• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think Small, Show us your Digests!
8 8

300 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2024 at 1:09 PM, Darwination said:

The Croydons have aren't so polished but have their own special look.  My fave is the Scandals at a Nudist Colony.  I knew the Immoral Models was a cut above (as far as artistry), looked it up and it's Lou Marchetti. The redhead is great, but the schmoe in the background isn't nearly as well done.

Hey, that "Schmoe" is Lou Marchetti! lol

They do have a charm, and are devils in high grade. Also a very twisty run, going from all L.B. Cole WWII crime digests, to a run of L.B. Cole romances, including 4 pb sized, then to a long run of ultra thin paper cover digests that include rare  Whittington originals and some wild JD books, highlighted by many Marchetti covers. One of my absolute favorite vintage pb runs. Nobody should seek them out though, there's nothing to see here :sumo:

The digests are just so much fun to collect. As a child of the fifties and sixties, I find the cover art and stories right up my street. Of course, they still are much more affordable than their brothers the pulps. I used to buy dozens at a time (in high grade) from Ray Bowman at 3 to 5 dollars a piece. Very fine was his highest grade. If you are interested, check out the current bid for the 18 issue run of Super-Science Fiction at Heritage. Great Emshwiller and Freas covers, in nice condition. Very expensive, but as @Robot Man likes to say, what if it was a comic with that cover. I think I should take a look at eBay. Hmmm. 

On 5/7/2024 at 3:59 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Hey, that "Schmoe" is Lou Marchetti! lol

I've got trainer I can hook Lou up with - I think the first words he'll say are "push-ups."    Firehair there can pick him out a pair of pants that fits, too.

On 5/7/2024 at 3:59 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Nobody should seek them out though, there's nothing to see here :sumo:

Don't worry, I didn't just go through them all and add *that* many to my list.

On 5/16/2024 at 2:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Great digests (thumbsu    Does this mean it's Atlas Time :whee:?

20240516_172543.thumb.jpg.5735fe7467725ff3cb11d9b539385e47.jpg

The Best Detectives are in another box, will have to take some more pics.

On 5/16/2024 at 3:48 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Please sir, I'd like another :insane:  That's gotta be a Driben

Changed slightly from the comic book cover.