• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed - i have bought to another place
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I want to say first that is not the first time that its happen to me!

So, im actually looking to buy some 90's Wonder woman books and i found a lot on Ebay, the guy havent gave detail about the grade on the description, so like i usually do even if they are some pics to get an opinion i asked the seller how he's estimate his books... and what answer i receive? 

I understand. This lot would fall between a grade of 3-4 Good - Very Good Some issues may have more wear than others

but overall it is a good set, condition-wise

Thank you for your interest

Wtf? by the picture i thought that the man was going to tell me something around 6,7 you know, i dont see terrible details on these pics, the books look good, more of that its hard to me to trust that some modern books are in a so bad shape. (shrug) 

I have a feeling that the people who do not grade their books have a good reason, he have absolutely no idea of grading. And maybe this low estimation is a consequence of being feared by overgrading and get problem with the customer. 

What do you think?

Edited by BA773

Share the link to the eBay auction and we can take a look and offer some options. But you're right: Sellers aren't always collectors and have almost no idea about grading, although it's usually "I would say this is near mint..." when you can clearly see it's been used to line the cat litter tray....

(I usually try to get my own idea of grade from the photos and only bid accordingly!)

Edited by LowGradeBronze

Grading is subjective. I’ve gotten “good” books on eBay that graded out to 9.5s and I’ve seen people advertise “near mint! Like brand new!” comics that look like garbage. I think you should look at the books and if they look acceptable to you, buy them and don’t depend on a seller who might be totally clueless 

On 10/19/2023 at 3:45 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Share the link to the eBay auction and we can take a look and offer some options. But you're right: Sellers aren't always collectors and have almost no idea about grading, although it's usually "I would say this is near mint..." when you can clearly see it's been used to line the cat litter tray....

(I usually try to get my own idea of grade from the photos and only bid accordingly!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386086518094?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wvKPvExKTAq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ffh0bp_9r56&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Even if they looks better i think im not going to buy these books because the delivery fees are totaly crazy i never seen it before i dont know how he does to make a delivery quote:screwy: 

Edited by BA773

Not sure why you would want that many WW books, but there are some great covers there! I could see a lot of comics with a crease down the spine. Readers crease? One had a lot of spine roll and a lot look as though they should make Fine or Fine Minus. I feel your pain on shipping when you live so far from the US. 

On 10/19/2023 at 5:58 PM, Cman429 said:

$35 to ship 140 comics is dirt cheap LOL There are goofballs on sellers forums and IG that charge $10 for ship just 2-3 measly little comics here in the US. 

:gossip:93 books as stated in the title

On 10/19/2023 at 10:28 PM, shadroch said:

His domestic shipping price is pretty reasonable. Shipping a long box of comics overseas is pricey. 

I am really familiar to buy books from usa and NO i can tell that you that NO this price is not usual

On 10/19/2023 at 10:45 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Not sure why you would want that many WW books, but there are some great covers there! I could see a lot of comics with a crease down the spine. Readers crease? One had a lot of spine roll and a lot look as though they should make Fine or Fine Minus. I feel your pain on shipping when you live so far from the US. 

Maybe because i collect entire run of my favourite charachters from 1987 to 2011. I already have almost completed Batman and Green Lanteen, does a good part on Flash, already got 100 superman issue, and so for sure i cannot overlook on this beautiful...huh... i wanted to  said wonder woman.lol

You probably forget about me but we had a disscusion about it on private, now maybe you remember (shrug)

Edited by BA773

On 10/19/2023 at 6:20 AM, BA773 said:

I want to say first that is not the first time that its happen to me!

So, im actually looking to buy some 90's Wonder woman books and i found a lot on Ebay, the guy havent gave detail about the grade on the description, so like i usually do even if they are some pics to get an opinion i asked the seller how he's estimate his books... and what answer i receive? 

I understand. This lot would fall between a grade of 3-4 Good - Very Good Some issues may have more wear than others

but overall it is a good set, condition-wise

Thank you for your interest

Wtf? by the picture i thought that the man was going to tell me something around 6,7 you know, i dont see terrible details on these pics, the books look good, more of that its hard to me to trust that some modern books are in a so bad shape. (shrug) 

I have a feeling that the people who do not grade their books have a good reason, he have absolutely no idea of grading. And maybe this low estimation is a consequence of being feared by overgrading and get problem with the customer. 

What do you think?

I think this is the first time I've every heard of someone complaining about an eBay grade being under-graded by several grades.  The fact that he is under-grading and may not know how to grade should be a benefit.  I'm not sure why you're complaining about it.  Would you rather buy something that's over-graded?  

On 10/19/2023 at 10:25 PM, BA773 said:

I am really familiar to buy books from usa and NO i can tell that you that NO this price is not usual

As others have stated, the shipping price does not sound unreasonable at all.   $259.99 for a lot of non-key books seem pretty high.  I'd complain about the price of the lot over the cost of shipping.  

On 10/20/2023 at 2:48 PM, Semicentennial said:

I think this is the first time I've every heard of someone complaining about an eBay grade being under-graded by several grades.  The fact that he is under-grading and may not know how to grade should be a benefit.  I'm not sure why you're complaining about it.  Would you rather buy something that's over-graded?  

Im not complaining maybe my poor english create misunderstanding... 

I was praising the seller's behavior because the books look better than he estimated, i cannot see which word i used to show that im upset ???

Edited by BA773

On 10/20/2023 at 6:49 AM, BA773 said:

Im not complaining maybe my poor english create misunderstanding... 

I was praising the seller's behavior because the books look better than he estimated, i cannot see which word i used to show that im upset ???

Got it.  You're praising the seller for under grading their books but over pricing the cost to ship.  🤪

Maybe the exclamation of "wtf"" lead me to think you were complaining.  I can't recall a time when someone used "WTF" as a term for praise.

On 10/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, lostboys said:

$3+ per book is too much IMO for this lot.

If you really want this lot, ask for a better price or walk away.

Yes for sure i dont wanted to pay the full price but now it doesn't matter anymore because i find an other offer who convinced me!

This is kind of an aside to the regular conversation - but I'd recommend weighing your books inside the box when you get them, and then checking the price on Pirate Ship, entering in your shipper's address and your address and comparing the estimate.

This way - for future purchases - you may be able to negotiate a better shipping price. I recently sent a run of Star Wars (incomplete, but still around 90 books) from USA to Australia via UPS for around $100. And that was including the massive packing materials I used to ensure they got there undamaged. Some sellers may not want to bother with it, but if you're wanting to buy lots of books, you might have room to negotiate on shipping.

It's my experience that if you're a buyer who wants to buy 100-150 books at a time, you have some leverage on price because people such as yourself are fewer than the guy who wants to buy 3 or 4 books. Use that leverage to negotiate better pricing!

Edited by Dr. Balls