• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
27 27

1,907 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2024 at 10:26 AM, joeypost said:

Where I grew up in queens people disappeared all the time. Some made the news, but most didn’t. The locals knew why but it seemed that most people didn’t care unless they were directly affected. This was in the 70’s-early 90’s. 

It's sad that these things happen. 

I don't believe it's a sense of not caring but a sense of that there is only so much that one can do.  Let's go back to the stabbing.  What impact do I have on this matter?  The guy is already in custody.  She is in the hospital.  It's just not in the news?  Like I said, I have an idea why it has not made the news and it might have to do with the who the father of the suspect is but now also it seems the defense that may be used muddling the issue.  

We live in a world where nothing has changed.   I do not think that crime is has increased across the board as significantly as we lead ourselves to believe.  We are just more aware of it.  Take this morning for example.  A few towns north of here in Syosset, there was a five person murder suicide because the suspect was unhappy about the impending sale of the house.   That made the official news this morning but word of mouth across Long Island and social media and Ring doorbell networks and text messages were talking about it hours after it happened.    NY Post is reporting it now. https://nypost.com/2024/08/26/us-news/long-island-gunman-who-carried-out-syosset-murder-suicide-was-son-distraught-over-mothers-death-expected-sale-of-home-neighbor/

Here I am telling you about it.  I doubt anyone would that does not live here though would know about it without the social media of this message boards.  

To bring it back to Hero Restoration... if he did have a substance abuse problem.  No one knew about it?  No one in his personal life knew?    In my experience it is hard for people in that condition to perpetually hide it.  Eventually there are signs and people crack. 

On 8/26/2024 at 8:13 AM, The Lions Den said:
On 8/19/2024 at 9:22 AM, revat said:

Wayyy off topic, but it's really quite relative and incarceration can lead to better health outcomes than one might think.  Of course it depends on the jail or prison and your sentencing to some extent.  

BUT, depending on the behavior of many criminals (or alleged criminals) when they were out of confinement, one can really improve their health for some of the following reasons (I fully get there are a zillion ways your life can be worse in prison).  Of course a lot of this is stuff the inmate has to WANT for themselves too.

1.  You get 3 regular fairly nutritious meals a day - many regular folks and even more criminals don't get three square meals a day whether its behavior based or time restraints or financial issues.  Just doing this can improve a lot of health issues.

2.  Regular access to medications and medical care you might need - regular folks and even more criminals don't take care of their ailments in the way that they should, either because of time or finances or fear or laziness.  In prison you got nothing to do AND you get regular medical checkups.  And when you are prescribed with medicine, they essentially force you to take it, and you have no excuse not to take it or to miss an appointment.  

3.  Plenty of time to exercise - Nothing to do all day, get some exercise, and maybe some sun (depending on your situation).  Lift some weights, walk around the yard, do some sports, pushups in your cell.  This can do a lot for your body and your mind.  No pressure to make money or take care of your house or family.

4.  Assuming it was an issue before, there is no longer such regular easy access to alcohol and drugs.  Getting clean can be difficult (and I know some folks get that stuff smuggled in), but I'm sure plenty of inmates end up getting clean and improving their health this way.

5.  Mental health - regular free counseling, support groups, peace and quiet, less distractions, religion?, plus all the stuff above can improve mental health.  Which can also have positive effects for physical health.

6.  All of the stuff above plus forced lights out can lead to more and better sleep, which is obviously great too.

Again, I know incarceration is no cakewalk (nor should it be), and there are also opportunities for many bad things to get worse (much worse).  But I don't think the subject of this thread was making all the best moves with regards to improving his health whilst on the outside running from debtors and allegedly committing crimes and allegedly abusing substances and probably not eating or sleeping well, and for incarceration might actually afford a chance to improve his health, if the guy is wiling to.  

Expand  

"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them..."   

We hear millions of stories where very bad things happen in prison, and people get sicker or more cynical or more evil.  But what people don't talk about is that for some percentage of the population (higher than most people think, but not enough unfortunately), prison does help a person stabilize their life, get healthier, and put them on a better track for their life.  Not every convict will be able to access those potential benefits, and some that want to might not make it for any number of good or not good reasons, but quite a few people do improve their lives, which often isn't a high bar because their life was so chaotic before.  That is the theoretical goal of prison in most cases.

On 8/26/2024 at 11:19 AM, Buzzetta said:

It's sad that these things happen. 

I don't believe it's a sense of not caring but a sense of that there is only so much that one can do.  Let's go back to the stabbing.  What impact do I have on this matter?  The guy is already in custody.  She is in the hospital.  It's just not in the news?  Like I said, I have an idea why it has not made the news and it might have to do with the who the father of the suspect is but now also it seems the defense that may be used muddling the issue.  

