• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Article on Nostalgia tied to loneliness
1 1

49 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2023 at 11:10 PM, Rick2you2 said:

If you like quality, let me recommend the Korean shows on Netflix as well as Wiki Rakuten. I am addicted now, and don’t mind the subtitles.

Subtitles are a must for me on most things, lol!  My hearing's definitely deteriorated as I get older and my wife doesn't like me turning up the volume so I can hear WTF I'm supposed to be listening to . . . so subtitles (and lower volume) make a nice compromise!

Edited by The Voord

On 10/26/2023 at 3:04 AM, comix4fun said:

The worst offender?  Chips Ahoy. Somewhere along the line they went straight trash. 

Or maybe we just got used to eating half decent chocolate chip cookies.

On 10/26/2023 at 6:05 AM, Rick2you2 said:
On 10/25/2023 at 9:32 PM, tth2 said:

Americanizing a foreign TV show is nothing new.  "House of Cards" and "Three's Company" are just two examples of British shows that were redone for American audiences.   

I am aware of that. Same with All in the Family. The point is simply another example of Greed. 

Not necessarily.  The sad reality is that most of the American public won't watch a show if everyone speaks with an English accent, let alone a foreign language where they'd have to read subtitles. 

So the only way to expose them to a decent TV show or movie is to reshoot it with people speaking 'Murican. 

On 10/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, tth2 said:

Not necessarily.  The sad reality is that most of the American public won't watch a show if everyone speaks with an English accent, let alone a foreign language where they'd have to read subtitles. 

So the only way to expose them to a decent TV show or movie is to reshoot it with people speaking 'Murican. 

It's not the accent (for most viewers at least) it's the vernacular, slang, and location specific jokes and commentary that don't translate as well or as completely. 

Also, the production values and budget per episode can vary wildly. The example I go to is UK Office vs US Office. A lot translates, some doesn't, but those UK episodes were shot on a sliver of the budget of the US version and you can see it in camera work and overall production value. 

On 10/27/2023 at 11:52 AM, comix4fun said:

It's not the accent (for most viewers at least) it's the vernacular, slang, and location specific jokes and commentary that don't translate as well or as completely. 

Also, the production values and budget per episode can vary wildly. The example I go to is UK Office vs US Office. A lot translates, some doesn't, but those UK episodes were shot on a sliver of the budget of the US version and you can see it in camera work and overall production value. it’s both.  

It’s both of those factors.   

If it’s not ‘murican a lot of people aren’t interested.   Pence variants of amazing fantasy 15 trade at 50% for this reason.   The book is otherwise identical… but it’s not ‘murican. 

On 10/27/2023 at 11:21 AM, Bronty said:

It’s both of those factors.   

If it’s not ‘murican a lot of people aren’t interested.   Pence variants of amazing fantasy 15 trade at 50% for this reason.   The book is otherwise identical… but it’s not ‘murican. 

For the longest time people assumed that the US AF 15 was printed a month before the UK Pence version because the US Version has an "Aug" (8/62) designation on the cover and the Pence only has a September, 1962 designation on the inside indicia. The stink of "reprint" (even inaccurate) stuck for long time. 

I've never understood the US resistance to UK TV. Here in the UK we managed to make some sort of sense of your TV no matter how weird and different to our lifestyles it was from the Lucy Show, Petticoat Junction, Bonanza, Van Dyke, Rhoda to whatever current stuff is streaming. Perhaps you might have enjoyed Man about the House if you'd been able to see it. How did you get on with The Avengers (Steed and Emma etc) or Doctor Who?

For the longest time people assumed that the US AF 15 was printed a month before the UK Pence version because the US Version has an "Aug" (8/62) designation on the cover and the Pence only has a September, 1962 designation on the inside indicia. The stink of "reprint" (even inaccurate) stuck for long time.

Won't the US version have September 1962 on the inside indicia as the comics are the same apart from the different price on the cover and the omission of the month date. The UK pence Marvels then had the month removed because due to their long journey otherwise they would have been out of date by the time they went on sale. And as our AF15 is possibly ten times rarer than yours (due to substantially fewer being printed) then it ought to sell for a similar price if not more.   

