• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics graded by CGG

116 posts in this topic

I'm really interested in trying out CGG. I have a whole pile of books I'd like "encapsulated", that I have absolutely no plan on selling. I'm not really that concerned about CGC vs. CGG. I want my NM or better comics protected, and CGC is simply to expensive(unless your selling them). How much are moderns? 8 dollars or so? It makes the idea of "slabbing runs" more feasible. I'd love to seal up and protect my ASM 298-328 run, but not for CGC's $19.00 a book. Ideally, I'd send 298-301 to CGC, and the rest to CGG. Kinda like the difference between mylars and regular comic bags.

Actually I thought the same thing about the two being too simular. When I was putting a title to this thread, I thought nobody is gonna read this. Thier all gonna think its about CGC. Too bad I can't put in big red letters; "HEY! THIS IS ABOUT CGG!"

>>But they kept CGG - and I swear I was half way into Mister_Comics post before I realized it was CGG and not CGC.

You guys need to check out the sportscard companies.

PSA, KSA, BGS, MGS, BVG, SGC, SCD, GAI, etc, etc

Say that 10 times fast.

that that that that that that that that that that

OK - on a serious note. There was only one Comic Encapsulation Company out there before CGG. Why not CEGS (Comic Encapsulation and Grading Service) or CGRDS (Comic Grading and Restoration Detection Service) or CGRVS (Comic Grading and Restoration Verification Service) or a multitude of other acronyms. It is just too close to CGC for only the second company.

OK - on a serious note. There was only one Comic Encapsulation Company out there before CGG. Why not CEGS (Comic Encapsulation and Grading Service) or CGRDS (Comic Grading and Restoration Detection Service) or CGRVS (Comic Grading and Restoration Verification Service) or a multitude of other acronyms. It is just too close to CGC for only the second company.

Trying to confuse and Mislead Consumers by using a similar name. Or ride onthe coat tails of CGC.

Sorry, you gotta think of a 3 letter name, as that's the norm for grading companies

Why? Who wrote in stone that they must have 3 letters? Where is the Three letter Committee? I think this argument is actually, and am being serious if you are, indicative of what can happen in our beloved hobby. Why do we have to follow some precept set by know one knows who?

The Bronze Age argument is a classic example of what we SHOULD be doing. Sure, I argue on the side of 1970 Conan/Werewoolf/Ghost Rider/Swamp Thing type anti-hero but folks have some passion whether they say Conan or GS X-Men.

But to say a 3-letter acronym is "the norm" is a lightweight argument. And I proffer the only coin grading service besdies NGC to be in the top rank of coin collector's opinions as being the most accurate: PCGS.

I just wanted to stay realistic, and note that since the vast majority of grading companies use 3-letter brand names, going outside that can be dangerous.

Shorter means easier to remember, it rolls off the tongue better than 4 or 5 letters.

Try it yourself:

Say:

PSA or CGC or KSA

then

PCGS

It's just smart business to not rock the boat, especially when you might be creating a tongue-twister. Not that I'm agreeing with CGG, but let's not get into something like insane like CEBGS.

OK - then CCS - Comic Condition Service.

But I will tell you - when I ocassinally seek MS coins for my 20th century typoe set only two comanies come to mind for slabbed - CGC and PCGS - and they are equally easy to remember.