items from underground’s to black light posters including all those Third Eye Marvel posters/postcards/puzzles and an assortment of the “hip” t-shirts and on and on. Fantastic place I could spend a lot of time in. It opened in 1969 and actually still stands today as a smoke and vape business. I like to occasionally drive by and remember what is was…:frown:

IMG_6140.thumb.webp.87d9b0ac3bbe5c216c25aad01e4778fa.webp

IMG_6141.jpeg.41d24adbf3273820975593c1edce7520.jpeg

IMG_6142.jpeg.18d9b458b9977137d93f8ead73164abf.jpeg

IMG_6143.jpeg.4b94245ec0eeae4a1a90e486080d3a69.jpeg

IMG_6144.thumb.jpeg.6d6b72808f4db02f548f91cebb3451a4.jpeg

IMG_6145.thumb.webp.f4af5c49bd3e6f43905de38dc9b92e56.webp

On 9/30/2023 at 7:57 AM, Marty Mann said:

IMG  PASSAIC BOOK CENTER  (200 dpi)     .jpg

The other interesting thing is that the listed discounts apply only to multiply copies of a single issue.  Only a handful (on this page anyway) even have enough copies to quality.  On the other hand, you can get 20 copies of Battlestar Galactica #9 for less than $0.26 apiece.

On 10/1/2023 at 10:21 AM, KCOComics said:

Look at the prices on those pre-batmam Tecs!!  I mean, all of the prices were shocking by today's standards, but those stood out. 

Wasn't Chuck asking top $$$ at the time? 

Yeah, at least double guide maybe more. The pre Batman ones were not very popular then. How about Supe 1 in fine for $3K? A pretty jaw dropping price even back then.

Just imagine what Mask 1 & 2 and those Wartime Romances with that upstart Matt Baker guided for???

On 10/1/2023 at 3:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, at least double guide maybe more. The pre Batman ones were not very popular then. How about Supe 1 in fine for $3K? A pretty jaw dropping price even back then.

Just imagine what Mask 1 & 2 and those Wartime Romances with that upstart Matt Baker guided for???

It is incredible how trends change! 

Sup1 was always a big book. But imagine grabing those Bakers and Coles for under $100 apiece. 

On 10/2/2023 at 4:03 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

What stands out here to me, is Captain America 100 for a dollar (limit 2 per order) Wow!!!

It had come out just a few years earlier, and everyone at the time knew how common it was (along with the other Marvel 1968 "#1s").

On 10/1/2023 at 1:03 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

What stands out here to me, is Captain America 100 for a dollar (limit 2 per order) Wow!!!

This was a VERY common book back then. Lots of warehouse copies floating around then. A buck does seem a little cheap back then though. 

On 10/1/2023 at 6:49 PM, KCOComics said:

It is incredible how trends change! 

Sup1 was always a big book. But imagine grabing those Bakers and Coles for under $100 apiece. 

Under $50 and WELL under $50. for Bakers. These books were totally unknown and pretty much worthless to collectors then. I think I paid Redbeard a little under a hundred for Mask #1 and #2 in mid grade a couple years later. He turned me on to LB Cole and I was grabbing all I could find and afford before many discovered him. Ron had vision…

On 10/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, Marty Mann said:

Remember, my entire collection of 750+ books only cost a total of about $80.00..this is all sheer madness to my senses.:whatthe:.

The melt value of the Silver dimes we used to buy these books though, is now about $1.80; not numismatic, just Silver content.