• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000ad - To Slab or not to Slab
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

Looking for some opinions on whether I should look to get my first three issues of 2000ad graded and encapsulated with CGC. This would be a means to an end as my ultimate ambition would be to sell them once this is done. Given their (possible lack of?) quality (and imperfect free gifts) I wasn't sure if getting them slabbed would be worth the expense. I live in the UK.

Prog 1 - Has yellowed pages and (unfortunately) no longer has the Space Spinner with it.

Prog 2 - Has yellowed pages but still has the Biotronic Stickers with it. Unfortunately one is missing (13 year old me stuck it on my forearm as instructed and when it lost it's stickiness I stuck it on my wardrobe door - that wardrobe and it's door is now long deceased!). The 'Third Eye' sticker has lost it's stickiness and is now loose from the backing sheet.

Prog 3 - Has yellowed pages and a tear on the back cover but still has the Red Alert wallet with it. This has been made up and has some writing on it (black felt tip men, what a wise pen choice I made at the time!).

I also have issues 4 and 5 and can upload those images if anyone thinks they're significant. Would be chuffed if anyone was able to offer any advice please. Thanks very much.

Regards

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

These books show numerous moderate creases, tears, spine stress with spine ticks/stress lines, moderate staple tears, moderately worn/blunted corners/edges with color loss, moderate to severe spine roll and moderate discoloration and staining.

These books appear to be in the VG 4.0 range.

After a quick check, books in similar condition to yours have sold on eBay auctions for about $56.00 (+/-) ($45 GBP).

CGC slabs do not offer any more protection than a Mylite and Acid Free Board, they are not airtight nor are they UV protected and slabs must be stored in the same/proper conditions as raw books.

IMO, if you are keeping these books just properly bag/board/store them, if you are looking to sell, then yes, by all means have them graded, the question then becomes, will the cost of grading out weigh the value of the book?

PGM = Please Grade My Books

POSTING LIMITS
2. Please post only one (1) book per thread and a maximum of three (3) books per person in a 24 hour period. It will make it more enjoyable for people to grade and will also encourage more people to grade your submission.

Rules/Regulations are listed here...