• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comics Lore Unpopular Opinion Thread
2 2

167 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, here you can post everything you think about a charachter, series, story... that everyone will probably be in discord with you.

I said EVERYTHING!

Hope you enjoy to follow this page!

I'm going to start with this one >

Bane is more related to Azrael than to batman!

About that has you alreday seen this cover?

657621.jpg.12eb779cadcaeccf926f393a6443924b.jpg

Edited by BA773

On 9/10/2023 at 4:26 PM, Robot Man said:

I’ve said it before and suprisingly, didn’t get as much push back as I figured I would.

I realize the popularity and significance of IH 181. But what a stinker of a book. Poorly written and lousy art. I recently tried to read it again and just couldn’t get through it. I have read many much better Wolverine stories although he has never been one of my favorite characters.

IH 181 is a perfect book for a CGC slab.

I never read this issue so I have any idea if it's good or not, but my first thought is that book is only so desired because (and like a tons of other books) there is a first appearence into them, and what a first appearence! 

Unpopular opinion 1: X-Men 94 is one of the most poorly written comics ever. The ones that come closet to the title are single digit Avengers comics. 

Unpopular opinion 2: Hulk 181 is the most overpriced book out there. Although some serious collectors love it, there are a gazillion copies available and the value is continually propped up by people on the fringes of the hobby who think Wolverine is cool because they recognize him as cool from the first X-Men movies. 

On 9/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, Dr. Balls said:

"James Howlett" was a good choice for Wolverine's real name.

A little better than Lupus ‘Wild Dog’ de Wolff, I supposed at the time of the Origin mini-series. Could’ve been worse.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/10/2023 at 5:16 PM, Readcomix said:

If you think those books are unreadable try reading the Silver Age Hawkman relaunch in Brave and the Bold. 

Great Joe Kubert artwork, though. The stories were fairly typical DC Silver Age standard. From a modern perspective, a lot of the material appears simplistic and formulaic. Same criticism could be applied to other series, such as Justice League, or the science-fiction and mystery titles.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/10/2023 at 3:26 PM, Robot Man said:

I’ve said it before and suprisingly, didn’t get as much push back as I figured I would.

I realize the popularity and significance of IH 181. But what a stinker of a book. Poorly written and lousy art. I recently tried to read it again and just couldn’t get through it. I have read many much better Wolverine stories although he has never been one of my favorite characters.

IH 181 is a perfect book for a CGC slab.

For me, it’s overrated because it didn’t read as anything special, anything separating it out from the rest of the Englehart / Wein / Trimpe run from that period, story and art-wise. Part of a solid, consistent, but far from exceptional run. Thought it was okay, nothing more. That still leaves me in agreement with the level of hype imposed upon it.  As well as being great slab material, I’ll point out that both the digital and archival remastered book versions look superb.

On 9/10/2023 at 5:28 PM, topofthetotem said:

Watchmen is overrated.

Thought it was a masterpiece back in the 80s, but I’m in a fairly sizeable group that by now has come to dislike the space squid ending.

On 9/10/2023 at 4:32 PM, Stefan_W said:

Unpopular opinion 1: X-Men 94 is one of the most poorly written comics ever. 

Nothing much that interesting happens. Cockrum’s artwork is crushed by extremely poor inking.

It’s not great.

On 9/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, Readcomix said:

And Ronin is boring

I was reading a lot of European / Heavy Metal material at the time, so the tone, art and storytelling fitted in well with that.

American mainstream, not really.  Very different.

On 9/10/2023 at 4:32 PM, Stefan_W said:

Unpopular opinion 2: Hulk 181 is the most overpriced book out there. Although some serious collectors love it, there are a gazillion copies available and the value is continually propped up by people on the fringes of the hobby who think Wolverine is cool because they recognize him as cool from the first X-Men movies. 

Don’t see that as an unpopular opinion.

Quite a common understanding amongst older collectors.

Mentioned, with a degree of contempt, several times during chats I’ve had at conventions.

On 9/10/2023 at 8:32 AM, Stefan_W said:

Unpopular opinion 1: X-Men 94 is one of the most poorly written comics ever. The ones that come closet to the title are single digit Avengers comics. 

I don’t think I’ve read X-Men 94 since I bought off the rack. I don’t remember it being anything that stood out, just “different”. A good time to dig it out for a second read…

On 9/10/2023 at 9:33 PM, Robot Man said:

I don’t think I’ve read X-Men 94 since I bought off the rack. I don’t remember it being anything that stood out, just “different”. A good time to dig it out for a second read…

It’s basically the slow, boring start to a two-part story which gets better in issue 95, with its tragic ending.

On 9/10/2023 at 1:49 PM, Ken Aldred said:

A little better than Lupus ‘Wild Dog’ de Wolff, I supposed at the time of the Origin mini-series. Could’ve been worse.

There's a special place in Hell reserved for Joe Quesada and his not-fit-for-toilet-paper Origin mini-series and cosmic-level stupidity in giving Logan another name. Subsequent editors that continue to require Logan be called "James" will hopefully be roasting down there with him.

tom-jerry-tom-jerry-hell.gif