• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think Small, Show us your Digests!
8 8

285 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2023 at 10:01 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Not sure... Archer Books are about half way between a paperback and a digest  🤔

FB_IMG_1696474712454.thumb.jpg.e6590c4db442b4c631331219789372cd.jpg

If it's Heade, I won't complain where you put it :)

And, yeah, the line between a saddle stiched digest or magazine style paperbacks and actual paperbacks seems kind of slim.

Edited by Darwination

On 10/5/2023 at 10:54 AM, Robot Man said:

Queen of the digests?

IMG_7501.jpeg

Is there any background on this photo, perchance, anybody?  Like the model or whatnot?  Between the Avon comic and this pub here, it's so notorious.  "Scarlet Secrets"

On 10/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, Darwination said:

Is there any background on this photo, perchance, anybody?  Like the model or whatnot?  Between the Avon comic and this pub here, it's so notorious.  "Scarlet Secrets"

Marty Collins, 17 year old Canadian figure skating champion. Her father sued Avon to have 4 pages of letters removed from the digest that insinuated an incestuous relationship between the father and daughter of one of the books characters. Any copies are rare, but copies like Robot Man's (and mine :) ) that have the letters pages intact are exceedingly rare.  Marty died tragically in an airplane crash in 1960, 29 years old :(  Her husband, Morris Chalfen and her brother, Tom Collins were the organizers of Champions on Ice, the big touring Ice Skating show with former World and Olympic champions starring in the 1980's.

I recently sold the second issue.  It was in decent shape but the front cover was super dark. 

It looks like I can make out Warren King's signature on that third one, too?

How about the Navy Romances, show em if you got em :D

My favorite King book I've gotten to play with (from the JVJ collection):

Adventures 01 - In Romance (1949.St. John) cover Warren King (Darwin Edit)

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=11512

Edited by Darwination