• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Hood Canadian Golden Age
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Based on the overall extensive wear and piece out the top left of the front cover and a piece out of the back cover, and what looks like, possibly detached at the top, staple this book would garner between a 2.0 and 2.5 grade, in my humble opinion, and based on 40 years of collecting :wink:

Edited by eccomic

Cool book.  Probably 1944.  A one shot which reprints parts of Pep Comics 49, 48 and 46 according to GCD.

Since you have it in England and given what the verbiage at the bottom of the inside cover says, it's reasonable to assume that this book was printed in Canada and immediately shipped to Miller in London.

Out of curiosity, is there anything printed on the inside back cover?

On 10/10/2023 at 2:45 PM, pemart1966 said:

Cool book.  Probably 1944.  A one shot which reprints parts of Pep Comics 49, 48 and 46 according to GCD.

Since you have it in England and given what the verbiage at the bottom of the inside cover says, it's reasonable to assume that this book was printed in Canada and immediately shipped to Miller in London.

Out of curiosity, is there anything printed on the inside back cover?

And yet it does not have a British printed price, only a 10c one.
Believe it or not this has already sold and shipped so I don't know what is on the inside back cover, other than what's on the photos.

Edited by Redshade

On 10/10/2023 at 11:38 AM, Redshade said:

Believe it or not this has already sold and shipped so I don't know what is on the inside back cover.

No British printed price doesn't surprise me - too expensive.  Even a stamped British price doesn't surprise me given the point in history.  

I am surprised by the fact that it was distributed to the UK.  I would have thought that comic books would have been on the list of unnecessary imports.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:38 AM, Redshade said:

Believe it or not this has already sold and shipped so I don't know what is on the inside back cover, other than what's on the photos.

If it has already been sold & shipped why did you want to know if it should be submitted to CGC?  (shrug)

On 10/10/2023 at 3:41 PM, pemart1966 said:

I'm missing something here.

Setting aside the bizarre look of the ad in the first place, I'm guessing it started life as a house ad that said "MLJ All The Way / An MLJ Publication", but the UK publisher changed it to this different cryptic acronym.

On 10/11/2023 at 6:59 AM, Point Five said:

Setting aside the bizarre look of the ad in the first place, I'm guessing it started life as a house ad that said "MLJ All The Way / An MLJ Publication", but the UK publisher changed it to this different cryptic acronym.

Ah, that tallies, because "an FEH" is incorrect, while "an MLJ" is correct because of the vowel sound at the start of "em".

On 10/11/2023 at 1:51 AM, AJD said:
On 10/10/2023 at 3:59 PM, Point Five said:

Ah, that tallies, because "an FEH" is incorrect, while "an MLJ" is correct because of the vowel sound at the start of "em".

Doesn't FEH has a vowel sound at the start as well, "ef"?

And not directed to you, but shouldn't the thread title be Black Hood?

On 10/11/2023 at 11:18 AM, Superman2006 said:

Yep, that's true. 

Be that as it may, IMO there's something inherently funny about a company named FEH. Sounds like one of those poor man's Mad knockoff titles from the mid-'50s.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:44 AM, Point Five said:

Yep, that's true. 

Be that as it may, IMO there's something inherently funny about a company named FEH. Sounds like one of those poor man's Mad knockoff titles from the mid-'50s.

FEH is Canadian.   F. E. Howard.    A few FEH books were sold into the US (below) or UK. 

26076277%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

On 10/10/2023 at 11:42 AM, pemart1966 said:

No British printed price doesn't surprise me - too expensive.  Even a stamped British price doesn't surprise me given the point in history.  

I am surprised by the fact that it was distributed to the UK.  I would have thought that comic books would have been on the list of unnecessary imports.

Stephen Lipson could speak to it better than I but I can tell you that towards the end of the 'Canadian whites' era (when import restrictions were about to be relaxed in Canada and were perhaps relaxed in the UK) some Cdn books were sold into the UK - that's fairly well documented.    My favorite of these is the Speed Savage one-shot that had one cover for Canada and another for the UK.   UK cover below.   Note that even though this is understood to be the UK variant, the cover still does not have a pence price.   Not sure why; maybe Stephen can chime in.

SpeedSavage0146-can-1-480x669.jpg

On 10/11/2023 at 11:18 AM, Superman2006 said:

And not directed to you, but shouldn't the thread title be Black Hood?

Or in this case "Black and White Hood"?

Red Hood = Batman

Black Hood = MLJ

On 10/11/2023 at 12:03 PM, Bronty said:

FEH is Canadian.   F. E. Howard.    A few FEH books were sold into the US (below) or UK. 

26076277%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

This is a Canadian produced comic -

1.  Are all of the characters in it "Canadian"?

2.  Very curious that a Canadian comic would have the banner "America's Newest Sensation"

3.  If the comic was produced in B & W why would any kid in the US buy it?

On 10/11/2023 at 12:24 PM, pemart1966 said:

Or in this case "Black and White Hood"?

Red Hood = Batman

Black Hood = MLJ

Yup I noticed it too, just a typo I guess.

FEH did print MLJ stories in Canada, to your point.   

17143277%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

On 10/11/2023 at 12:29 PM, pemart1966 said:

2.  Very curious that a Canadian comic would have the banner "America's Newest Sensation"

1.  Yes - they all first appeared in Canadian whites published by Bell Features.

2.  Super Duper 3 was sold into the States and targeted to Americans, hence the tag line 'America's newest sensation'.    Note the date of the book as 1947.   The war is over, US books are coming back into Canada.    Bell Features didn't have much competition in Canada during the war due to import restrictions, but the competition has come back now in 1947.    So from a business POV Bell has a problem and needs to figure out how he's going to operate in the new landscape.    This book and a few others are a trial sale into the US (distributed by Howard on his behalf I guess) to see what the American response to the Canadian books would be.    The stories are leftover inventory from Canadian whites stories.    Despite the quality of the stories, it didn't work out.    Bell ends up printing Canadian editions of US books in the post war landscape rather than trying to sell original material (see Marvel Tales published by Bell in 1950 below - many many other examples).

3.  It was in color for that reason.   Besides, the black and white books stop around 1946 just after the end of the war; this is 1947. 

28921099%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Edited by Bronty

On 10/11/2023 at 12:29 PM, pemart1966 said:

Thought you might enjoy the Mr Monster  splash from inside the book.

1635245-super_duper_comics_03___03.jpg