• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC STORES 2023: 'IT'S NEARLY 2024 AND I'M MORE THAN CONCERNED'
4 4

545 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2023 at 7:27 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm not going to counter anything you said about me because you're entitled to your opinion, but I do want to touch on this:

There are MANY more people reading threads than replying in them, so how many people reply in a thread is not an indicator of who is interested or reading the thread. It's nothing more than an indicator of who is replying, and when detractors reply in an antagonistic manner, that prevents interested people from replying even more. 

I know because I've gotten messages from people in my DMs here, and even had people walk up to me at conventions specifically to encourage me to keep posting because they enjoy reading my points. 

If this means I'm having the last word, I'm genuinely not trying to. I just think this is a fatal mistake many people make.

Anyway, I'm genuinely sorry you feel the way you do. And I'll take the hit for not allowing that last post of yours from being the last word but I genuinely thought this was worth addressing. 

:foryou:

I used "5" figuratively to mean a small number.  I know for each person taking the time and effort to post, there are dozens who share the thought, but don't post.  And probably just as many on the opposite side.

I don't want to put you on ignore...or anyone.  Firstly, because I think you make some good points and offer some perspectives.  I don't agree with them sometimes, maybe a lot, but I do want to know what people are thinking about various subjects.  Secondly, I bet a thread makes little sense if you put a poster on ignore, choppy and hard to follow.

The big problem here is that on a forum, you can't "agree to disagree".  That works 1 on 1 (sometimes), but with so many voices, the topic can be beat to death from a hundred directions.  It can wear on you, even as an observer, if people can't just "let it go". 

On 12/4/2023 at 8:47 AM, VintageComics said:

Not every choice can be correct. You basically called me a conspiracy theorist.

If someone has the belief that they have to accept everything thrown at them, then that's not a winner's attitude and if it's not a winner's attitude, what is it?

I'm not cut from that cloth. 

-------------------------------

You brought in Aristotle so I'll bring in some Ancient history. 

One of my favorite inspirational phrases is attributed to Hannibal the Carthaginian General, who uttered the phrase when he was told it was impossible to cross the Alps by elephant. 

The Latin phrase "Inveniam viam aut faciam" translates into "I shall find a way or make one"

From Wiki:

Hannibal's crossing of the Alps in 218 BC was one of the major events of the Second Punic War, and one of the most celebrated achievements of any military force in ancient warfare.

1280px-hannibal_traverse_le_rhone_henri_motte_1878-741x485.jpg.80196046180d3da0689995c25722f1e1.jpg

You ARE a conspiracy theorist. 

On 12/4/2023 at 9:31 AM, VintageComics said:

You told me to stop posting because you're tired of it. If that's not asking someone to change what you can't accept, what is? lol

I'm here for polite conversation about things I find interesting. 

If you don't find the conversation interesting, then stop responding and put people on ignore rather than demanding people conform to you. 

It's far from polite. It's brow-beating. 

On 12/3/2023 at 8:10 PM, Lightning55 said:

I used "5" figuratively to mean a small number.  I know for each person taking the time and effort to post, there are dozens who share the thought, but don't post.  And probably just as many on the opposite side.

I don't want to put you on ignore...or anyone.  Firstly, because I think you make some good points and offer some perspectives.  I don't agree with them sometimes, maybe a lot, but I do want to know what people are thinking about various subjects.  Secondly, I bet a thread makes little sense if you put a poster on ignore, choppy and hard to follow.

The big problem here is that on a forum, you can't "agree to disagree".  That works 1 on 1 (sometimes), but with so many voices, the topic can be beat to death from a hundred directions.  It can wear on you, even as an observer, if people can't just "let it go". 

I've had some really voluminous posters on ignore for years, so I'm aware of how it looks. Most people have no idea who I'm ignoring, which is how it should be.

I genuinely appreciate you saying what you did. Thank you. I appreciate opposing points of view as well, as long as they're respectful. 

And we absolutely can agree to disagree.

The only reason this conversation was still going was because you called me a slur in an effort to shut the conversation down. That's not agreeing to disagree. That's hitting below the belt. 

To agree to disagree means you just say "agree to disagree" and then leave the discussion without the color commentary. 

See how different those two replies are and how different their outcomes can be?

Edited by VintageComics

• Administrator

Typically, I don't have to do much moderation these days.  This gives me time to do my other duties.  This weekend I have read more negative/OT/rude/other unwanted posts than I usually do in a month.  This thread is locked.  If there is a next time, I will use the point system generously.  This is a comic forum.  Going forward, I expect to see more comic related posts.  

I do not want any PM's regarding this.  If they are sent, they will not be answered.  Very disappointed...