• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimming or Miscut?
2 2

5 posts in this topic

All,

How do you confirm trimming?  I have this otherwise beautiful book, but the dimensions seem off.  If you look at the picture, you’ll notice that the left side of the book is shorter than the right by about 1/8” from top to bottom .  Less obvious, going across, it is 1/8 smaller at the top vs the bottom.  The picture is of the book on a white backboard over a green background.  Horizontally, the book is 6 3/4” at the top and 6 7/8” at the bottom.  Vertically , the book is 10 3/8” on the left and 10 1/4” on the right.  Doesn’t seem like much but it’s pretty obvious.

given the dimensions are off, I’m hoping it’s a miscut.  But I don’t know if this is a common/possible production problem.

If you made it this far, Thank you for reading.

IMG_7673.jpeg

IMG_7672.jpeg

IMG_7675.jpeg

Edited by tmac100
Fixed error in dimensions

It's not uncommon for books from this era to have varying dimensions---the manufacturing process back them was far from perfect. There are some simple things you can do to check for trimming, and while certainly not all-inclusive, a book with odd measurements can be one indicator that a book has been trimmed.

If you'd like to know more, I'd suggest picking up the new CGC grading guide, which does feature a good deal of useful information about trimming and the specific things to look for...