• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing Graded Books
4 4

23 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there is some type of formula that is used, when it comes to pricing graded books. To be more specific, graded books that don't have the luxury of ebay or gpa analysis for comparisons. 

For example, an Atlas PCH Astonishing #9 CGC (7.5) just sold on ebay for $1,050 this past weekend. I happen to have the same book graded CGC (9.0). I paid around $400 12 years ago raw. The (9.0) is the current, lone highest graded. And the next grade under is the (7.5) of which there are two. There are no recent comparable sales other than the (7.5) on ebay.

My question is, where in the heck do I value my book? I'm assuming some other factors play a roll like highest graded, how many in that grade, etc. But I'm at a total loss. 

Is there some sort of mathematical formula that is semi standard to use? When it comes to what a (9.0) would be valued at versus a (7.5)? Or is it just sort of the wild west. Is a (8.5) book worth 1.5x what a (7.0) book is worth? That kind of thing. I know for many books (especially silver age) it's relatively easy. I know if I have a Submariner #1 in (6.5) I can find out pretty quickly what the value of that is. There are numerous examples everywhere and recent sales. But there are a lot of books where that's not the case. 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I know the vast array of knowledgeble board members, many of who are dealers, can hopefully shed some light.

If it is one unique comic that you are looking for an estimate of value on, I would surf around for a seller of that seems to specialize in that type of comic.  Then contact them asking for some free advice, if willing, on the value of your comic.  The price they would ask if they owned it.  You might get a response that would help you out.

For instance, maybe Ted at @Superworld could offer an opinion.

I have that problem too with GA books that haven't sold an issue of that book in the past 12 years, so there is nothing to go on.  I look at other books in that series in that grade for some idea and the closest one is an issue with an iconic cover.  Can't compare to that either.

You can put it in an auction if you are unsure how to price it.  Assuming you are in no r\ush, you could price it at $2500 and see if anyone bites or makes an offer.

Highest graded copies  also make good trade bait.

On 9/5/2023 at 1:25 PM, HemiGTX said:

Or is it just sort of the wild west. 

Pretty much the way I see it. Rare book, highest graded,low census pch Atlas with no previous sales in over a decade; you can pretty much name your price and are pretty sure to get a buyer, at least willing to negotiate. Just depends on how willing you are to part with it

On 9/5/2023 at 2:27 PM, shadroch said:

You can put it in an auction if you are unsure how to price it.  Assuming you are in no r\ush, you could price it at $2500 and see if anyone bites or makes an offer.

Highest graded copies  also make good trade bait.

Actually agree that $2,500 is a pretty fair estimate unless you get 2 people looking for Registry points or bragging rights.

Let's see that bad boy @HemiGTX  :headbang:

-bc

No formula. I’d just pride high and lower over time if offering it up. Like 5k seems like a lot for that book. 2-3k seems possible so I’d start around there. You’d know pretty quickly too after getting no offers after listing…

As an example my brother found a rare old skateboard that he could not find any sales info on recently. He started at $1000which he felt was high but didn’t know. He had people watching but no one reached out. Then he dropped down to $700 and interest picked up. So that’s probably the value and he went with the best offer from there 

On 9/5/2023 at 8:03 PM, comicginger1789 said:

No formula. I’d just pride high and lower over time if offering it up. Like 5k seems like a lot for that book. 2-3k seems possible so I’d start around there. You’d know pretty quickly too after getting no offers after listing…

As an example my brother found a rare old skateboard that he could not find any sales info on recently. He started at $1000which he felt was high but didn’t know. He had people watching but no one reached out. Then he dropped down to $700 and interest picked up. So that’s probably the value and he went with the best offer from there 

THIS seems to make the most sense to me. Thanks for all of your wisdom and responses.

On 9/5/2023 at 9:02 PM, MattTheDuck said:

There's a 6.0 on High Grade Comics available at $600.

To me that sounds about right.  A (6.0) for $600 and a (7.5) for $1,050 makes sense in my little brain. Plus, Bob is usually willing to deal. So truth be told you could probably get that (6.0) for $550 all day long.

Edited by HemiGTX
typo

On 9/6/2023 at 3:25 AM, HemiGTX said:

Is there some sort of mathematical formula that is semi standard to use?

I have a curve fitted to data that gives a reasonable estimate for gold and silver (I haven't tried it on other ages) if there aren't factors like highest graded, pedigree etc. Here's a screen grab of the values table.

image.png.071709badcd453dca33573a9b53576cc.png

Using your example, the ratio of a 9.0 to a 7.5 would be 80/41 (RH column), so for your example a 9.0 would be $1050 x 80/41 = $2050. In your case since it's a pedigree, I'd expect to get more than that.

With a lone top census copy, I'd put the book up for auction, in this case with an auction site that has an especially strong track record with precode Atlas.  You might be surprised what two motivated potential buyers might be willing to pay for a lone top census copy that's from a pedigree collection.  No pricing formula needed.

Gorgeous book.

On 9/5/2023 at 10:47 PM, AJD said:

I have a curve fitted to data that gives a reasonable estimate for gold and silver (I haven't tried it on other ages) if there aren't factors like highest graded, pedigree etc. Here's a screen grab of the values table.

image.png.071709badcd453dca33573a9b53576cc.png

Using your example, the ratio of a 9.0 to a 7.5 would be 80/41 (RH column), so for your example a 9.0 would be $1050 x 80/41 = $2050. In your case since it's a pedigree, I'd expect to get more than that.

This is pretty good, and I expect there are also others out there doing similar type work, but they're a bit less generous with the sharing and what not.  

Of course people can add/subtract variables and data to make the estimates more accurate, just depends on one's math ability AND how much time/data they want to put in.  But your's seems quite reasonable as a starting point.

On 9/5/2023 at 7:23 PM, HemiGTX said:

To me that sounds about right.  A (6.0) for $600 and a (7.5) for $1,050 makes sense in my little brain. Plus, Bob is usually willing to deal. So truth be told you could probably get that (6.0) for $550 all day long.

It depends whether you're his friend or not.