• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy a Conserved Golden age Comic book.? Looking for opinions
4 4

78 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2023 at 2:28 PM, Dr. Balls said:

When it comes to GA, I'll buy Conserved, Color Touch, Married and I am currently weighing Trimmed - if it's not too severe. If there's only a few hundred of these books still in existence, I'm learning not to be too picky. I started leaning towards this attitude after reading 'Do Not Sell At Any Price' which is about the world's rarest records, and how some music only exists on lone records in people's collections.

That was a great read!

On 10/16/2023 at 2:28 PM, Dr. Balls said:

When it comes to GA, I'll buy Conserved, Color Touch, Married and I am currently weighing Trimmed - if it's not too severe. If there's only a few hundred of these books still in existence, I'm learning not to be too picky. I started leaning towards this attitude after reading 'Do Not Sell At Any Price' which is about the world's rarest records, and how some music only exists on lone records in people's collections.

Jason, did you recommend this book before? Someone here did last year, and it's been on my list since then. Looks perfect for me, as I'm a music obsessive just as much as I'm a comics one. I've (finally) just ordered a copy.  (thumbsu

On 10/16/2023 at 8:34 PM, Point Five said:

Jason, did you recommend this book before? Someone here did last year, and it's been on my list since then. Looks perfect for me, as I'm a music obsessive just as much as I'm a comics one. I've (finally) just ordered a copy.  (thumbsu

The first recommendation I saw here came from @Robot Man He said something to the effect of how those rare records guys are way more over the top obsessive/secretive than us Golden Age comics collectors, and I thought coming from him, to this audience on here, that’s saying something. (Feel free to correct my paraphrase of course, Bob, but that’s the gist of how I remember it, and it’s certainly the impression your recommendation left on me.)

All that said, it is an enjoyable read! 

On 10/16/2023 at 8:38 PM, Readcomix said:

The first recommendation I saw here came from @Robot Man He said something to the effect of how those rare records guys are way more over the top obsessive/secretive than us Golden Age comics collectors, and I thought coming from him, to this audience on here, that’s saying something. (Feel free to correct my paraphrase of course, Bob, but that’s the gist of how I remember it, and it’s certainly the impression your recommendation left on me.)

All that said, it is an enjoyable read! 

Excellent. Looking forward to it!

I remember some fascinating scenes about 78 rpm record collecting from the Robert Crumb documentary as well. I think that's when it first piqued my interest.

On 10/16/2023 at 8:44 PM, Point Five said:

I remember some fascinating scenes about 78 rpm record collecting from the Robert Crumb documentary as well. I think that's when it first piqued my interest.

I haven’t watched that since it came out in the theater! I really need to see it again. I remember enjoying it.

On 10/16/2023 at 8:44 PM, Point Five said:

What was this thread about before we showed up???

Oh yeah - yes, I would buy a conserved a GA if it’s a tough book that rarely gets out of Black Hole collections. In fact, I have (National #18).

Glad some of you took my advice and ordered the book. Was one I couldn’t put down and have actually read it twice. I used to but no longer collect records. It was the obsecessive culture of loner collectors of these incredibly rare items that fascinated me.

I love the hunt and always have. Sunken treasure, Egyptology, and especially old comics. NEVER to the extent of these folks though.

And, the sponge I am, have learned enough about 78’s to run into a few real nice ones in my travels. Always good to learn and keep an open mind…

On 10/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, Point Five said:

Hey, this is the internet, you aren't allowed to spell 'piqued' correctly! 'peaked' is the preferred form, but we'll also accept 'peeked' or, at a pinch, 'picked'.

And, yes, I absolutely would buy a conserved book. This cracked out 8.0 has a 'cover and centerfold reinforced at single staple' notation, and it cost me 30% of the blue label price. I'll take that any day.

large.FC_0147.jpg.a3d4a65cac6fa4a0c2c019dcf09034b1.jpg

On 10/17/2023 at 1:16 AM, AJD said:

And, yes, I absolutely would buy a conserved book. This cracked out 8.0 has a 'cover and centerfold reinforced at single staple' notation, and it cost me 30% of the blue label price. I'll take that any day.

Great example. The book is gorgeous -- just try not to pique at the label.  :banana:

I don’t believe I have ever bought a Conserved book. For the right book at the right price and the right time, I might buy one. Heck, I probably have at least one kind of every defect in my collection…:roflmao:

The only acception I would make is if it were a Pedigree book. It simply turns my stomach to know someone would do anything to one. I just wouldn’t enjoy owning it. 

I always loved Restored /conserved books. I stay away from Brittle. I always bought low grade books and had them Restored in the late 70s early 80s just so I had a nice-looking book. I bought this in this condition because I always wanted a copy back. I can't stand the condition and would love to have it Restored but the last 20 years I learned unrestored is Rare, so I keep it ugly like this.:preach:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 10/17/2023 at 8:05 AM, woowoo said:

I always loved Restored /conserved books. I stay away from Brittle. I always bought low grade books and had them Restored in the late 70s early 80s just so I had a nice-looking book. I bought this in this condition because I always wanted a copy back. I can't stand the condition and would love to have it Restored but the last 20 years I learned unrestored is Rare, so I keep it ugly like this.:preach:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hey, although one that doesn’t do much for me personally, sometimes, having a book in any condition, is better than not having it at all. 

On 10/17/2023 at 8:10 AM, Robot Man said:

Hey, although one that doesn’t do much for me personally, sometimes, having a book in any condition, is better than not having it at all. 

I had a copy of this book when I started collecting Golden age, I started with Action comics 10 and loved the way Superman looked. I got Action 2 and 7 on up Detective 1 2 3 most of them on up. But the Action 2 and 7 was the only 2 books I don't know what happened to. I started to party a lot late 80s and my mom kept my books till I got my life back and gave them back to me and it started me collecting again. The Action 2 and 7 were not there so I learned to replace them would cost 20 times more after 20 years of not collecting. :makepoint: I now only need Action Comics 2 and they don't come up for sale at a deal ever.image.thumb.jpeg.22e745f83aaa3e14eed2ec281da79a83.jpeg

On 10/16/2023 at 11:58 AM, ThothAmon said:

Can’t abide spine splits. Almost as bad as brittle pages. 

Agreed, when I see a book that's brittle or spine splits I figure it's just gonna keep degrading and falling apart.  Worst thing is looking at a book and seeing little its of it in the comic bag, bits that broke off after it was bagged and boarded.

On 10/17/2023 at 7:54 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t believe I have ever bought a Conserved book. For the right book at the right price and the right time, I might buy one. Heck, I probably have at least one kind of every defect in my collection…:roflmao:

The only acception I would make is if it were a Pedigree book. It simply turns my stomach to know someone would do anything to one. I just wouldn’t enjoy owning it. 

Pedigree shmedigree; just an excuse to up the price IMNSHO.  The copies were all "born" equal.  Tagging on a cutesy label is like putting lipstick on a pig.