• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will pressing increase the grade of a color breaking crease?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello All-

I have an ASM 129 that was graded at a 6.0 due to a 3/4 page color breaking crease on the back cover. The rest of the book is practically flawless. With the naked eye, you can see some of the color breaking, but since the page is white, you can only see some. I was curious if pressing it and getting it regraded would potentially increase the grade? Or since it is obvious the color breaking line goes down a lot of the page, it would get graded similarly. You can see in the picture, the crease toward the middle of the page and the other pictures highlight the color breaking portion I can see.

Please let me know your thoughts if you think pressing and regrading will potentially be advantageous or not. Thanks.

crease.jpg

top back.jpg

motorcycle.jpg

Edited by Michael Duck

Pressing won't replace  ink lost in a colour breaking crease. If the book has already been pressed prior to grading then further pressing won't help. If it wasnt pressed, then you may get a small grade bump, but it will be unrelated to the crease. Personally I wouldn't meddle with a graded ASM129 that presents very nicely for the grade. Most 6.0s won't look as nice as yours!

On 11/6/2023 at 1:40 PM, Michael Duck said:

Thank you both for the responses. It's unfortunate the crease caused so much of a grade drop. Like I said, the book is beautiful otherwise as you can see in the below pic. Wonder if a different grader would have graded it differently.

Cover.jpg

+.5 is possible depending on grader but so too is a -.5 drop.  IMHO sometimes acceptance is easier on the wallet and more importantly the soul :)

It doesn't seem fiscally worth it even if you could see a jump from a 6.0 to say 7.0 (and I'm not even saying that that would be likely or even possible).  Per GPA, the 90 day average is about $300 difference and you would easily have that tied up in the pressing and grading costs.