• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice re pricing art for sale ?

13 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2023 at 9:48 AM, SpineTic said:

:thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics:

I disagree. Answering his question, "How do you come up with a target price?" does not require pictures of his art. For that, the responder would only need to describe how they approach the problem and the OP doesn't need to post art. His approach avoids PMs with lowball offers.

If he asked, "What is this worth?" and didn't include pictures, I'd agree with you. 

Apart from Alex’s excellent general advice, don’t forget to consider how badly you want to sell it, whether it will have limited fan interest, and which way is the market headed. Most things go up, but not everything, and picking a price also requires recognition of how different artists and combinations on particular books make a big difference. Ross Andru on Spider-man will do a lot better than Ross Andru on the Phantom Stranger, so when doing comparisons, be careful. 

On 9/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Apart from Alex’s excellent general advice, don’t forget to consider how badly you want to sell it, whether it will have limited fan interest, and which way is the market headed. Most things go up, but not everything, and picking a price also requires recognition of how different artists and combinations on particular books make a big difference. Ross Andru on Spider-man will do a lot better than Ross Andru on the Phantom Stranger, so when doing comparisons, be careful. 

Rick is right. Something that I find valuable, e.g., my faux Sugar and Spike 100 covers, would be worth less than nothing to most people. The demand seems tied to published artist/character/story combinations for the high prices.

On 9/5/2023 at 5:11 PM, Will_K said:

Doesn't it, always come back to Ross Andru with you ??  lol

He’s just so easy. I could also go with Aparo and Green Arrow vs. Aparo and Aquaman, or next level, Spectre. Or Byrne and X-men//FF v. Byrne and Next Men…you get it.

On 9/6/2023 at 7:04 AM, Rick2you2 said:

He’s just so easy. I could also go with Aparo and Green Arrow vs. Aparo and Aquaman, or next level, Spectre. Or Byrne and X-men//FF v. Byrne and Next Men…you get it.

You could say that about virtually any artist on Aquaman. 

ADDING: I'll except Paul Norris (his co-creator) and Ramona Fradon (a fan favorite) on Aquaman. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17