• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do we buy graded golden age comics? Support Group Thread........ Raw Sharing only!!!!!
3 3

70 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2023 at 4:53 PM, JB123 said:

I agree completely and love the item.

I want to inspect my item..........

Might as well switch to collecting vinyl LP's unless CGC has started slabbing them like grading factory sealed Laser Disks? Bruce Hamilton ahead of his time?

image.jpeg.7574f3e4c3eec4e401cf53e53dcc81e3.jpeg

On 10/29/2023 at 12:10 PM, aardvark88 said:

Might as well switch to collecting vinyl LP's unless CGC has started slabbing them

This is a sore subject. I'm a drive-in VHS person from that era. We knew the guy that ran the store and ended up with all the rare movies floating around our town and I scooped up a bunch of them as a hobby etc.........

Well....... at some point they became worth thousands of dollars and someone slabs them now???????

So I have all these movies we just used to watch for fun and now I have to lock them up because the slabbing company has made them go thru roof?

What is going on? Im getting Dizzy with all this stuff....... I just want to read a comic and watch a movie and hang with my cute young girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a solution?

On 10/28/2023 at 9:53 AM, D84 said:

MY BATMAN #9: I married the centerfold, knowing that the tear through the entire book (minus the centerfold) and the main book is miscut (centerfold is square) should make it obvious to catch, but...

2030899-002f.thumb.jpg.f9dd376d43921c4325c8dab7c4fccc4c.jpg

I've cracked the book out and decided to not trust slabs anymore than I would a raw copy.

And no notation of the restoration work on the cover?  :whatthe:

On 10/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, JB123 said:

This is a sore subject. I'm a drive-in VHS person from that era. We knew the guy that ran the store and ended up with all the rare movies floating around our town and I scooped up a bunch of them as a hobby etc.........

Well....... at some point they became worth thousands of dollars and someone slabs them now???????

So I have all these movies we just used to watch for fun and now I have to lock them up because the slabbing company has made them go thru roof?

What is going on? Im getting Dizzy with all this stuff....... I just want to read a comic and watch a movie and hang with my cute young girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a solution?

Video game collector here. I have all my old carts from the 80s. Well- loved but complete with the boxes. I personally have a problem with an item not being used to its actual intrinsic potential and if you wish to turn your comics into giant baseball cards then all power to you as you can still enjoy the front cover and advertisement for GRIT/Hostess Twinkies/Art School on the back. However, with video games everything worthwhile comes from playing the game. The slabbing of those burns my cockles.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 10/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, JB123 said:

I just want to read a comic and watch a movie and hang with my cute young girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a solution?

If they start slabbing vintage lobby cards and one-sheets, u can still read both sides of the old paper. Looking forward to the next Hop Harrigan DC Entertainment Universe movie hype train $$:

image.jpeg.277f3bbd9ed451aa9aa24d90b5b21c43.jpeg

On 10/29/2023 at 5:20 PM, Krydel4 said:

turn your comics into giant baseball cards

This makes sense........Coin grading

Card Grading

Posters - anything that can be inspected and enjoyed reasonably......... We will allow a stupid cut to a fake service in those scenarios it makes us more money

The comic is just a different animal all together - the VHS as well - We open sealed tapes that are molded to no end??????? yet they appear 10's

The grading company don't know???

Do they have a mold sniffing dog on the grading line???

No jokes about ex-girlfriends here please.............

On 10/29/2023 at 6:29 PM, aardvark88 said:

If they start slabbing vintage lobby cards and one-sheets, u can still read both sides of the old paper. Looking forward to the next Hop Harrigan DC Entertainment Universe movie hype train $$:

image.jpeg.277f3bbd9ed451aa9aa24d90b5b21c43.jpeg

I love that poster - Thanks for sharing...........

