• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color Touch but does not change look or effect grade question
2 2

21 posts in this topic

I have a WWBN 32 that I found (2) small dots on the spine likely done with a marker. The book is lower grade (4.0-5.0) with various types of wear and the CT does nothing to improve eye appeal or hide anything, additionally there are probably another 15 spine ticks that could have been touched but werent. My question is does this still warrant a purple label as the book is already low grade, this doesnt improve or detract from eye appeal? I can post pics if it makes a difference.

On 10/6/2023 at 2:18 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

the CT does nothing to improve eye appeal or hide anything

True, but you're focusing on outcome rather than intent.  The intent was clearly to hide two color-breaking spine tics (hence, restoration -- most likely graded C-1).  The  result was a massive fail.  :tonofbricks:

x.jpg.ec08cbd276fa1436a8bfee8e61c9ad90.jpg

On 10/6/2023 at 4:43 PM, zzutak said:

True, but you're focusing on outcome rather than intent.  The intent was clearly to hide two color-breaking spine tics (hence, restoration -- most likely graded C-1).  The  result was a massive fail.  :tonofbricks:

x.jpg.ec08cbd276fa1436a8bfee8e61c9ad90.jpg

whoever did it, did those two spots and realized their mistake and stopped. Had they done a "better" job the entire spine would have been touched and other areas of the book.

On 10/6/2023 at 5:18 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

I have a WWBN 32 that I found (2) small dots on the spine likely done with a marker. The book is lower grade (4.0-5.0) with various types of wear and the CT does nothing to improve eye appeal or hide anything, additionally there are probably another 15 spine ticks that could have been touched but werent. My question is does this still warrant a purple label as the book is already low grade, this doesnt improve or detract from eye appeal? I can post pics if it makes a difference.

Even though I hate to say it, this book appears to be a decent candidate for restoration removal...  hm 

On 10/6/2023 at 6:17 PM, The Lions Den said:

Even though I hate to say it, this book appears to be a decent candidate for restoration removal...  hm 

Good point. One could scrape or whatever with probably little to no grade change. :idea:

On 10/6/2023 at 7:17 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'm not so sure about that. If the color touch was just on the exterior cover, I would agree. However, since the color touch has bled through to the inside cover, I don't think restoration could be done with damaging the book.

Doesn’t look like much of an effort to accomplish anything. Shot in the dark here — any of that same color on the edges anywhere? It IS a classic overspray color that does not at all match the color of the book. I wonder if it sat funny in a pile of newsstand returns and got barely sprayed, in the wrong spot? It’s such a lousy match that that almost seems more likely to me. Not that I’d want to take the risk of paying up for it then paying to sub it, but it’s the first thing that crossed my mind because the color is familiar and it’s such a mismatch. 

On 10/6/2023 at 10:04 PM, Math Teacher said:

I'm not so sure about that. If the color touch was just on the exterior cover, I would agree. However, since the color touch has bled through to the inside cover, I don't think restoration could be done with damaging the book.

You are correct...and that's what I hate about it. 

On 10/6/2023 at 7:17 PM, The Lions Den said:

There's no way that the ink is only on the first wrap. So you would have two holes on the front cover, and be able to see that ink on the pages where the cover used to be.

You would know better than me. Would CGC then care about the ink on the pages? I cracked a 9.2 FF Universal book once, and somebody had randomly spilled ink on various interior pages

The comic book is what it is at this point.

Books with these big chunks removed from the cover and given "grades" are just wretched.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:11 PM, Readcomix said:

Doesn’t look like much of an effort to accomplish anything. Shot in the dark here — any of that same color on the edges anywhere? It IS a classic overspray color that does not at all match the color of the book. I wonder if it sat funny in a pile of newsstand returns and got barely sprayed, in the wrong spot? It’s such a lousy match that that almost seems more likely to me. Not that I’d want to take the risk of paying up for it then paying to sub it, but it’s the first thing that crossed my mind because the color is familiar and it’s such a mismatch. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, but to me it looks like someone was experimenting with a marker and when they realized it went through the cover, they decided to give it up...thankfully. (thumbsu

On 10/7/2023 at 1:10 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but to me it looks like someone was experimenting with a marker and when they realized it went through the cover, they decided to give it up...thankfully. (thumbsu

You would certainly would know better than me; but that color is such an overspray color that the possibility struck me, however remote.