• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hitler's hitlist
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2023 at 8:13 AM, AJD said:

I'm surprised that Charlie Chaplin didn't make Hitler's list. Maybe he missed 'The Great Dictator'?

image.jpeg.39532d93f373d283d49ac20d5431b94a.jpeg

Both born in same year (Charlie was four days older than Adolf) and had toothbrush mustaches before Nazi gained power in 1933.  Hitler admired many American celebrities included Clark Gable.  Clark Gable joined USAAF and Hitler offered $5000 to capture and bring Gable to him unharmed.

That movie was released on October 15, 1940 (Chaplin removed his toothbrush mustache after this movie).  Germany was winning.  US stayed neutral with German until December 11, 1941. I have no idea if he saw the movie.

Either Chaplin or Gable weren't on the list.

Edited by JollyComics

On 10/1/2023 at 8:13 AM, AJD said:

I'm surprised that Charlie Chaplin didn't make Hitler's list. Maybe he missed 'The Great Dictator'?

image.jpeg.39532d93f373d283d49ac20d5431b94a.jpeg

Chaplin was too popular internationally, ...and he managed to avoid portraying Hitler as a total slapstick buffoon, but rather as a deluded malevolent force.  Most of Chaplain's humor was turned toward himself, as the little tailor mistaken for the dictator. At least that's how I interpreted the role.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Oktoberfest beer added for taste.

On 9/30/2023 at 8:24 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

No doubt Hitler's supporters and devoted followers didn't take too kindly to Cap #2 either.

Not content with Jack Kirby landing one punch Joe Simon made sure Der Fuehrer got seconds... 

ea103ddb-b788-42dc-8e14-e06c83d187e1_zpso8ofz4pe.jpeg.685284c892a6aa896124254aae521636.jpeg

Bund rallies are a sad part of our history. At one point Hitler had a sizable minority of misguided Americans brainwashed.

Fortunately, we've matured well beyond that. :shiftyeyes:

:cheers:

Hitler rose to power in Germany with less than 40% of voter support.  The sad truth is that at any given point in history in any given country there was/is/will be about a third of the population that would like to do away with democracy and live in an autocracy wherein they believe they would be in a favored group.

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES