• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked cases passing QC?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I am having a serious problem with CGC cracking the case during encapsulation and then passing it through Quality Control. The Last 3 orders I have placed (13 comics) have been returned to me cracked. I resubmitted for re-holder and they all came back cracked again. I am flabbergasted that this could happen once, but twice with the same order????? What is happening over there? Is anyone else having this issue? This is terrible. 

Edited by Comichuntersd

Probably just your bad luck. And probably not cracked when leaving CGC, but happening during shipping.  Probably.  Get a PO Box and have books shipped to it. That will force Registered Mail (same price) instead of FedEx. USPS Registered mail is going to a far more gentle ride.  It will also probably take a lot longer to arrive. 

Edited by Tony S

Definitely not happening during shipping. That’s the first thing I thought, but flaws are in the interior of the case at the seams in the exact same spot on every case. There is not exterior damage to the case such as surface cracks from dropping, crushing, etc. These flaws are happening during encapsulation and CGC has not denied that. Actually they (CGC) said it happens, and also admitted that small flaws are allowed within their tolerance. They’ve offered a mechanical error replacement for free, but again this is the second time this same order has been damaged (every book) and made it past QC. Thanks for the advice on the shipping. 

Edited by Comichuntersd

On 9/27/2023 at 12:34 AM, Comichuntersd said:

Definitely not happening during shipping. That’s the first thing I thought, but flaws are in the interior of the case at the seams in the exact same spot on every case. There is not exterior damage to the case such as surface cracks from dropping, crushing, etc. These flaws are happening during encapsulation and CGC has not denied that. Actually they (CGC) said it happens, and also admitted that small flaws are allowed within their tolerance. They’ve offered a mechanical error replacement for free, but again this is the second time this same order has been damaged (every book) and made it past QC. Thanks for the advice on the shipping. 

Pictures would help.  

Thanks for the photos. What I can tell you is that sometimes the cases will sustain damage even before they get to the encapsulation team. And if QC also gives them a pass, they're most likely going out the door that way. 

I hope the third time is the charm...  :foryou:

On 9/27/2023 at 4:12 PM, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the photos. What I can tell you is that sometimes the cases will sustain damage even before they get to the encapsulation team. And if QC also gives them a pass, they're most likely going out the door that way. 

I hope the third time is the charm...  :foryou:

Thank you for the insight and the good word. CGC actually mentioned that they have been receiving cases from the 3rd party manufacturer with flaws such as scratches. They didn’t mention cracks, but it’s possible. Disappointing if that is the case, and then they are passing QC.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:31 PM, Comichuntersd said:

Thank you for the insight and the good word. CGC actually mentioned that they have been receiving cases from the 3rd party manufacturer with flaws such as scratches. They didn’t mention cracks, but it’s possible. Disappointing if that is the case, and then they are passing QC.

It's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes in the corporate world...  

On 9/28/2023 at 1:32 AM, Catwomancomics said:

I’ve seen this so many times on my orders. It’s crazy that this continues to still be an issue over a year later.

Sorry to hear that. I also feel that this has been occurring much more in the last year. Have CGC helped with your issue? It’s so frustrating. 

Edited by Comichuntersd

On 9/28/2023 at 10:02 AM, Comichuntersd said:

Sorry to hear that. I also feel that this has been occurring much more in the last year. Have CGC helped with your issue? It’s so frustrating. 

Yes, CGC has replaced all my cases for free.  When I got my books back, some were cracked again and I had to send them back.  CGC’s policy for Mechanical Errors is 14 days. After that time frame, they will not cover it for free. It’s very frustrating that this keeps occurring. I’ve stopped sending in books for blue universal labels. I still have had this happen with signature series books too recently.  I have 3 books on their way back for cracked cases M.E.  Hopefully they will be fixed.