• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand books from 1986 with extra staples on the inside of the books
3 3

15 posts in this topic

I was an huge collector back in the late 70s early 80s.. I was guilty of buying multiple copies of new books I enjoyed that came out with the philosophy of read one and store the others in bags and boards..

Just recently I was pulling out a bunch of books from my PC and found 3 copies of DareDevil #227 Newsstand edition from 1986... but as I was going thru the books to send to CGC, I noticed that all 3 of these books have an additional staple in them but not attached to the cover... only on the inside... on top of the 2 that are used to attach the cover.. I have never seen that and I can tell you these books still had the static to them (pages stuck together) and the new book smell as never read...

I had a couple of other NewsStand additions of DareDevil but none of those have that issue of additional staples.  Will CGC will ding these as part of the grading process? The books are flawless even though it's a manufacture issue(?)

Thoughts??

On 10/11/2023 at 7:46 PM, Door County Greek said:
I was an huge collector back in the late 70s early 80s.. I was guilty of buying multiple copies of new books I enjoyed that came out with the philosophy of read one and store the others in bags and boards..

Just recently I was pulling out a bunch of books from my PC and found 3 copies of DareDevil #227 Newsstand edition from 1986... but as I was going thru the books to send to CGC, I noticed that all 3 of these books have an additional staple in them but not attached to the cover... only on the inside... on top of the 2 that are used to attach the cover.. I have never seen that and I can tell you these books still had the static to them (pages stuck together) and the new book smell as never read...

I had a couple of other NewsStand additions of DareDevil but none of those have that issue of additional staples.  Will CGC will ding these as part of the grading process? The books are flawless even though it's a manufacture issue(?)

Thoughts??

Best removing all extra staples prior to submitting to CGC

Edited by MAR1979

This is a pic of the outside cover as you can see the normal two staples

image.thumb.jpeg.af82bd210360befb76edf9f0429f3b35.jpeg

This photo is of the book from the inside back cover.. you can see the 2 staples holding the cover plus 2 additional that are stabled to the book but not the cover...

IMG_0540.thumb.jpg.43e6fe1dd5c01a44c461d139a931550a.jpg

And finally the the center showing all 4 staples...

May have CGC announce a buy 2 staples get 2 free grade!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.7e63d1ab7b667880adc12691c2e551fd.jpeg

After further review 2 out of the 3 books are flawless (minus the extra staples). The 3rd book has small tears around one of the staples on the cover. There are no CGC graded books over a 9.4 for this newsstand edition.. I hate to think these 2 books get slammed for the extra staples as they are at least a 9.6 candidate... and I approach the grading for myself as ultra conservative..

It would be a manufacture defect and I may bit the bullet and get them graded.. I can touch base with you all once I get them back which may be a few months...

Appreciate the feedback!!

image.jpeg

On 10/13/2023 at 8:16 AM, The Lions Den said:

Same thing I was thinking...  hm

Sorry but this is all super vague and still not very convincing. Not saying none of what you say is true, but you aren't exactly providing any factual evidence to back it up, either.

:baiting:

Actually, I was thinking great minds think alike.

As Shad pointed out, they also look like different staples but I can't imagine why someone would attempt to doctor this book unless they were practicing. I'd also postulate that if it happened during manufacturing it may have been stapled on a different machine than the one used for the press run.

On 10/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, Pontoon said:

Sorry but this is all super vague and still not very convincing. Not saying none of what you say is true, but you aren't exactly providing any factual evidence to back it up, either.

I see what you did there...  lol 

Edited by The Lions Den

I was in the process of determining to slab books in my PC what I think would be 9.8 candidates to sell... I just started going thru my PC that's been in storage for over 30 years... As far as the staples go you are correct as they are smaller on the inner side and you are also correct there is no way to prove what happened because I have no idea. This was way back in 1981 so I don't recall where I got these from.

Those were the days of me and my buddy buying books wholesale and selling at the small Cons in Chicago (they used to be monthly at the downtown Pick-Congress Hotel on Michigan Ave, if your from Chicago...). They are too good of condition to be manhandled in any way. Plus why even bother on a DD #227 newsstand? Not exactly a high price issue... I guess the only option is to send to CGC and get their professional opinion on this. Worse case if they don't grade at least a 9.6, I wont bother slabbing them and eat the $9 charge... Best case is I have books with a hopefully not a Restored label with bonus staples at no extra cost!