• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

when did comics company change size from golden age to silver age?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Approximately 1960 the change in size took place, but that is a general consensus, I have Golden Age Atlas Westerns from the late 40's/early 50's (Kid Colt, Two Gun Kid) and the books are not the same size from issue to issue, some fit nicely in Golden Age Mylites and others, just a few issues apart swim in the same size Mylite and there is no consistency to it.

I hope you find a more concise answer.

Dell comics continued with “Golden Age” size well into the 1960s long after everybody else had moved to the slightly smaller format. Of course comics reduced in width again in the 1970s or was it the 1980s. Seems like yesterday.

Through the 1950s most companies  managed to retain the 10cent price by reducing the page count from 52 to 36.

lt’s only recently that I realised that 1940s World’s Finest comics were thicker than all other DCs and cost a whopping 15cents. I wonder why that was the only comic in their range produced in that format?

Can you point me to an example of this. I've just looked at the Grand Comic Database. World's Finest 2 and the next few issues had 100 pages. Then they went down to 92 pages, then 84 then 76 then 68 pages. All cost 15cents as far as I can see. From issue 71 they are down to 36 pages and 10cents like all the other DCs.

wf71.thumb.jpg.ecf92b164ecd3ad2cd6469bca7c0a12a.jpg