• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC STORES 2023: 'IT'S NEARLY 2024 AND I'M MORE THAN CONCERNED'
4 4

545 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2023 at 10:18 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Fun fact...the Surfer was officially licensed from Marvel for the use, but it had to be renewed multiple times. After failing to reach an agreement on (guess what) financial terms, in 2018 Satriani was forced to change the cover to something different going forward.

Interesting fact.

And right around the time Disney bought Fox. :whistle:

Satarini and Vai come from the town next to mine.  Some of my friends were tight with Satarini, but most of us weren't into his style of music.  We were in the Allman Brothers/Dead space, where he was into a bluesy hard rock style. It was kind of strange. Joe would fly worldwide and perform in front of huge crowds, then come back to Carle Place and open for cover bands. He'd jet to the West Coast for a guest recording spot and then come home to play on a Tuesday in front  of forty people 

Pepe Marchello, of the Good Rats wrote a song about local bands and included the line- "Speed ain't nothing without class," and Joe thought it was a shot at him.

It's a shame Twitter wasn't around as they went to war over it. Vai was in my younger sister's crowd, but I didn't know him except by reputation. 

Edited by shadroch

On 11/27/2023 at 11:00 AM, shadroch said:

Satarini and Vai come from the town next to mine.  Some of my friends were tight with Satarini, but most of us weren't into his style of music.  We were in the Allman Brothers/Dead space, where he was into a bluesy hard rock style. It was kind of strange. Joe would fly worldwide and perform in front of huge crowds, then come back to Carle Place and open for cover bands. He'd jet to the West Coast for a guest recording spot and then come home to play on a Tuesday in front  of forty people 

"A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house."

There's a lot of truth to this saying that Jesus said.

On 11/27/2023 at 11:00 AM, shadroch said:

Pepe Marchello, of the Good Rats wrote a song about local bands and included the line- "Speed ain't nothing without class," and Joe thought it was a shot at him.

It's a shame Twitter wasn't around as they went to war over it. Vai was in my younger sister's crowd, but I didn't know him except by reputation. 

In the late 90s, my college buddies and I saw Derek Trucks (He would play the Dwayne Allman role for the Allman Brothers over the final few decades of the band) open for Eric Johnson. We were big Allman Brothers / Trucks fans, but never heard of Eric Johnson.   

Derek was great,  but that night Eric Johnson stole the show. We had never seen anyone play guitar like that.  The next summer we went to see Eric Johnson play as part of G3 with Joe Satarini and Steve Vai.  

While the show was great, I gotta admit it was a little too much for me. It was like 5 hours of those guys playing at light speed.  I was happy I went and I firmly believe Eric Johnson is the greatest guitarist I've ever heard,  but I wouldn't go to another show (by contast I've seen Trucks either with the Allman brothers, solo or with Tedschi and Trucks 5 or 6 times since).  

Edited by KCOComics

On 11/27/2023 at 12:17 PM, Poekaymon said:

Even better would be just moving on, but guess we'll take what we can get.

You should try it sometime. lol

On 11/27/2023 at 12:35 PM, squidmo2000 said:

took me 35 years to find out that was a young Jennifer Connelly in the Always with Me,Always with You video meh

I did not know that Jennifer Connelly was in that video. Wow. I wanted to marry her so bad after Rocketman. She was my dream girl for a long time. 

On 11/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, KCOComics said:

While the show was great, I gotta admit it was a little too much for me. It was like 5 hours of those guys playing at light speed.  I was happy I went and I firmly believe Eric Johnson is the greatest guitarist I've ever heard,  but I wouldn't go to another show (by contast I've seen Trucks either with the Allman brothers, solo or with Tedschi and Trucks 5 or 6 times since).  

I can't listen to Yngwie anymore for the same reason. I loved his first 3 albums, partially because the 1st was so original, and then the 2nd and 3rd kind of built on that, but by the 3rd album I was done. 

The co-mingling of rock music and comic books has a long history.  I remember when Pink Floyd put Doctor Strange on the cover of Saucerful of Secrets in 1968, via copping a panel from Strange Tales.  Floyd referred to the good Doctor in song lyrics written the following year, then things came full circle when the 2016 Doctor Strange movie included the Floyd tune Interstellar Overdrive on the soundtrack.

image.thumb.png.76d5c03f249639b9d0be6a931ed199b6.png  image.png.0b61f52b43e71f682fa997da0f01d100.png

And, of course, in '75 Paul McCartney and Wings recorded Magneto and Titanium Man for the B side of their Venus and Mars/Rock Show single.

Edited by namisgr

On 11/27/2023 at 1:02 PM, VintageComics said:

You should try it sometime. lol

I did not know that Jennifer Connelly was in that video. Wow. I wanted to marry her so bad after Rocketman. She was my dream girl for a long time. 

I can't listen to Yngwie anymore for the same reason. I loved his first 3 albums, partially because the 1st was so original, and then the 2nd and 3rd kind of built on that, but by the 3rd album I was done. 

Yngwie I enjoyed in passing (if possible).   I couldn't really listen to a full album, but when I heard him I would be like "oh yeah,  that's cool" 

On 11/27/2023 at 1:12 PM, KCOComics said:

Yngwie I enjoyed in passing (if possible).   I couldn't really listen to a full album, but when I heard him I would be like "oh yeah,  that's cool" 

The 1st Yngwie album I consider really special, because it was truly groundbreaking. I consider it as groundbreaking as Eddie Van Halen was to all of rock, only Yngwie was groundbreaking to a much smaller niche of the rock genre. 

I was learning about Classical music in the early 80s and Randy Rhoads and Yngwie were a natural progression for me. Ritchie Blackmore, too. Those guys each in their own special ways fused Classical music with rock. 

If you listen closely to that 1st album, you hear a lot of special things that don't show up in music anymore. For example, you can hear the natural reverb of the room he recorded that album in. You can hear the Marshall stacks just blaring at volume in that room. You can catch the buzz of the amps. The natural echo of the drums. 

It was that combination of pure, clinical refinement that classical music had tempered with that raw, live, hard rock sound that really smote me. I fell in love with it. 

And of course, he covered all the classical, fantasy literature that so mingled well with comic book imagery. 

And I think that set me on a course for the rest of my life, loving the pure refinement of German auto engineering coupled with the raucous sensory impact of a racing Porsche and the refined art of Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson and Frank Miller coupled with the visceral impact their art gave. It just exploded in your face, but it was absolutely perfect at how it did that. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/27/2023 at 6:18 PM, squidmo2000 said:

well we all know Floyd is great...:cheers:

They're brilliant, of course still only in the shadow of the master....Joe Dolce.   (worship)