• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Link Fall Featured Auction Nov 17
2 2

125 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2023 at 7:27 PM, Grendel72 said:

The incription by Gaiman rly hurts to see. Not that I could afford it but I wouldn't bid on it. 

I normally really REALLY hate these. The care Gaiman took on this one makes it not as bad. In the blank space off to the side minimizes the detraction to me. 

Also, given what this page is...the absolute heartbreaking peak of this issue and Death's role in the Sandman universe....it's hard for me to even see the inscription beyond all that.

On 10/26/2023 at 1:14 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Does anyone know why artists sign inside the panels? Is it arrogance? Bitterness because the page is now worth 20x what they sold it for? I am dumbfounded as to why this happens.

Maybe it's the reverse. Can't speak for all of them but some don't sign thinking about the value or that it even matters. In this instance, it was inscribed to someone,  meant as a token or in appreciation. Dont think Gaiman thought much beyond that. 

I may be misremembering but wasn't one of the assistant editors named Alissa? And considering when this came out, going on 35 years ago, I doubt anyone gave much thought to signing inside the panel. This wasn't too far removed from the era of the "hand coloring original art" trend.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:59 PM, christosgage said:

I may be misremembering but wasn't one of the assistant editors named Alissa? And considering when this came out, going on 35 years ago, I doubt anyone gave much thought to signing inside the panel. This wasn't too far removed from the era of the "hand coloring original art" trend.

She only spells it with one s.  Alisa Kwitney

On 10/25/2023 at 1:05 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

So many Sandman pages have popped up recently, and so many more in the upcoming Nov HA auction (including Dringenberg pages, and another page from issue #8 - not as nice)

given the above, plus other considerations, I think it will be challenging for this page to cross $100K

Yes I have to agree, the market has been inundated with Sandman pages the last few months, that personalisation right across the art of a fantastic page hurts it and with the economy in the crapper I can't see this breaking $100k. Especially on CLink.