• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Vs. DC and Amalgams
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I am currently grading and pricing these books to sell, although I bought these books new and they are low dollar books I am having a hard time finding info about the series.

1)How can I tell the difference between 1st and 2nd prints? there is nothing noted in the Indicia.(Marvel vs. DC issues 1 and 2, Amalgam Legends Of The Dark Claw)

2)Issue 1 and two of the Amalgam books have a blank UPC box, all I can find online about this is it is listed as a "Blank UPC Variant", but what does it mean, is it related to 1st and 2nd prints?

Thanks In Advance.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

The Dark Claw is not a 2nd print, but a 1st print variant. If it was a 2nd print, there would be a Roman Numeral 2 on the top right. View here at mcs: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=84341

For value, you can check eBay sales, if there are any recent. My recollection is that it sells raw for about double the Direct copy. I don't know where they originate from.

The M/DC 1 is a 2nd print. The Roman Numeral 2 is on the top left near the #1 in your photo. You can look that up at mcs, too.

The blank UPC box signifies that these most likely originated in muli-packs.  It's the same overall category as the DCU variants (fairly big thread on that in Copper Age).  If I remember correctly these were only for the books that DC comics published from the set.  If you're curious which ones just take a look at generic images of the books, DC and Marvel had subtle differences in the UPC style during that era (font, size, etc.).

Edited by kenaran
Typo Fix

your question about the Amalgam books which have a blank UPC box:

There are six issues with Blank UPC boxes:

- Amazon #1
- Assassins #1
- Doctor StrangeFate #1
- JLX #1
- Legends of the Dark Claw #1
- Super Soldier #1

They came with the Amalgam Comics Coll Set #1 and #2, which were released in 1996.

---

Amalgam Comics Collector's Set (1996)

No. 1 release date: 26.06.1996

includes: JLX #1, Doctor Strangefate #1, Legends of the Dark Claw #1, and a Skybox trading card.

No. 2 release date: 24.07.1996

includes: Amazon #1, Assassins #1, Super-Soldier #1, and a Skybox trading card.

---

At this time, the standard way of marking books included in sets with the "DC U" Logo was already introduced, so don't ask me why these books don't have the DCU instead of the blank boxes.

Well, the obvious explanation may be that these books weren't DCs, but Amalgams. So marking them with "DC U" was not possible.

Bye,

Archi