We live in a world where nothing has changed.   I do not think that crime is has increased across the board as significantly as we lead ourselves to believe.  We are just more aware of it.  Take this morning for example.  A few towns north of here in Syosset, there was a five person murder suicide because the suspect was unhappy about the impending sale of the house.   That made the official news this morning but word of mouth across Long Island and social media and Ring doorbell networks and text messages were talking about it hours after it happened.    NY Post is reporting it now. https://nypost.com/2024/08/26/us-news/long-island-gunman-who-carried-out-syosset-murder-suicide-was-son-distraught-over-mothers-death-expected-sale-of-home-neighbor/

Here I am telling you about it.  I doubt anyone would that does not live here though would know about it without the social media of this message boards.  

To bring it back to Hero Restoration... if he did have a substance abuse problem.  No one knew about it?  No one in his personal life knew?    In my experience it is hard for people in that condition to perpetually hide it.  Eventually there are signs and people crack. 

I read about that story this am, but hesitated to post it here.  Guy was 60 and killed his siblings because he still lived in the house with his mom until she died, and didn't want them to sell it.  As far as Mike goes, supossedly he lived 'in the country'.  So maybe being far away from others and not around too many people, he was able to hide his problems easier.   

On 8/26/2024 at 8:27 AM, revat said:

We hear millions of stories where very bad things happen in prison, and people get sicker or more cynical or more evil.  But what people don't talk about is that for some percentage of the population (higher than most people think, but not enough unfortunately), prison does help a person stabilize their life, get healthier, and put them on a better track for their life.  Not every convict will be able to access those potential benefits, and some that want to might not make it for any number of good or not good reasons, but quite a few people do improve their lives, which often isn't a high bar because their life was so chaotic before.  That is the theoretical goal of prison in most cases.

Do you know of someone who spent time in prison and became a better person?

Just an observation.  I was editing the website, and I something hit me.  Its been unconcious all of this time, so I didn't even realize it.  There are those on this board that have mentioned they hope Mike cleans up, gets well and maybe even gets back on his feet again doing restorations, pressing etc.  I realized now that what I've been doing this whole time is to protect the victims.  This would include past victims, current victims and potential FUTURE VICTIMS.  Who is to say this guy doesn't seem to 'clean up' his act and starts the same all over again?  For some of you this may be a 'duh' moment directed at me, but for me it was an 'aha!' moment.  Mike is one person.  His victims are many.  And not just the guys that lost books or money.  He (IMO) betrayed everyone that would communicate with him - especally on these boards.  It would be nice that he gets well, but as memories fade down the road - I'd ask to keep in mind what he did and all of the the trust he betrayed.  :) 

On 8/26/2024 at 11:12 AM, Neo "The One" said:

I remember being in my backyard worried that SOS might make a visit.   I think he was still the .44 caliber killer at the time. QV NY.

That was around 1976 I believe. Most of NY city was a cesspool then. Once the city cleaned up 42nd street and Times Square tourists started coming back. 

On 8/26/2024 at 8:45 AM, Neo "The One" said:

Nelson Mandella and Ghandi.  Also MLK ;)

Did you know them before jail? Why do you think prison made Ghandi a better person?

On 8/26/2024 at 11:48 AM, shadroch said:

Did you know them before jail? Why do you think prison made Ghandi a better person?

I’m not advocating for jail. It was more snark than anything. I think they were all good men and would have been good with or without prison. Maybe they became better men In Spite of prison. I don’t have high hopes (or any hope) for Mike. I don’t really care either way. Don’t think his victims will ever be made whole. 

On 8/26/2024 at 11:28 AM, Neo "The One" said:

I’m not advocating for jail. It was more snark than anything. I think they were all good men and would have been good with or without prison. Maybe they became better men In Spite of prison. I don’t have high hopes (or any hope) for Mike. I don’t really care either way. Don’t think his victims will ever be made whole. 

nothing changes the facts of what he did. Prison or not, at this point it is better to think as for him, that it is stopped for now, and nothing wrong with protecting the future. The only factor in this that "can" change is his perspective, accepting the things one can change and hoping in a higher power for the things that cannot.

It aint perfect but is what we got, which I'd argue is better than times past. Nothing diminishes what he did, but he now serves as an example of what NOT to do and BE, nothing can change his action but to encourage somehow those things not to happen again and Lord willing that encourages those affected but that is a side note because we may have not "got there yet" .... again, perfectly understandable 

On 8/26/2024 at 8:36 AM, shadroch said:
On 8/26/2024 at 8:27 AM, revat said:

1000% I know folks.  I'm not talking about famous people or anything, although one could probably google and at least a couple of them would turn out a little better.  I'm not saying they went from stealing cars for meth to being the Ambassador to Spain.  I'm just talking about folks who lived in chaos and/or destitution to where they (after prison) can have a stable job and home and be responsible for themselves.  A lot of time that can come from the order, healthcare, and education, or someone who actually cares (religious advisor, counselor, medical staff, etc) available during incarceration.  Now most of the time most of us don't give people a lot of credit for that (meeting the bare minimum of being a non-harmful human), and I get that.  But for a decent percentage of the prison population, that is a dramatic improvement in circumstance from whatever their life was before going in.

