• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading inconsistencies by tier?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

For those of you who submit a lot of pre-1975 books have you noticed more consistent and lenient grades using the High Value Tier vs The Vintage Tier? Asking specifically because I am wondering if it is more beneficial to submit borderline books to high value and pay the extra fee for more accurate grading. I would assume they have more veteran graders reviewing and handling the high value books instead of the rookie expecting a 60 year old book to have the same shine as something from the last 5 years.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, acannon222 said:

For those of you who submit a lot of pre-1975 books have you noticed more consistent and lenient grades using the High Value Tier vs The Vintage Tier? Asking specifically because I am wondering if it is more beneficial to submit borderline books to high value and pay the extra fee for more accurate grading. I would assume they have more veteran graders reviewing and handling the high value books instead of the rookie expecting a 60 year old book to have the same shine as something from the last 5 years.

There shouldn't be any grading differences between the two tiers. And as far as I know, the vintage finalizers have all been the same folks for quite a while now...  

I doubt any rookie is grading vintage, the structure of a book from 1944 and 1974 is significant and they can be side by side on the same order.  The most difficult grade to consistently pin down is mid grade 5.0-7.0 as high grades have such few problems and low grades have obvious overwhelming problems.  Mid grades are in the middle of the teeter totter and can move easily with multiple submissions.