• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics from NYCC 2023 - Anyone take any?
1 1

61 posts in this topic

Fun yet exhausting show. Many of the same pieces from months prior with a smattering of new ones here and there. Nothing noteworthy.

Artist alley had lots of new talent, many from overseas. Anyone who now has a rep, Expect a big jump in prices. But some good art at reasonable prices if you look carefully.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:01 PM, cloud cloddie said:

I’m always surprised when high ticket items ‘sell’ at auction and are back up so quick. Sold last year at HA for 144K. Wonder what the price is now?

When they sell much cheaper then like items that’s what happens! 

half kidding above.. but I was talking to one of the bigger dealers who basically said to get inventory in this environment they all basically have to buy from auction as there just isn’t enough in the wild . 

On 10/13/2023 at 8:51 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

When they sell much cheaper then like items that’s what happens! 

half kidding above.. but I was talking to one of the bigger dealers who basically said to get inventory in this environment they all basically have to buy from auction as there just isn’t enough in the wild . 

Which is why I avoid most dealers. Lol

On 10/12/2023 at 11:50 PM, AnkurJ said:

Artist alley had lots of new talent, many from overseas. Anyone who now has a rep, Expect a big jump in prices. But some good art at reasonable prices if you look carefully.

We stopped by a new artist Thursday morning, flipped through his book, asked about a few pieces he'd sold and the prices. He was pausing all sales because his art rep was coming by. 

By 2pm, post art rep, all the prices were 2x. On the one hand, good for him! On the other.... 

On 10/14/2023 at 9:25 AM, SuperBird said:

We stopped by a new artist Thursday morning, flipped through his book, asked about a few pieces he'd sold and the prices. He was pausing all sales because his art rep was coming by. 

By 2pm, post art rep, all the prices were 2x. On the one hand, good for him! On the other.... 

This is the way.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:31 PM, AlexG_art said:

So, the Liefeld Captain America pinup is going to be a high-ticket item?    

as much as its flawed, its also infamous at this point.   It will get great money for what it is.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:44 PM, AnkurJ said:
On 10/14/2023 at 9:25 PM, SuperBird said:

This is the way.

If a piece doesn't go for a strong price at an auction, then it was most likely won by a dealer and will be repriced much higher.  The chances these days of an even remotely desirable piece slipping through the cracks between both  collectors and dealers are slim. 

So the moral of the story is if that if a collector really wants a piece, then bid above what you think a dealer will bid, otherwise when it appears again it will be with a dealer and will have an even higher price tag stuck on it.

On 10/15/2023 at 4:53 AM, tth2 said:

If a piece doesn't go for a strong price at an auction, then it was most likely won by a dealer and will be repriced much higher.  The chances these days of an even remotely desirable piece slipping through the cracks between both  collectors and dealers are slim. 

So the moral of the story is if that if a collector really wants a piece, then bid above what you think a dealer will bid, otherwise when it appears again it will be with a dealer and will have an even higher price tag stuck on it.

The OCA Cabal is real!  Like any Syndicate some members hold greater power than others.

On 10/15/2023 at 4:53 AM, tth2 said:

To be candid, that is the way I have always set my bids. But, the other side is also true. There has to be some “meat on the bone” left for a dealer to buy, so unless it is a piece where the marketing is developing, and a dealer would know more than a collector abut prospective growth, you should always do better if everyone else who is bidding is a dealer. 

On 10/15/2023 at 11:53 PM, Rick2you2 said:

There has to be some “meat on the bone” left for a dealer to buy, so unless it is a piece where the marketing is developing, and a dealer would know more than a collector abut prospective growth, you should always do better if everyone else who is bidding is a dealer.

Following that logic, dealers would win almost nothing.

Not everyone has the wide-ringing knowledge of a dealer, or particularly wants everything even if a virtual bargain, or is willing to invest for the long term. And, not everyone is involved in all potential auctions.I have passed on things which don’t match my collecting goals, like the adult gag cartoons that Anthony’s sells, but someone must be. I would also not buy a Byrne X-men page even while acknowledging its excellence. But you put up a Phantom Stranger page, and I will give it a lot of scrutiny.