• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade effect of 2-3 inch tear in back cover of otherwise solid 5.0+ book?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

If a book appears to be a solid 5.0 or higher, glossy, cover chipping around edges, spine complete no splits, how much would a 2-3 inch tear in the back cover affect the grade? Just the back cover, does not appear to be any tape/attempts to repair.

Edited by Ray Monroe

On 9/19/2023 at 10:11 AM, Ray Monroe said:

If a book appears to be a solid 5.0 or higher, glossy, cover chipping around edges, spine complete no splits, how much would a 2-3 inch tear in the back cover affect the grade? Just the back cover, does not appear to be any tape/attempts to repair.

Tears are treated more severely than creases but less than missing pieces. Unless they're extensive, they usually have little to no effect on lower grade books that exhibit other defects. But of course, a 2-3 inch long tear would be considered extensive. As a ballpark estimate, I'd say that it'd probably put an otherwise VG/FN book somewhere in the Good range...  

On 9/29/2023 at 5:40 AM, The Lions Den said:

Tears are treated more severely than creases but less than missing pieces. Unless they're extensive, they usually have little to no effect on lower grade books that exhibit other defects. But of course, a 2-3 inch long tear would be considered extensive. As a ballpark estimate, I'd say that it'd probably put an otherwise VG/FN book somewhere in the Good range...  

I agree.

If it's a 5.0 and has around a 3" tear it's probably a 4.0.

Get a tear any larger and you're looking at a 3.0 or less.

Go ahead and post eBay pics. Ain't no harm. Gotta see the whole book to make a fair assessment anyways.