• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panel or Splash?

37 posts in this topic

This questions sometimes boils down to story vs. art. If you loved the book for the story, then panel pages are where it's at! Think Watchmen, or any story by Moore for that matter! Those are examples where the interiors are far more important than a splashy page of art.

As usual, Hari is on the money.

For me, it depends, on what you want from a certain book or character.

Take Hellblazer, for instance. Would you prefer to have a big splash panel of JC or a piece of a story that "shows off" his character?

Preacher is another great example. Would you rather have a full page Herr Star or a panel page where you really get a sense of what a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed he really is?

A big splash is great (I love my Superman/Batman splash page), but panels are just as good.

I like both, and have both.

For me, it's about the content. There are splashes I'm just not interested in, and others I'd give my left nut for.

Same with panel pages. I especially like having multi-page runs of panels so that you can see the story develop. There's something very cool about having the heart of a comic you loved as a kid... cloud9.gif

Thanks for the comments, guys. I've been out of the loop for a while so I was wondering where things stood re: splashes and panels. Just bought my first page of OA today in nearly 15 years. Will try to post it when I get it.

I agree...at least with panel pages, it's more about the story...and for the most part, removing the word balloons is akin to having the page neutered. Splashes and covers, though, are a different story...with them it's more about the art itself, and I'd rather have them free of text.

Court

I kind of like the pages with no word balloons. Often times, looking at the comic books, you miss some of the art because a balloon is hiding it. If I've read the book and have a copy of it, I'd rather not have the word balloons. But I suppose I'm of the next gen of comic readers.

I think it is kind of silly to ask "panel" or "splash". Of course I would prefer a splash page, but I will always go for a panel because I am not going to drop insane amounts of money on a piece of OA. It is like asking do I prefer an X-men #1 CGC 2.5 or CGC 9.8. I am definetly happy with panel pages, even though I only have two pieces and one of them is a splash. So I suppose I prefer a panel page because I can afford it. yay.gif