• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think Small, Show us your Digests!
8 8

285 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2024 at 7:02 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I like a nice minty fresh Avon once in a while. They have a certain charm to them.

20240410_201553.thumb.jpg.b736a2ff50ef0c78cf6746f51156b423.jpg

Did we ever figure out the artist on that one?  We agreed the ISFDB was wrong when they said Bok, as I recall.

On 4/10/2024 at 10:30 PM, Darwination said:

I'm not sure who it is, OE, but I think he did at least a couple in the series.

I can say with 100% certainty, though, NOT BOK.

100% not Bok. If I ever have time, maybe i'll collect all of my posts about why I think A.R. Tilburne is the artist on AFR No.2,3,4 and probably 5 & 6 as well and try to put an article together. I think my many points are persuasive. (thumbsu

I'll buy it.  I had 2 and 3 as pegged as the same artist, and 5 and 6 have Tilburne qualities (and happen to be my favorite in the entire run). I'm less sold on 4, though it's right in the middle of this run, so that would tend to point towards him, too.

Here's a cool one (and different) I saw when checking his style.  Scan from my buddy Steve (pulp and magazine Steve, not paperback Steve :bigsmile:)

Short Stories

On 4/10/2024 at 10:48 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

I had just made Tilburne my best guess when I came back and saw your post...

img553.jpg

You been raised right Pat :cheers: 

It's even more obvious if you know the backstory: Weird Tales artist who paints in a "globular" style uses a swipe of an old Weird Tales cover to paint a known "globular" style cover in the same year as fanciful "globular" style covers appear on Avon Fantasy Readers in a style that looks like no other artist in the world than... that Weird Tales artist hm

Including an obvious swipe of a Graves Gladney Shadow cover on AFR No. 6 hm

Nah.. couldn't be the most obvious artist in the Avon/Weird Tales orbit at the time :wavingwhiteflag:

On 4/10/2024 at 10:59 PM, Darwination said:

I'll buy it.  I had 2 and 3 as pegged as the same artist, and 5 and 6 have Tilburne qualities (and happen to be my favorite in the entire run). I'm less sold on 4, though it's right in the middle of this run, so that would tend to point towards him, too.

Here's a cool one (and different) I saw when checking his style.  Scan from my buddy Steve (pulp and magazine Steve, not paperback Steve :bigsmile:)

Short Stories

👊

On 4/10/2024 at 11:09 PM, Darwination said:

A series of images for #2.  I'm not quite sure where I grabbed this first one.  For some reason I don't think any connection was made to these other two which I'd noticed as a swipe. From Harry Clark's Faust:

FaustIllobyHarryClark.jpg.e870e978955c14abadc2420d15ddfefe.jpg

AvonFantasyReader02(1947-05.Avon)cover.thumb.jpg.7e379b085cdf0ea59d7e197ebcb89eca.jpg

Eerie10(1953.Avon)coverHollingsworth(HA)crop.thumb.jpg.8266ecd80849ac510544dd9757bb0339.jpg

Thanks, I guess those are well known in the Golden Age collecting community although I wasn't aware of the Eerie comic until NerV and Goldust40 alerted me in a sale thread (thumbsu I was aware of the swipe elements of the cover though. The dragon is from a Belarski pulp cover.

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 4/10/2024 at 10:59 PM, Darwination said:

Short Stories

That might be his best draftsmanship I've ever seen. He was not that good technically as an artist so did a lot of swiping and his paintings are cartoonish, rather than shaded down to pro finish. I still love his covers though, they catch a mood I think is classic (thumbsu

Totally.  He's got a primitive freakishness going on that's pure awesome.  At least a few of the "lesser" Weird Tales cover artists were on a similar wavelength.

George Mally (some of his covers apparently assisted by his wife):

https://www.pulpartists.com/Mally.html

Boris Dolgov:

https://darkworldsquarterly.gwthomas.org/boris-dolgov-weird-tales-artist/

Weird Tales v38n04 1947-05.American News (CAN) cover Boris Dolgov (Darwin Edit)

and Paul just posted a few from Matt Fox today.

Edited by Darwination

Cross post on the subject of digests.  Not an acquisition but a subject of interest.  From the Baker thread (why I let those jackals in on a mag I don't have yet I do no know).  Much of interest to crime and digest fans in this one, though:

New Baker sighting this week in the pulp scans group.  The scanner was just after one story, but I was able to confirm that likely the entire issue is Matt Baker illustrated (which I knew was likely the case)  Not my scans here, Terror Detective Magazine, February 1956, a crime digest from Everett Arnold.  I hesitate to even show this thing in such sharky waters (and absolutely do keep some Baker secrets to myself :ph34r:).  What a fantastic cover this is (artist unknown):

TerrorDetectiveStoryMagazine03(1957-02.Arnold)BloodintheSandsonlyPage0001.thumb.jpg.284645454f3307ad9481c96b86e4f284.jpg

Harlan Ellison, Day Keene, Edward Hoch are among the authors in the issue, totally killer, I'd love to get my hands on it.

TerrorDetectiveStoryMagazine03(1957-02.Arnold)BloodintheSandsonlyPage0002MattBakerIllo.thumb.jpg.3087537a87c4e3be804705b5d2c9c81e.jpg

and I found the auction where it came from and another illo, very likely all the splashes are Baker

TerrorDetectiveStoryMagazine03(1957-02.Arnold)splashGangGirlMattBaker.jpg.478b4759bbb214c2e923f883061bc2e1.jpg

Edited by Darwination

On 4/12/2024 at 11:18 PM, Darwination said:

Screenshot(204).thumb.png.909007ab40c44242cce0d84af468411e.png

hm

That issue is from the run when analog was magazine sized in the 60's.  It actually changed format during the middle of the serial.

I'm roughly 100% certain there is no such thing as a non-newsstand variant of the issue for that matter...

Edited by OtherEric