• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comics Lore Unpopular Opinion Thread
2 2

167 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2023 at 8:23 PM, Mark Warren said:

I always assume the modern variant cover collectors will eventually realize how they're throwing their money away when they have to buy a dozen or more different copies of a single issue just to keep up with trends, but I've been wrong before. I'm hoping, a decade from now, to see all that stuff filling up dollar-boxes in every comic shop across America.

It's cute that you think there will be comic shops in ten years.  I can't share your optimism.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:14 AM, AJD said:

Golden Age artist Fletcher Hanks was ahead of Kirby in the mono-expression stakes

Hanks.JPG.8b2ac55420d3c5a7cd8454ad67a03c67.JPG

Good call. I’d forgotten about him.

On 9/14/2023 at 1:35 PM, shadroch said:

I received Origins of Marvel comics as a Christmas present in '74 or '75. I was really looking forward to reading the first Thor, as I'd never read it and didn't own any of the JIM run. I'll just say I was disappointed.

I don't recall it being that bad, especially by the standards of the time. (shrug)

On 9/14/2023 at 4:35 AM, shadroch said:

I was really looking forward to reading the first Thor, as I'd never read it and didn't own any of the JIM run. I'll just say I was disappointed.

Do you mean how coincidental it is?

Blake just happening across a particular cave in Norway?

:cheers:

On 9/13/2023 at 8:59 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Do you mean how coincidental it is?

Blake just happening across a particular cave in Norway?

He didn't wander in. It was pre-ordained. It's not like he had free will.  

Edited by shadroch

On 9/14/2023 at 4:14 AM, AJD said:

Golden Age artist Fletcher Hanks was ahead of Kirby in the mono-expression stakes

Hanks.JPG.8b2ac55420d3c5a7cd8454ad67a03c67.JPG

The greatest question is in which situation this charachter has been constipated?

Edited by BA773

On 9/14/2023 at 5:08 AM, shadroch said:

:cheers:

He didn't wander in. It was pre-ordained. It's not like he had free will.  

Probably more of a later retcon than present in the origin itself.

A while since I’ve read it, though.

On 9/14/2023 at 6:23 AM, HouseofComics.Com said:

This thread is really good!

My unpopular take is that Frank Robbins did a good job on Invaders. Somehow his art fits there. (I hate his Batman.)

To be fair, Robbins’ style, even in the 70s, was looking a bit old-fashioned, and, if for anything, it would suit Nazi-smashing stories set in the Golden Age quite well.

On 9/14/2023 at 8:23 AM, BA773 said:

The greatest question is in which situation this charachter has been constipated?

The artist captures the agony and frustration of extreme impaction perfectly.

On 9/14/2023 at 4:44 AM, Ken Aldred said:

To be fair, Robbins’ style, even in the 70s, was looking a bit old-fashioned, and, if for anything, it would suit Nazi-smashing stories set in the Golden Age quite well.

Robbins does seem to get a lot of hate, particularly in the original art world, and I think it's exactly what you said: compared to what was going on at the time, his stuff looks a bit out of date. But I still think it looks cool, and it was a perfect fit for the Invaders.

I personally enjoyed Kirby's writing, particularly on the Fourth World. When I was a kid, it seemed kinda stilted, even forced. Now, as an adult, it is so specific to him, I wouldn't want it any other way. It is the very essence of melodrama, which is what that stuff was all about. Kirby takes GRAND swings. Everything going on in the Fourth World books is high drama, super intense, VERY BIG. The writing matches that. It's operatic. His weird use of emphasis, it eventually just clicks into place.

On 9/14/2023 at 8:39 AM, F For Fake said:

Robbins does seem to get a lot of hate, particularly in the original art world, and I think it's exactly what you said: compared to what was going on at the time, his stuff looks a bit out of date. But I still think it looks cool, and it was a perfect fit for the Invaders.

He really did tone down the Schomburg cover for the Invaders Giant Size 1.  Imagine that cover if someone else had worked it?  It would be a classic, huge book.

On 9/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, F For Fake said:

I personally enjoyed Kirby's writing, particularly on the Fourth World. When I was a kid, it seemed kinda stilted, even forced. Now, as an adult, it is so specific to him, I wouldn't want it any other way. It is the very essence of melodrama, which is what that stuff was all about. Kirby takes GRAND swings. Everything going on in the Fourth World books is high drama, super intense, VERY BIG. The writing matches that. It's operatic. His weird use of emphasis, it eventually just clicks into place.

Absolutely. I like Kirby’s writing because it’s so metal, loud and in-your-face.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1. "Dark Reign" was the very best Marvel Crossover and also represents the pinnacle of Marvel Comics storytelling. The period from 2000-2015 (when Brian Michael Bendis began writing Daredevil through Secret Wars 2015) is the true "Golden Age" of Marvel Comics.

2. The 66 issue Suicide Squad run written by John Ostrander is the best series ever released by DC Comics. The Justice League by Giffen, DeMatteis and Maguire is a close runner up.

3. Jack Kirby is hugely overrated. His art is terrible and his writing even worse.

4. Black Sabbath was better with Ronnie James Dio than Ozzy Osbourne. Osbourne is a hack who - along with his Witch Wife - has taken credit and basically stolen all of the contributions of everyone associated with his solo career.

5. Secret Wars II was even worse than Secret Wars I which was horrible. The 2015 Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman was far better than either.

6. Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman and should remain so for the next 150 years.

7. Man of Steel is a great film and one of the Top 10 Comic Book movies of all time.

8. People who really, truly believe the Earth is flat are dangerous and should not be able to hold a drivers license or vote. They should also probably be under house arrest.

9. Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy is the best thing to ever happen to the Star Wars Universe. It should be 100% canon and that universe should revolve around the Zahn books.

10. Grant Morrison's X-Men run was terrible and boring.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:30 PM, Kramerica said:

Jack Kirby is hugely overrated. His art is terrible and his writing even worse.

Kirby is the most metal comic book writer of all time.

Here's an example of his genius...

"In the context of destruction, Orion transcends the term !

To oppose him is to die ! To survive him is life lived in fragmented form !"

Brilliant.

Edited by Ken Aldred