Edited by themagicrobot

On 10/27/2023 at 1:05 PM, comix4fun said:

For the longest time people assumed that the US AF 15 was printed a month before the UK Pence version because the US Version has an "Aug" (8/62) designation on the cover and the Pence only has a September, 1962 designation on the inside indicia. The stink of "reprint" (even inaccurate) stuck for long time. 

That might have been the reason put on it at some point, but let's not kid ourselves.

Foreign = yuck for most US buyers.

1980s Cdn variants don't sell for as much as US variants either.  

And TBH I can understand wanting the exact version that was for sale in your own country; that's fair.    It is what it is and its fair play.   But to bring it full circle, in the same way that people want the comics (or other collectibles; lots of examples...) that came out in their own country, Americans want to watch shows that look American to them.     That's just a fact and I think generally very apparent to those of us outside the US.     I don't think its 'wrong' to be clear.   People can watch what they want and buy what they want.     

Edited by Bronty

Interesting study, but I don't know if it's "loneliness" in my case. I understand that we romanticize the past and gloss over the problems of other eras, but things do seem a lot more wild now, or at least that's the perception created by the internet with having too much access to information regarding world events.  That nostalgia seems more like escapism both in story and in mental time/headspace as far as I'm concerned.  Same thing goes for video games...there was something elegant in their simplicity and tasks to be performed.  Too much realism in games removed the magic for me, personally :/

On 10/27/2023 at 12:17 PM, BigMookie said:

That nostalgia seems more like escapism both in story and in mental time/headspace as far as I'm concerned. 

That is definitely a factor for me.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:52 AM, comix4fun said:

Also, the production values and budget per episode can vary wildly. The example I go to is UK Office vs US Office. A lot translates, some doesn't, but those UK episodes were shot on a sliver of the budget of the US version and you can see it in camera work and overall production value. 

Subtitles are cool. Dubbed is also cool. But there's some UK shows that the voice performances are so mush-mouthed, it's impossible to make it out. And I still have decent hearing. I shut off Bullet Train after 5 minutes of listening to the two English guys at the beginning - I thought "I'm not dealing with this for two hours." Click.

If I can't understand the dialogue, I'm out. There's plenty of UK shows where they have actors who can enunciate properly, and I have no bones watching them.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:05 PM, themagicrobot said:

(tsk)

the market is what it is.   American buyers don't respond to foreign collectibles to the same extent as American collectibles.

I've had some American buyers express this to me in very clear terms.   

Obviously, others don't care.    And there's also many that want to feel like they don't care, but their buying behaviour says otherwise.

Edited by Bronty

It’s funny how you use the word “foreign “ as I don’t think it applies so much in the UK. We embrace the whole world. I love your comics but I also love UK comics and European comics. What car do you drive? I have a British car … a Bond…look it up… and a German car… an Opel…..and an American car… a Mustang V8

If you discount stuff from anywhere else as inferior I think it is you that are missing out.

On 10/27/2023 at 4:26 PM, themagicrobot said:

It’s funny how you use the word “foreign “ as I don’t think it applies so much in the UK. We embrace the whole world. I love your comics but I also love UK comics and European comics. What car do you drive? I have a British car … a Bond…look it up… and a German car… an Opel…..and an American car… a Mustang V8

If you discount stuff from anywhere else as inferior I think it is you that are missing out.

Well if you like the use of the word foreign, you would really enjoy the use of the word "overseas."

A good number of Americans conflate "overseas" with "international" regularly.

I once had to ask an ebay seller that was mad at me for purchasing an item with no "overseas" shipping to specify exactly which "sea" was between BC and California as my map didn't indicate one :kidaround:      He begrudgingly agreed there was no sea to fly over but I should have 'known what he meant.'

In other words, 

Outside of US = Overseas.

Hawaii and Alaska = Not overseas.    Despite there being, you know, "seas"/oceans separating the land masses which require flying "over."

And look, if I'm living in the US, I'm probably acting the same way, so no hate.    They are used to the convenience of being able to transact totally within their own borders.   If anything I'm jealous!

Edited by Bronty