• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
27 27

1,907 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2024 at 7:21 PM, Neo "The One" said:

I’m not the “King” of speculation but I’ll give it a stab.  “I’ll give you these books cheap if you make it look like a robbery” gets people off his back thinking they were stolen and puts in an insurance claim. Too far fetched?! {{{EDIT}}} I see some gents have beat me to this idea!

Think about where you live.  Like that has never happened before especially out here.  From auto body shops that have sledgehammers on premises to mysterious floods that claim inventory during high rains, it happens. 

On 8/25/2024 at 7:08 PM, Buzzetta said:

Think about where you live.  Like that has never happened before especially out here.  From auto body shops that have sledgehammers on premises to mysterious floods that claim inventory during high rains, it happens. 

In a world that's full of scumbags, be the unicorn. 

On 8/25/2024 at 11:59 PM, shadroch said:

In a world that's full of scumbags, be the unicorn. 

Just because I am aware of it, does not mean I partake in it. 

However there is a LOT of underhanded stuff that goes on.

Then there is STILL a lot of stuff that goes on that is kept hush hush by the powers that be.  

Give you a GREAT example.  I know of someone that is being held in prison for stabbing his girlfriend multiple times in her body and at least twice in the neck.  It has STILL not made the news.  It might have to do with who is father is.  Did it happen?  Sure, I did a search for him in the prison records and can see he has been in custody since mid August.   Not a single news report though about it.  I just checked the records. No bail on this one either. 

Long Island and the nicer areas of Queens and Brooklyn are still very good at keeping secrets.  They have to be, or the housing values go down. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/26/2024 at 12:09 AM, Buzzetta said:

Then there is STILL a lot of stuff that goes on that is kept hush hush by the powers that be.  

Give you a GREAT example.  I know of someone that is being held in prison for stabbing his girlfriend multiple times in her body and at least twice in the neck.  It has STILL not made the news.  It might have to do with who is father is.  Did it happen?  Sure, I did a search for him in the prison records and can see he has been in custody since mid August.   Not a single news report though about it.  I just checked the records. No bail on this one either. 

Long Island and the nicer areas of Queens and Brooklyn are still very good at keeping secrets.  They have to be, or the housing values go down.

Are you the only one who knows this information? Wouldn't the girl's family be calling EVERY news station ( not all of them can be on the take) and "outing" the father?

On 8/26/2024 at 12:28 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Are you the only one who knows this information? Wouldn't the girl's family be calling EVERY news station ( not all of them can be on the take) and "outing" the father?

Nope. Who knows why?  Actually I have an idea why since one of the people told me what the defense will be. 

I got a few late night text asking me if I knew that it happened as I know one of those involved. 

It's the talk of the proverbial town. 

But... so far... nothing in the news. (shrug)

On 8/25/2024 at 11:28 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Many times in nicer areas it isn't about being on the take, it is about protecting the image of the community they report on. It is alright to report on various crimes to keep the community "safe" but once you cross the line and report on something obviously violent, the blue haired boomer Karens begin questioning your ability to properly do your job. Then before you know it, the newpaper has budget cuts and you find yourself out of a job.

Violence like the above doesn't happen in "our" community it happens in those "other" towns.

I currently live (pretty much retired in) a very rural very small mid-west town that has this exact mindset; rarely the news stations 45 miles away will report on something if it is bad enough but you will not here about it locally in the papers.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:38 AM, DougC said:

Many times in nicer areas it isn't about being on the take, it is about protecting the image of the community they report on. It is alright to report on various crimes to keep the community "safe" but once you cross the line and report on something obviously violent, the blue haired boomer Karens begin questioning your ability to properly do your job. Then before you know it, the newpaper has budget cuts and you find yourself out of a job.

Violence like the above doesn't happen in "our" community it happens in those "other" towns.

I currently live (pretty much retired in) a very rural very small mid-west town that has this exact mindset; rarely the news stations 45 miles away will report on something if it is bad enough but you will not here about it locally in the papers.

Yup.  We ignored the drug problem for many years on Long Island in and around the schools thinking it would take care of itself. 

Now almost every school out here has narcan, even some middle schools from what I have heard from friends who have jobs.  It's gets progressively worse in the more well to do areas than the lower income areas. 

On 8/26/2024 at 12:37 AM, Buzzetta said:

Nope. Who knows why?  Actually I have an idea why since one of the people told me what the defense will be. 

I got a few late night text asking me if I knew that it happened as I know one of those involved. 

It's the talk of the proverbial town. 

But... so far... nothing in the news. (shrug)

Sorry if it causes you stress. Can't imagine knowing anyone mixed up in a homicide.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:42 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Sorry if it causes you stress. Can't imagine knowing anyone mixed up in a homicide.

Doesn't cause me stress at all.  I know of them.  It ain't fam.   You know what I mean? 

On 8/26/2024 at 12:47 AM, Buzzetta said:

Doesn't cause me stress at all.  I know of them.  It ain't fam.   You know what I mean? 