**Again, I'm not saying that prison is great and that I love our prison industrial complex and that anyone should be thankful and nothing bad (or very bad) doesn't happen in prison.  For way too many people, prison has the opposite outcome of making things worse.  And there are a myriad of factors involved, many of which are out of the prisoners control.  But many many folks to come out net positive  compared to when they went in.

On 8/26/2024 at 11:43 AM, revat said:
On 8/26/2024 at 10:36 AM, shadroch said:
On 8/26/2024 at 10:27 AM, revat said:

Expand  

1000% I know folks.  I'm not talking about famous people or anything, although one could probably google and at least a couple of them would turn out a little better.  I'm not saying they went from stealing cars for meth to being the Ambassador to Spain.  I'm just talking about folks who lived in chaos and/or destitution to where they (after prison) can have a stable job and home and be responsible for themselves.  A lot of time that can come from the order, healthcare, and education, or someone who actually cares (religious advisor, counselor, medical staff, etc) available during incarceration.  Now most of the time most of us don't give people a lot of credit for that (meeting the bare minimum of being a non-harmful human), and I get that.  But for a decent percentage of the prison population, that is a dramatic improvement in circumstance from whatever their life was before going in.

**Again, I'm not saying that prison is great and that I love our prison industrial complex and that anyone should be thankful and nothing bad (or very bad) doesn't happen in prison.  For way too many people, prison has the opposite outcome of making things worse.  And there are a myriad of factors involved, many of which are out of the prisoners control.  But many many folks to come out net positive  compared to when they went in.

I always thought the most famous "celeb" was robert downey jr, which is a meme for Idk how long, but ya, it doesn't take away from their actions other than Lord Willing those actions are different now, hopefully, which is the goal but might not be yet solace to those the first go around. I find that understandable, we all have different ways of grieving and forgiving, but in the end that is how to let go of being hurt. I unfortunately agree and or know that not all will find that, which is apart of those first actions..... and so on.

On 8/26/2024 at 9:48 AM, shadroch said:

My brother in-law went to jail for dealing drugs.  I never liked him and never will because he's a low life, low class arse but now he's selling cars and living a relatively honest life.

On 8/26/2024 at 11:55 AM, thehumantorch said:

My brother in-law went to jail for dealing drugs.  I never liked him and never will because he's a low life, low class arse but now he's selling cars and living a relatively honest life.

lol there are none righteous, no not one. 

I have several relatives with situations similar and or friends that I've tried to help, and unfortunately, some have revisited and they are people you "love" but need help that "I" can't give, save to trust mercy rather that justice. All that is hard to do, but beats being longing for justice that "may never come", at least in this lifetime.

If anything noble, good, honor, etc. think on these things and it made me grateful for the little good still found, but it definitely is not easy.

mercy doesn't mean however to be a doormat, it means the "justice in this life available" is often the only mercy left for some to get things right, is what I mean, it just isn't a perfect justice. It IS something though.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:01 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol there are none righteous, no not one. 

I have several relatives with situations similar and or friends that I've tried to help, and unfortunately, some have revisited and they are people you "love" but need help that "I" can't give, save to trust mercy rather that justice. All that is hard to do, but beats being longing for justice that "may never come", at least in this lifetime.

If anything noble, good, honor, etc. think on these things and it made me grateful for the little good still found, but it definitely is not easy.

On 8/26/2024 at 1:06 AM, Buzzetta said:

I will give you a good example.  Someone needlessly upset my parents on a personal level (aged 75 and 79) in the past year because they wanted to be funny.  I consulted with one of the board members here who is a lawyer.  The fear of god was put into that individual on multiple levels and it was no longer an issue.  

That's scumbag behavior. Anyone does that to my dad they're going to be beaten to where it just keeps them out of the hospital. All my friends will rally on that because since mom passed my whole circle accepted him as one of their own and he hangs with us all the time. This is all off-topic so I'll stop there, but I'm sorry your folks had to go through that. Absolutely ridiculous behavior.

On 8/26/2024 at 11:19 AM, Buzzetta said:

If the business was in fact gone and he had no other employees...without family around, no one would be there to notice.

I assume he worked alone in his house and had no outside contact, at least from the dissolution of the business until the end times when he tried to hide.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:46 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I always thought the most famous "celeb" was robert downey jr, which is a meme for Idk how long, but ya, it doesn't take away from their actions other than Lord Willing those actions are different now, hopefully, which is the goal but might not be yet solace to those the first go around. I find that understandable, we all have different ways of grieving and forgiving, but in the end that is how to let go of being hurt. I unfortunately agree and or know that not all will find that, which is apart of those first actions..... and so on.

Gotta love RDJ!

On 8/26/2024 at 12:55 PM, thehumantorch said:

Would they happen to be used cars?  (ha!)