• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this really a VFN book with those chips in the right-hand edge?
3 3

22 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2023 at 8:31 PM, scburdet said:

I think those are too big to be considered chips. More like a few small pieces out.

See the pinned thread for posting guidelines on PGM. The minimum photos required are full front and back shots to get a grade

I thought so too. But the eBay seller is a big name in the UK comics industry so I thought that I'd ask for a second opinion

"See the pinned thread for posting guidelines on PGM". Forgive me but I am an old duffer and don't know what is meant here. Could you supply a link?

On 9/11/2023 at 9:14 PM, zzutak said:

The oxidation halo and the shape of the missing chips are a big red flag that the cover edges may no longer be supple.  At a minimum, I would want to see a clear pic of the back cover, the inside front and back covers, and the interior.  Even without the chips, I'd have a very hard time awarding a VF to any book with an obvious cream/tan halo.  A book's final grade will always reflect age-related blemishes as well as handling wear.

Picture 2 of 3

Just based on the front cover, I would have said the max is 7.0, which would require a generous allowance for the total area of missing pieces. The back has foxing and the paper is generally starting to tan. I'd think 6.0 is more like the ceiling with the full book considered. 

not VF, this is either overgraded or listed incorrectly

Edited by scburdet