Ah, okay. I guess I attached more weight to "I got a few late night text asking me if I knew that it happened as I know one of those involved."

Historically when I've received late night texts about bad news they have caused me stress in some way.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:50 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Ah, okay. I guess I attached more weight to "I got a few late night text asking me if I knew that it happened as I know one of those involved."

Historically when I've received late night texts about bad news they have caused me stress in some way.

You have to be a real (spoon) to me on a personal level or do something egregious to family, friends, or our collective personal lives to get a rise out of me.  

Outside of that, actions may have to occur to rectify a situation to do the right thing but even then it’s not stressful. 

I will give you a good example.  Someone needlessly upset my parents on a personal level (aged 75 and 79) in the past year because they wanted to be funny.  I consulted with one of the board members here who is a lawyer.  The fear of god was put into that individual on multiple levels and it was no longer an issue.  

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/26/2024 at 12:09 AM, Buzzetta said:

I guess I’m naive!  I am curious about this though. 

On 8/26/2024 at 1:06 AM, Buzzetta said:

You have to be a real (spoon) to me on a personal level or do something egregious to family, friends, or our collective personal lives to get a rise out of me.  

Outside of that, actions may have to occur to rectify a situation to do the right thing but even then it’s not stressful. 

I will give you a good example.  Someone needlessly upset my parents on a personal level (aged 75 and 79) in the past year because they wanted to be funny.  I consulted with one of the board members here who is a lawyer.  The fear of god was put into that individual on multiple levels and it was no longer an issue.  

You definitely live a more exciting life than I do! :) 

On 8/26/2024 at 12:41 AM, Buzzetta said:

Yup.  We ignored the drug problem for many years on Long Island in and around the schools thinking it would take care of itself. 

Now almost every school out here has narcan, even some middle schools from what I have heard from friends who have jobs.  It's gets progressively worse in the more well to do areas than the lower income areas. 

Where I grew up in queens people disappeared all the time. Some made the news, but most didn’t. The locals knew why but it seemed that most people didn’t care unless they were directly affected. This was in the 70’s-early 90’s. 

On 8/25/2024 at 10:06 PM, Buzzetta said:

How about destroying your Avengers mansion and taking a few pieces?

On 8/26/2024 at 10:48 AM, greggy said:

How about destroying your Avengers mansion and taking a few pieces?

You're just all peanut butter and jealous because you don't live close enough to come over and build. 

On 8/26/2024 at 10:26 AM, joeypost said:

Where I grew up in queens people disappeared all the time. Some made the news, but most didn’t. The locals knew why but it seemed that most people didn’t care unless they were directly affected. This was in the 70’s-early 90’s. 

I remember being in my backyard worried that SOS might make a visit.   I think he was still the .44 caliber killer at the time. QV NY.

Edited by Neo "The One"

On 8/19/2024 at 12:22 PM, revat said:

Wayyy off topic, but it's really quite relative and incarceration can lead to better health outcomes than one might think.  Of course it depends on the jail or prison and your sentencing to some extent.  

BUT, depending on the behavior of many criminals (or alleged criminals) when they were out of confinement, one can really improve their health for some of the following reasons (I fully get there are a zillion ways your life can be worse in prison).  Of course a lot of this is stuff the inmate has to WANT for themselves too.

1.  You get 3 regular fairly nutritious meals a day - many regular folks and even more criminals don't get three square meals a day whether its behavior based or time restraints or financial issues.  Just doing this can improve a lot of health issues.

2.  Regular access to medications and medical care you might need - regular folks and even more criminals don't take care of their ailments in the way that they should, either because of time or finances or fear or laziness.  In prison you got nothing to do AND you get regular medical checkups.  And when you are prescribed with medicine, they essentially force you to take it, and you have no excuse not to take it or to miss an appointment.  

3.  Plenty of time to exercise - Nothing to do all day, get some exercise, and maybe some sun (depending on your situation).  Lift some weights, walk around the yard, do some sports, pushups in your cell.  This can do a lot for your body and your mind.  No pressure to make money or take care of your house or family.

4.  Assuming it was an issue before, there is no longer such regular easy access to alcohol and drugs.  Getting clean can be difficult (and I know some folks get that stuff smuggled in), but I'm sure plenty of inmates end up getting clean and improving their health this way.

5.  Mental health - regular free counseling, support groups, peace and quiet, less distractions, religion?, plus all the stuff above can improve mental health.  Which can also have positive effects for physical health.

6.  All of the stuff above plus forced lights out can lead to more and better sleep, which is obviously great too.

Again, I know incarceration is no cakewalk (nor should it be), and there are also opportunities for many bad things to get worse (much worse).  But I don't think the subject of this thread was making all the best moves with regards to improving his health whilst on the outside running from debtors and allegedly committing crimes and allegedly abusing substances and probably not eating or sleeping well, and for incarceration might actually afford a chance to improve his health, if the guy is wiling to.  

"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them..."