• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You paid what for that?
1 1

213 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2023 at 1:35 PM, CAHokie said:
  On 10/31/2023 at 11:58 AM, VintageComics said:

Do I understand this correctly? You're saying you don't like my posts, can't ignore me as much as you'd like to but came into my thread to make a post ANYWAY? doh!

I'm getting messages from random boardies asking me what's going on and they've commented unsolicited on how every time you appear, moderation appears and then threads get moved to the Watercooler. It's not just me. Everyone sees it.

No, you don't understand this correctly. 

Yes, I posted in a thread you started.  As I wrote already, it's an interesting title for a thread that I took at face value and posted in it.  Looks like the posts I made are popular and enjoyed by many, and I enjoy posting scans of comics that I bought when new and held in my collection for 30 to 40 years.

As for threads of yours getting moved to the Water Cooler, I don't have anything to do with it, and couldn't name any thread of yours other than the one on Artificial Intelligence that's been moved there.  Are there really more than that one?  The only other thread I've seen get moved was one started by Get_Marwood recalling those board members missing in action, and it was he who requested right in his thread that it get moved to a more appropriate forum when its subject matter shifted.

Edited by namisgr

On 10/31/2023 at 2:56 PM, namisgr said:

No, you don't understand this correctly. 

Yes, I posted in a thread you started.  As I wrote already, it's an interesting title for a thread that I took at face value and posted in it.  Looks like the posts I made are popular and enjoyed by many, and I enjoy posting scans of comics that I bought when new and held in my collection for 30 to 40 years.

As for threads of yours getting moved to the Water Cooler, I don't have anything to do with it, and couldn't name any thread of yours other than the one on Artificial Intelligence that's been moved there.  Are there really more than that one?  The only other thread I've seen get moved was one started by Get_Marwood recalling those board members missing in action, and it was he who requested right in his thread that it get moved to a more appropriate forum when its subject matter shifted.

This isn't a convo for this public forum and I've repeatedly stated that I'd be happy to clear up anything with anyone, but the way to do it at this point is privately.

If there are misunderstandings / mischaracterizations or misconceptions the ONLY way such a thing can be resolved is through discourse without the distractions of an audience. I'd even be happy to do it with anyone mediating.

I think EVERYONE at this point would appreciate this being resolved and put to bed. Ball is in your court. 

OK, this is a repost because I found my lost pics! :cloud9:

This is a Thrilling Comics from 1941.

The book has been taped along it's open edge and also across the spine on the outside. 

The tape is so old, that it's actually lifted off the spine as the glue had long since dissolved but the tape still sits snugly around the spine like a fossil. lol

I was trying to figure out how to find out if this was a Pop Hollinger book. 

Pop Hollinger was one of THE FIRST comic book dealers, conservators. He would take old comics and repair them to keep the readable. 

The tape on this book was so old that I suspect it may have been. 

For more on Pop, you can check this out. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_Hollinger

image.thumb.jpeg.2971294d6953e7fe932925735ca0cd29.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.26f1163d9fafba0676e8673fd29a5b26.jpeg

More tres cool stuff. 

This is bound volume of collected newspaper comics in French. 

These newspapers are from the early to mid 1940's.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a4b79473c8908c1234e68575ba00f41.jpeg

Edited by VintageComics

Dave loves his watches as well as his comic books!

Early Superman appearance. 

image.thumb.jpeg.86ff7ab9957de2e7e31c4702be787347.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2a50b2b0934358a325f4b341036d8a0c.jpeg

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/31/2023 at 3:45 PM, davidpg said:

Good God @VintageComics will you finally get a new phone!!!!!! ;)

If your backwoods cabin had proper lighting everything would have turned out great. :D

On 10/31/2023 at 4:16 PM, davidpg said:
On 10/31/2023 at 4:10 PM, Senormac said:

Flash glare dead center :( 

He's a real Annie Leibovitz.

I actually did that on purpose. 

I love how glossy and bright the books from that OO collection are. 

BTW. That's racist. :baiting:

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/31/2023 at 2:04 PM, VintageComics said:

I was a teenager working in a VW dealership as a young punk when this happened. 

McFarlane fever had reached a fever pitch right after the 1989 Batman movie created Bat-mania around the world for arguably the 2nd time in history. 

If you don't know how big Bat-mania was in 1989 I'd never seen anything like it. 

I think Michael Keaton was more popular then than Taylor Swift is now. lol

And remember, because collectors were complaining about subscription creases, ALL MARVELS WERE MAILED FLAT. :cloud9:

Those two pieces of cardboard worked pretty well back in the day. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6bd4b24ece42480c8ea3db0900e87275.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.95f3fbff810f84b70be4040d14e5f2d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12fecc44ecec2d0634805b0a113db7a4.jpeg

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/31/2023 at 4:19 PM, VintageComics said:

I actually did that on purpose. 

I love how glossy and bright the books from that OO collection are. 

True that the gloss on those books I found was amazing.  The Mister Mystery 11 I got from that collection graded out at 6.5...was a killer book!

On 10/31/2023 at 4:27 PM, davidpg said:

True that the gloss on those books I found was amazing.  The Mister Mystery 11 I got from that collection graded out at 6.5...was a killer book!

You should post some pics of the book markings and explain the story behind the markings.

It's an absolutely KILLER story that I think a lot of boardies would appreciate. 

On a side note, being collectors Dave and I have lots of different collecting niches but also share a love of music. 

Dave is a big music guy and he has a great vinyl and turntable collection. 

So we obviously had to pump some tunes will geeking out.

This KISS poster is from the Dynasty Album (I think that's what he said - I was never really a big KISS fan but appreciate the art)

image.thumb.jpeg.1c92e1ee372bfa485a6c3d921867e4ec.jpeg

Edited by VintageComics