• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC STORES 2023: 'IT'S NEARLY 2024 AND I'M MORE THAN CONCERNED'
4 4

545 posts in this topic

Slight tangent; I know of many including myself who quit DC the day New 52 took over.

Sure it created a bump so Johns, Lee and Dideo were able to nicely pad their 2011 bonus' but as expected the increased sales were rather short lived. 

The few new readers/ customers who did stick around were dwarfed by those who walked away never to return...

On 11/13/2023 at 10:13 AM, Prince Namor said:

Personally I don't agree with a lot of what he says.

Has zero to do with wokeness. 

Correct. Thats now an ubiquitous catch-all designed to ensure culture wars thus preventing + burying class wars. The sheep on all sides of the fence fall for it every time.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, Prince Namor said:

Mostly has to do with art that I find completely out of touch with the sequential storytelling style I grew up reading - stories that are just regurgitated nonsense that's been repeated ad nauseam for decades - characters I don't recognize at all from the ones I grew up reading - and crossover material that is clearly just designed to try and get me to buy even more diluted crud.

Add to that the collector mentality of bagging and boarding each issue and carefully storing it as if it's some prized possession that's someday supposed to be worth something. 

It all just seems rather silly.

You’re roughly my age, a veteran comics reader, and understandably a bit jaded. Likewise for me. I can still find some interesting books, here and there, such as an Image or Kodansha digital bundle.

My physical cut-off point was at $2-99 cover : if you were buying a lot, that was high enough, IMO.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/14/2023 at 1:52 AM, Ken Aldred said:

You’re roughly my age, a veteran comics reader, and understandably a bit jaded. Likewise for me. I can still find some interesting books, here and there, such as an Image or Kodansha digital bundle.

My physical cut-off point was at $2-99 cover : if you were buying a lot, that was high enough, IMO.

Oh for sure... Image does some great stuff but I read manga more than anything. It's like a world of possibilities in those books and stories that Marvel and DC couldn't even begin to touch because of the dogma surrounding their highly valued Intellectual Properties. 

On 11/13/2023 at 12:43 PM, Prince Namor said:

Most of the comic book stores that are having problems now usually fall into one or more of these categories, that they could use to improve their business:

Cut down on the Heavy reliance on New Comics for business. Your Subscription business should be a huge part of your order.

Disinterested staff that alienates customers. A killer.

No website or minimal effort to produce one (It's cheaper and easier than ever before to have a web presence, there is almost no excuse for this other than laziness) It's the #1 way, people search for comic book stores. wtf?

No mail order business. (Use eBay, Amazon, your own site... everything you can to sell. Again, if they're not doing this, it's just lazy) Yikes...

LESS Modern back issues taking up space (and ridiculously over priced), more of an understanding of how to buy OLD comics and sell them. Blow those modern back issues out the door - use them for give aways - whatever you can. They SHOW the lack of value of moderns - don't keep them around for that. OLD comics are so much better of an investment in time and money. Yep.

A kid friendly section of the store with plenty of stock.

I would add cleanliness to the list or at least an attempt to vacuum/mop the floors once a month, perhaps dust some bookshelves and countertops now and then?

I personally dislike the millions of different covers, and have written about that before, but I can't get past the bad writing/agenda in this article here.  From the ad hominems "it should be obvious to anyone with more than two brain cells" to the sudden shift in blame on character swaps and sexual orientation.  I admit I don't follow much beyond Copper--can someone tell me what beloved characters have gone gay?  Did Superman finally get together with Jimmy Olsen?  As for toying with characters, as far as I know, Miles Morales is one of the most popular things to come out of comics in a while. I don't fault comics for trying some different things before just closing up shop--who is to say it wouldn't be even worse without these things that the article complains about.

Anyway, the declining popularity of new comics, along with the lament of the local comic store, is not shocking.  In fact, wasn't it inevitable?  Most print media has suffered the same.  Newspapers, magazines, local book sellers... all victim to fundamental shifts in the availability of entertainment.  Unlike when I was a kid, nowadays I rarely read anything in print aside for some nostalgia-based omnibuses.  I no longer subscribe to any magazines, never read a print newspaper, and hardly ever shop at brick and mortar stores.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

There have been many threads or posts over the years that cite cover price, gimmick covers, constant reboots, gratuitous crossovers, poor storytelling, etc. as as well as the fact that a comic might take under five minutes to read these days versus twenty minutes or more years ago. No one reason can be entirely dismissed as the reason comics seem to be in decline  (at least non-manga comics). 

Edited by PopKulture