• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You paid what for that?
1 1

213 posts in this topic

To give you some insight into my buddy Dave, he used to own a comic book store with his Mother.

The store opened in December 1988.

It was a 1,000,000 Comix franchise that was run by Gerry Ross. Not going to go down that rabbit hole....you can do your own research as that is a story to itself. 

Dave is telling me he still has a story to finish about that in a 12 year old thread but he likes to build the suspense. lol

Let's start with a bang.

This is a Canadian Price Variant. If you know about CPV's you know that this is one of the scarcest of them all.

May actually be one of the nicest existing copies of this mag.

There were 12 on the census as of Sept 2021.

He bought this off the Newsstand.

IMG_20231028_1919244.thumb.jpg.26b8dcdab644fdf2db310be040dcb16f.jpg

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/29/2023 at 4:50 PM, Senormac said:

Oh, I see.  He paid a buck twenty five for that mag.  :popcorn:

Hey, it was a fortune back in 1983! It may as well have been a $100! lol

Remember when a pack of chips or a chocolate bar was a quarter?

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/29/2023 at 12:08 PM, VintageComics said:

This is the only existing pic of Dave's old store.

At the age of 18 he had 3 jobs AND went to school. Would you believe he delivered pizza and chicken while owning a comic book store? 

Yes, he delivered pizza for the Domino's next door. lol

This is a shot from inside the Photo Viewer.

received_307453415386156.thumb.jpeg.f3d95af5ead70c8c3ee55095e0d2784c.jpeg

The very first comic shop I ever went to was a Toronto 1,000,000 Comics location. I used to cut school to go hang out at the location on Quinpool Road in Halifax in my teen years, it was where I bought my first issues of Sandman, Scud and The Maxx. That sign brings back huge memories. 

On 10/29/2023 at 7:48 PM, JollyComics said:

I played for 4.5 hours on one quarter and got 477,300 points on Asteroids.

I took my son to Funspot in New Hampshire as a surprise father / son road trip. It is amazing how far $20 can go with Arcades that still take quarters! (Well, tokens that are $0.25).  

Finding those early arcade machines is getting hard, but I love them. 

On 10/29/2023 at 9:47 PM, KCOComics said:

I took my son to Funspot in New Hampshire as a surprise father / son road trip. It is amazing how far $20 can go with Arcades that still take quarters! (Well, tokens that are $0.25).  

Finding those early arcade machines is getting hard, but I love them. 

I know few people own the original video arcades at homes but no Asteroids. :cry:

On 10/29/2023 at 10:54 PM, JollyComics said:

I know few people own the original video arcades at homes but no Asteroids. :cry:

I was bigger on Space Invaders. I had it for the Atari 2600 (the reboot. The original 2600 was before my time). 

1983 Ms Pacman is my favorite. There are 3 places in New England that I know of that still have original ones.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:48 PM, JollyComics said:

I played for 4.5 hours on one quarter and got 477,300 points on Asteroids.

Asteroids costs me nothing now its free but yeah for a quarter fill it with ships so I could let some stand in play it for me so I could rest my eyes for 5 minutes :insane:

On 10/29/2023 at 7:58 PM, KCOComics said:

I was bigger on Space Invaders. I had it for the Atari 2600 (the reboot. The original 2600 was before my time). 

1983 Ms Pacman is my favorite. There are 3 places in New England that I know of that still have original ones.

I just played a Pac Man at Costco like 6 or 7 times getting killed every time it felt like the original and stood just as tall as I remember . They wanted around 600 for it and when I went back a few days later they were all gone , I was surprised . Not that I was buying it ,just surprised they were all gone . Now i am gonna go search Ebay did I miss out on the new flip . :roflmao:

Can you guys please stop talking about video games?

I'm worried that my stalkers are going to have this thread moved to the WC too. lol

Just kidding. 

Carry on. Love the convo. 

On 10/30/2023 at 1:49 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Galaxian was my favourite as a teenager. Later, Galaga.

I was a Donkey Kong and Frogger guy, but more DK. 

I used to have a paper route across the road from our local mall and after collecting paper route money I would go straight to the arcade and spend all my cash on those games. 

What in incredibly fun time to be a kid in the 80s. There was a crossover of good times in the 80s as the digital age was just setting in so got a little of everything. 

We played kickball in the streets, Monopoly in our homes, we had a field at the end of our cul de sac so we had tree forts and bike paths, and we had the era of video games appear. 

It was a great time to be a kid.