• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Humidity (?) getting to slabbed books
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I'm leaning more and more towards it not being related to the humidity inside my home. I looked at books I have displayed upstairs in my home where the RH is much higher around 60% and all of those books look fine. I did check the smart thermostat and it is displaying RH on the first floor as around 46%. I'm running at dehumidifier in the room with the books set at 45%. It seems to go down to 45 and then kick in again when it reaches 50%. I'm running a little experiment. I have one short box with Eva Dry Mini Dehumidifier (See Here) in the box and the another without. Both boxes have a Govee Hygrometer inside them and I'm checking the RH to see how it affects each box. I want to make sure I'm keeping the books at a consistent RH as well as not drying them out. What do you guys think? I've been storing them inside in the A/C without any humidity control for over a year and haven't had any issues (if the pics above were caused by humidity). Do you think I should continue to store them at the natural RH inside my house 45-50%? Or should I try continue to add the dehumidifier and mini dehumidifiers? 

The Govee is accurate to within +/- 3% RH, and the readings seem to swing up and down around 2% every hour. I think this is just accuracy of the readings and not and actual fluctuation. "Short Box 1" has the mini dehumidifier inside, and seems to be 1 to 2% lower than the box without. 

IMG_2816.PNG

IMG_2818.PNG

IMG_2819.PNG

Edited by SpceWrnglr

On 10/11/2023 at 2:35 AM, Gaard said:

Wasn't one of the previous slab designs known for this? Maybe check when those books were graded.

They were all graded between April and October of 2022. And I purchased each of them from different sources very shortly after they were slabbed. So it’s starting to look like pressings that have reverted to me. 

On 10/11/2023 at 7:12 AM, SpceWrnglr said:

They were all graded between April and October of 2022. And I purchased each of them from different sources very shortly after they were slabbed. So it’s starting to look like pressings that have reverted to me. 

Technically, what you see is not a reversion. 

On 10/9/2023 at 10:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

1950s comics from the Phillippines

Do you have any?  :baiting:  Those Redondo Komix are amazing.  Very fragile...

IMG_20230712_180216145.jpg

On 10/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, Yorick said:

Do you have any?  :baiting:  Those Redondo Komix are amazing.  Very fragile...

IMG_20230712_180216145.jpg

I don't own any. The only ones I ever see are in very poor condition. If I ever saw any nice ones from the 50s, I'd buy them, but them may not even exist in mid grade let alone high grade. Some may not exist at all.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:07 AM, joeypost said:

Technically, what you see is not a reversion. 

I agree. It is the book moving a little inside the inner well and the plastic of the inner well grabs the book and it causes the rippling. Also happens if the choice of inner well encapsulation is too small for the book.

On 10/11/2023 at 10:06 PM, Artboy99 said:

I agree. It is the book moving a little inside the inner well and the plastic of the inner well grabs the book and it causes the rippling. Also happens if the choice of inner well encapsulation is too small for the book.

When you say “moving” do you mean like Shaken Comic Syndrome? Or do you mean moving like “breathing” or settling? Like I said earlier I know that if not given room to expand and contract with temp and humidity changes framed prints will ripple in the same way as the fibers in the paper get stretched.

On 10/12/2023 at 7:07 PM, SpceWrnglr said:

When you say “moving” do you mean like Shaken Comic Syndrome? Or do you mean moving like “breathing” or settling? Like I said earlier I know that if not given room to expand and contract with temp and humidity changes framed prints will ripple in the same way as the fibers in the paper get stretched.

The book can move inside the inner well and at the same time the plastic can grab the book.

More likely the encapsulation is too tight