• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Fall Edition #8 Round 2
11 11

156 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2023 at 2:28 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I was all over the board on Prize Comics #8, and had it at 5.5, but 2 books were off by one and 2 bullseyes on the other two books for 5 points

Same here - 5 points made up of two bulls, two off by one and a 5.5 on the Prize to ruin it. 

I'm at 10 points so far, a one point off average. Not too bad seeing as I have no experience of grading Gold. 

On 10/28/2023 at 3:17 AM, trmoore54 said:

No way that Fantastic Fears is 4.5 book...I toggled 3.5/4.0 and fortunately landed on 4.0...but that is one fugly 4.5 ugh :whatthe: :facepalm: :sumo: :pullhair: (shrug) :insane: :roflmao: (:

I had it way overgraded at 6.0 hmSeems an interesting book ...

On 10/28/2023 at 10:17 AM, AJD said:

I have 11 points from 10 books, and zero bullseyes. This round were all +1, 3 over by an increment and two under by an increment. I hate this game. lol

That's still pretty good going Andy. A one grade off average, taking everything into account, is really good. If you know how to grade, you get very close. From there on in, it's luck and, in the cases where you write an initial two grade range down, a coin toss :wishluck:

Now that was much better.  Two bullseyes on the last two books!  I went 6.0 on the 1st one since I just couldn’t go higher with all that tanning.  One off for the other 2 gave me 4 points.  From 13 to 4 in one round - so there is always hope!

I'm still scratching my head over that Shcoking Mystery coming back at a 5.0. With that much chipping/missing pieces and then the silver fish damage I just can't see it. (shrug) I looked at the book being about a 5.5 before taking away for the silverfish, staining, minor rust migration etc... Did I over compensate for the silverfish? I looked at it like missing pieces. 

On 10/28/2023 at 7:32 PM, universal soldier said:

I'm still scratching my head over that Shcoking Mystery coming back at a 5.0. With that much chipping/missing pieces and then the silver fish damage I just can't see it. (shrug) I looked at the book being about a 5.5 before taking away for the silverfish, staining, minor rust migration etc... Did I over compensate for the silverfish? I looked at it like missing pieces. 

Agreed; I guessed 4.5. All the corners on both covers looked a bit gnawed and there were holes and random bits missing on the back. To be fair, in some spots it was hard to tell if we were looking at missing cover stock or stains... but either way, the back looked pretty rough.