• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for advice with a recent slab purchase
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello. I had a quick question about a recent slab purchase on eBay that I was wondering you guys could give me an opinion on.

I purchased an expensive slab with original art by an artist I love, about $500. When it arrived, I noticed some damage that was not specifically listed about the item itself, such as some minor scuffs and cracks on the slab. Their description mentions there COULD be some minor defects like that “on CGCs part” in their description, but it’s not specific to the item I bought and just one they put under all their listings. I’m pretty bummed with the condition of the slab since neither the picture nor listing mentions specific defects like it. Their picture was just a picture of the front of the slab, not showing any of the damage on the slab itself not was it listed in their description.

Also, the holder is one of the thicker ones they use. Is it normal for the book to shift around in it? I never had one of these thicker ones but something tells me that can’t be right. They said this was normal too but I have my doubts and it seems like they don’t wish to take responsibility for it. I should note that it’s not that I want to return it, but that I may have to get it reholdered with the issues, and was maybe thinking to ask for a partial if it would be appropriate? I’m asking opinions on what the best way to approach this issue with the book and the seller may be.

Here is the video of the shifting to show what I mean. https://imgur.com/a/MgDSB2p

IMG_8594.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8600.jpeg

IMG_8620.jpeg

• Administrator

Hello @SinisterCryptid

Thank you for reaching out to us. Because of the clarity of the material used to construct the holders, minor scuffs and small stress fractures at the seams of a holder may occur and do not compromise the holder's integrity. Obvious or distracting scuffs or cracks are eligible for complimentary reholder within 14 days of receiving the graded book from CGC. Because you purchased the book as a third party, most likely the book is no longer eligible for a complimentary reholder. If you would like to resubmit the book for a paid reholder, the fee is $20 for books valued up to $1,000, and $50 for anything valued above $1,000.  A paid membership is required to submit reholder service, however, as a courtesy I can upgrade your membership to the Associate level free of charge. Please let me know if you are interested and I will collect the necessary information via direct message. The blemishes pictured are considered minor, and we cannot guarantee that submitting the book for reholder would not result in some small stress lines at the seams holder.  

Please note that the grade assigned to the book should not change unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly. To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder.

Regarding the movement of the book, it is normal for there to be some movement, and when handled and stored with care, this movement will not result in any damage to the book. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Hello NickiO. I greatly appreciate your response. This is the most expensive slab purchase I have done, so I thank you for letting me know concerning the condition. I believe my biggest concern is with the shifting in the slab, as you can hear the clashing of the plastic protector around the comic with the inside of the slab. I understand a bit of movement may be common, but even movement like this is common?

and thank you for the offer! I would happily consider the membership upgrade! 

On 10/26/2023 at 12:37 AM, SinisterCryptid said:

Hello NickiO. I greatly appreciate your response. This is the most expensive slab purchase I have done, so I thank you for letting me know concerning the condition. I believe my biggest concern is with the shifting in the slab, as you can hear the clashing of the plastic protector around the comic with the inside of the slab. I understand a bit of movement may be common, but even movement like this is common?

and thank you for the offer! I would happily consider the membership upgrade! 

From experience, the slabs for thicker books tend to have a little more wiggle room for inner well. Sometimes reholdering will lessen it.