• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the days when people paid huge money for old comic books?
2 2

232 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2023 at 8:56 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

His reputation really got around. There was a flea market in Central New Jersey called Collingwood Auctions; it was the low rent equivalent of the Englishtown auction a bit further inland. Both had sources of vintage comics in permanent stands. At Collingwood a dealer seemed to have an endless supply of newstand returns but they were priced per Rogofsky and we never bought them. They did have cheap Harvey giants and Warren magazines by the score; I picked up lots of Spirit issues from them. At Englishtown a guy named Herman Neuberger (sp?) from Brooklyn had somehow come upon a huge stash of mid to late sixties Marvels and doled them out to drooling fans like a stingy pharmacist. Prices were all sub $1. though so you always went there for a weekly comic fix. Good times, the Englishtown auction went up in smoke in 1977 so lots of those books burnt down in that fire. You can almost smell them burning in the photo below!

image.png.36083aa9799d3d423ecf477fd8681654.png

I grew up on the West Coast so never went there. I have picked the East Coast a lot over the years. I almost always found GA books at the Elephant’s Trunk in CT, Brimfield shows in MA and the Adamstown flea markets in PA. Haven’t been to them since before Covid so I have no idea anymore. I suspect, vintage comics have dried up even in those areas by now.