• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Books With 3-D Glasses
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I had a question about how CGC grades books from the late 80's/90's (or any I suppose) that came with the 3-D glasses. Many of the times I find these without the glasses and I wondered if CGC gives the book a green label in these cases. Can anyone confirm? I mean, I know that ASM #238 without the tats is considered green label (or hit hard with a low grade blue label) and I also know a book missing a poster or pinup is treated the same way but was unsure if the 3-D glasses were.

Curious because if I ever do send in my one Sheena Queen Of The Jungle 3-D comic (double cover too!), I would like to know what label I could expect.

From what I am led to believe is, if the glasses were actually attached to the comic when new and are now detached or missing then you would get a Green label, if the glasses were loose such as additional items in a polybagged book then no, CGC will not deduct for that and you would receive a Blue label.

If the book in question is the 1953 issue that reads "Free Glasses" at the top left cover then I would assume you would get a Green Label if they are missing or detached, the 1985 version I am not sure.

1054769.jpgI did look in my Sad Sack Harvey 3D Hits and there is a cardboard piece showing where the glasses were attached.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

thumbnail (14).jpg

Edited by marvelmaniac

On 10/25/2023 at 12:55 PM, marvelmaniac said:

From what I am led to believe is, if the glasses were actually attached to the comic when new and are now detached or missing then you would get a Green label, if the glasses were loose such as additional items in a polybagged book then no, CGC will not deduct for that and you would receive a Blue label.

If the book in question is the 1953 issue that reads "Free Glasses" at the top left cover then I would assume you would get a Green Label if they are missing or detached, the 1985 version I am not sure.

1054769.jpgI did look in my Sad Sack Harvey 3D Hits and there is a cardboard piece showing where the glasses were attached.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

thumbnail (14).jpg

(thumbsu

On 10/25/2023 at 9:55 AM, marvelmaniac said:

1054769.jpg

I think the original poster is talking about this version:

Sheena_3D.thumb.jpg.727c96d4c50cd627336c6af2c667877f.jpg

I think the glasses on this one came separate, if I recall correctly the retailer handed you a pair of glasses when you bought the book.  But I could be very wrong.

One of these years I'm going to need to go through my 3D books and catalogue just how many different versions of the 3D glasses I actually have.

679619666_3dGlasses.thumb.jpg.9b412c92a760cbf5ddbe5ddde4d617ea.jpg

On 10/25/2023 at 1:16 PM, OtherEric said:

I think the original poster is talking about this version:

Sheena_3D.thumb.jpg.727c96d4c50cd627336c6af2c667877f.jpg

I think the glasses on this one came separate, if I recall correctly the retailer handed you a pair of glasses when you bought the book.  But I could be very wrong.

One of these years I'm going to need to go through my 3D books and catalogue just how many different versions of the 3D glasses I actually have.

679619666_3dGlasses.thumb.jpg.9b412c92a760cbf5ddbe5ddde4d617ea.jpg

Yes this is the book in question

I cannot see anything inside the book (a page or anything near the staples) that would suggest that the book had the glasses attached inside. And the other 3-D book I have from this era (The Alien Worlds issue) was acquired with the glasses just "in the bag". Upon researching then, I determined that yes these glasses were correct for the book but had always wondered how they were distributed or if I was missing how they were attached (other than just being slipped inside when purchased). 

When consulting the CGC census on the book in question, there are 202 graded copies that are blue and only 3 qualified copies. I wish I could know why those 3 were qualified to get a sense if the glasses (or lackthereof) played a role.

On 10/25/2023 at 11:15 AM, comicginger1789 said:

When consulting the CGC census on the book in question, there are 202 graded copies that are blue and only 3 qualified copies. I wish I could know why those 3 were qualified to get a sense if the glasses (or lackthereof) played a role.

My guess would be unverified signatures on the qualified books.

On 10/25/2023 at 6:04 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Many of the times I find these without the glasses and I wondered if CGC gives the book a green label in these cases. Can anyone confirm?

Missing glasses are treated the same way as any other "qualified eligible" defect: books that are otherwise low grade (say below about 4.0/4.5) will receive a Universal Grade, and books that are otherwise mid to high grade will receive a Qualified Grade (unless, of course, the submitter specifically requests a blue label).  :foryou:

10x2.thumb.jpg.c0c9692d87ebe5f6eb3e2794d098743e.jpg 15x1.thumb.jpg.acdf000125ccf193339222689bd86496.jpg Q70x1.thumb.jpg.ac469a23f87a7dc658262e68c6031409.jpg Q75x1.thumb.jpg.ead8232e3d44c67c493d62e8e56e96b8.jpg

Edited by zzutak

On 10/25/2023 at 5:39 PM, zzutak said:

Missing glasses are treated the same way as any other "qualified eligible" defect: books that are otherwise low grade (say below about 4.0/4.5) will receive a Universal Grade, and books that are otherwise mid to high grade will receive a Qualified Grade (unless, of course, the submitter specifically requests a blue label).  :foryou:

10x2.thumb.jpg.c0c9692d87ebe5f6eb3e2794d098743e.jpg 15x1.thumb.jpg.acdf000125ccf193339222689bd86496.jpg Q70x1.thumb.jpg.ac469a23f87a7dc658262e68c6031409.jpg Q75x1.thumb.jpg.ead8232e3d44c67c493d62e8e56e96b8.jpg

This makes sense. In those examples though were the glasses attached to the comic in some manner, in which case you can clearly see where they were removed? With the book I have I see no indicators of such a thing. Hence I do not know if they were attached to the comic in some way.

If someone else had a copy of Blackthornes 3-D Sheena with the Dave Stevens cover to know that would be the ultimate answer

I bought 3 copies of this book in 1985... it did come with 3D Glasses, but not attached.. they were just handed to you .. I got mine with no bends and still have them that way.. can't grade them with the book or it would be too bulky and you would have to fold them up to fit in the enclosure... so it makes sense that CGC doesn't ding you for no glasses... but I wonder if there is a premium if you have them with it..