• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show your artwork, or not

21 posts in this topic

I'm new to OA (just got my first two pieces in today) and I have many questions. One is the argument that showing your artwork is bad. I don't understand how this can be. Any opinions on this? I seem to remember the argument going that if you show off the art, the value goes down for potential sales in the future.

I show mine - i think that's half the fun of it. And too, I'm much more likely to buy something I've seen that someone else has that I liked (and was waiting for a chance to buy) than for something that just popped up on eBay. But too, it is the individual's preference.

I'm new to OA (just got my first two pieces in today) and I have many questions. One is the argument that showing your artwork is bad. I don't understand how this can be. Any opinions on this? I seem to remember the argument going that if you show off the art, the value goes down for potential sales in the future.

Thats Krazy Kat talk

How are you supposed to sell art if you dont show it.

Krazy Kat says dont show cause he likes to pretend he owns art but he just lies about it

I agree. The only person I have heard say that is KrazyKat. If you viewed some of his posts, you would see that he is not normal. screwy.gif It's ok to show it.

NOT NORMAL?!!!! That's a severe understatement, I have seen Rhesus Monkeys flinging dung(don't ask), that was more normal than that guy. But he, apparently, has a sweet collection of OA. And can be an occasionally useful source of info. Just remember, take all that he says with a grain of salt.

I set up my online gallery to share my collection. I like browsing others collections and don't mind sharing the collection that has taken me 7+ years (so far) to gather. I think the thousands of people at www.comicartfans.com probably agree with me.

Check my Signature to see how valuable my Preacher pages are wink.gif

Show yer ART! So everyone can enjoy it!

I agree - this is a visual medium. I think you lose a lot of the value (not necessarily money-wise, but enjoyment wise) by not being able to see/let others see it. Also, there are several artists whose original art is much more appealing than the finished product (two artists that I think this definitely applies to are Cary Nord and J.G. Jones - especially in the raw, penciled form - I mean, shading in those cases can bring to light a magnificent chiasocuro that might have been obscured by the brush of an average inker). But too- this is all personal preference.

The argument that putting art on display decreases their potential value stems from dealers sites, where art (or books, for that matter) is "for sale" and ends up sitting at a certain price. Over time, everyone has seen its availability, and figures it must be way overpriced. This scenario does not occur on a personal web page, where the art isn't for sale, and does not have a price tag. It is unavailable. Values on such pieces will continue to accrue, as people see an item that they may want, but can't have. In fact, you might actually get some "crazy" high offers to sell it, as potential buyers know they'd have to somehow pry it out of your collection. Anyway, that has been my experience.

Best,

I agree with Hari.

In addition, if you have your items posted on a site like CAF or one of your own making, and you also have a want list posted that people can view, you may get some interesting trade offers out of the blue.

So git that art posted! yay.gif

I agree with Hari.

In addition, if you have your items posted on a site like CAF or one of your own making, and you also have a want list posted that people can view, you may get some interesting trade offers out of the blue.

So git that art posted! yay.gif

Very, very true.

If you're not going to display it, what's the point? I don't know about anybody else, but for me, seeing a piece on sale that I've seen before increases its value to me. It's like seeing a painting in a museum that you previously saw in a book, the interest is naturally more.

I remember seeing a terrific Black Canary by Buzz and Michael Bair. I was so taken with it that I saved it and colorized it. Then, it unexpectantly went on sale as a buy it now. My immediate reaction was, "Omigod, I can actually own this!" I did the buy it now right away even though it was twice what I'd ever paid for a piece before that. There is simply no way I would have jumped on that if I hadn't been prepped by previous viewing and it is unlikely I would have departed from my previous practice so dramatically for a piece I was seeing for the first time.

There is only down side to showing your art off that I can see. If you collect a LOT of one artist, or are trying to complete a book or something like that. If you advertise that, people who have something you want may see your gallery and try to take advantage of you by charging you an arm and a leg.

But if you've been collecting one artist or book, etc, you know what the market is and could just refuse the offer.

Or another reason that KK himself has implied in past posts is that perhaps the ownership of said art may be in question and showing it will only bring legal entanglements that may prove to be quite burdensome.