On 10/29/2023 at 4:27 PM, aardvark88 said:

Stephen Spielberg was rumored to direct 'Blackhawk' live action movie in the vein of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' decades ago. Slab it or stab it (the one-sheet) to your man cave's wall.

image.jpeg.589b6a33a94adb5dc39c43b6eb16ae74.jpeg

Unlike today where prices on the Blackhawk comic books would have shot up like a rocket with all the related movie hype before fizzling after its release, ny bet is that the Blackhawk movie serial release back in 1952 didn't even move the needle at all on the Blackhawk comics back then.  hm 

On 10/29/2023 at 6:29 PM, aardvark88 said:

Supposedly, CGC already grades lobby cards (or used to)... I searched but couldn't find any current info on their site.  I bought a set of Bullitt lobbies off Heritage a few years back that were CGC graded.  It didn't seem to take off.  The "slabs" were flexible with binder holes so they could be put into notebooks.  I didn't care for them, as I was expecting a thin, but rigid holder so they could be flipped through in a box.  Too bad... lobbies make perfect sense to slab, and there are hundreds of thousands (millions?) out there... so if done right could be quite lucrative for a grading company.   Also, there are a lot of reproductions and forgeries out there (some very difficult to tell from originals) so it would be nice to have the authentication.

On 10/29/2023 at 11:23 PM, lou_fine said:

Unlike today where prices on the Blackhawk comic books would have shot up like a rocket with all the related movie hype before fizzling after its release, ny bet is that the Blackhawk movie serial release back in 1952 didn't even move the needle at all on the Blackhawk comics back then.  hm 

So your sage advice is for me to spec on Congo Bill Action Comics hot comic cover appearances b4 the next DCEU movie hype phase? He is like the Phantom or Tarzan only without the loin cloth.

image.jpeg.3b3b84b02085d431b9201a76d298dbd3.jpeg

On 10/28/2023 at 12:15 PM, JB123 said:

I bought PGX USA 9 in Fair condition and I was sweating balls when I cracked it!!!!!! I was worried.......

It was like a lottery ticket or a Willy Wonka Bar!!!!!!!

I won the Golden Ticket!!!!!!

PGX can grade books just like most of us. I wanted to sell my Tec 1 and 27 Bat 1 when I wanted to buy a house here in California.

CGC was way too much money to grade at the time for someone who wanted money.

I had these books RAW for years and lots of people looked them over including me Mark Wilson and so on, so I had great idea on the grades. PGX did a great job grading them and I was there while they graded them, so all went smooth. the difference is CGC is like Heritage and PGX is like newspaper add. I will say if you put the name out of it, they are just people grading a book.

We all make mistakes in life and so does CGC that's how we all get better.

CGC is still the top grading company but the Fees:makepoint:

On 10/31/2023 at 11:44 AM, woowoo said:

CGC is still the top grading company

Maybe this is their issue? TOP doesn't mean good. Especially in comics with the known personalities that manipulate market etc......

TOP could be DR. DOOM combined with RED SKULL at a rave in Soho. They are in the back room planning the take of all our comics..........

So what does TOP mean?????? Anyone can chime in.....

I'm confused? But that's normal.........

On 10/29/2023 at 7:22 PM, circumstances said:

I stopped actively collecting before slabbing existed.

What about OLD Skool New Bag Technology? Before Slabbing we pressed in the bathroom for moisture and then placed the fresher comic in a fresh Robert Bell Bag and Board!!!!!!! I would grade the comic as well............

I did a good job compared to what they do today albeit my volume was suspect compared to CGC

I'm trustworthy? I can grade? Why does a child grading at CGC have more clout than a 60 year old who sniffs paper for a hobby?

How could that be?

On 10/31/2023 at 10:23 AM, JB123 said:

TOP doesn't mean good.

So what does TOP mean??????

I would suggest that in this context it means best known and as such, highest cost for their services.   IOW one pays for that label.  

That said, I've noticed a recent decline in the condition of books in any given grade from them.  What used to be a VG they now seem to grade as a Fine. 

Overstreet, OTOH, has not changed their grading standards AFAIK, and is the guide I use, regardless of a CGC determination.  CGC will give a grade as high as 3.5 (VG-) for books that have slightly brittle pages, while Overstreet considers that condition in the 1.0 - 1.5 range.  CGC heavily weighs their grading on the cover condition, which might seem relevant given that the FC and BC are the only elements of the book to be seen in a slab.

I recently bagged a slabbed PLOD on HA with a CGC 6.5 label.  The description stated that among other things the staples had been replaced, and at least one of them was visually obvious.  Overstreet grading would have placed it as a 1.5 for that defect alone.  Regardless, the PLOD designation made it affordable for me.