• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Entry level keys, collectibility, and data
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2023 at 8:53 PM, 10centcomics said:

If CGC did away with different color labels for books and simply just listed defects and any restoration work on a standardized label, I bet restored books wouldn't be hit with as drastic a value reduction. 

And yes I wish everyone would stop the practice of scraping off CT. CGC should not "reward" this behavior with blue labels.

I could be wrong, but I believe the other company implemented that several years ago. Got rid of a gray label or something and now they just list the resto on the normal label. Pretty sure nothing changed with any sales. If anything you just have to be much more careful when buying a book, make sure to read the label carefully. But once again, I could be wrong. Just what I recall.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:38 PM, Telegan said:

I don't actively look for purple label books, but I've always found it humorous that a book with color touch gets a purple label thereby probably drastically reducing its value, but if you carve the color touch out such that the book looks like swiss cheese or just rip the cover off and throw it in the trash, it can get a blue label, and it becomes "ok to collect".  In this regard, I'm not sure I blame the CGC, but rather the consumer for creating this monster. lol.

I've even thought about actively looking for good deals on purple label books lately.

Right, because you're not adding anything to the book but the book will probably grade much lower depending on how much color touch was involved.

On 9/21/2023 at 4:53 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the other company implemented that several years ago. Got rid of a gray label or something and now they just list the resto on the normal label. Pretty sure nothing changed with any sales. If anything you just have to be much more careful when buying a book, make sure to read the label carefully. But once again, I could be wrong. Just what I recall.

this is correct