• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Misprint question
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I got this as a kid and got it on purpose, after seeing the value of misprints on comics and cards, notably the Billy Ripken baseball one 😂 

but I got this Superman 78…. Just like every other person during that era… the di cut blue reign of right after the rebirth of Superman,

but the s logo is missing

is this rare and worth anything

seeing that I can’t Google anything quickly, it makes me think so

anyone with any info?

I’ve attached a it’s pic 

i got it off the shelf at the drug store, at eleven years old exactly this way and had no signs of any tampering or even having the cover been opened

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

Contrary to what you are saying, the emblem appears to have been cut out. The book shown is the "Die Cut Cover Collectors Edition" there were also direct and newsstand editions with a different cover and a signed edition of the book shown limited to 10,000 copies. There are no other variants of this book. FMV for this book is about $2.00.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=Superman+78

This may be a manufacturing error, but it's not a misprint.

Missing and/or extra wraps are not that unusual, though they certainly aren't common.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:33 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Contrary to what you are saying, the emblem appears to have been cut out.

No, the interior cover is missing.

It def isn’t cut out

It was bought on release date and shows no sign of any purposeful damage.

Being a manufacturing error

and clearly a rare one, that wouldn’t be anything to up the value, instead it would be like a page out of alignment?  I figured with it being such a noticeable error maybe it would be seen as a rarity rather than a blunder, but I understand both sides.  Just wanted to see if there was any info or other occurrences of this

It seems surprising that it slipped thru quality control, but I assure you it was not anything intentionally done to it.   There would be some sign of tampering, correct?

i assume what you’re saying is just treat it as if it’s a page aligned wrong rather than anything sought after increasing value

I could be wrong, but I think these issues were published with an exterior die cut cover and an interior cover that would have a picture of the character, with just the logo showing through.  In this case, the interior cover is missing.

While the copy you have is a production error, somebody could create an identical version just by removing the inner cover of another copy, so there wouldn't be any value in the error.

An error is generally a run of books that has something erroneous on it, like wrong price. Publishers can ask for these back for a refund, etc.

A manufacturing error is - at best - what this would be. If it's not purposefully missing the front cover, it simply didn't get inserted in the bindery department when the book was being assembled (by a machine). This can happen frequently on print runs, and is usually caught by the guy sorting/stacking/packing the books - but it probably got missed. Manufacturer errors are just books that didn't get thrown away during production.

Is it rare? I think of manufacture error books like this: If you find a candy wrapper on the ground near a trash can, it doesn't make it rare - it just means it didn't get thrown in the trash bin.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:55 AM, lostboys said:

Well, if someone tried to duplicate this "error" and sent it in to CGC...it would get a purple label...no?

No.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:55 AM, lostboys said:

While OPs copy should get a blue label and notation...no?

No.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:44 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Surely, interior cover missing, for whatever reason, would get a 0.5 'incomplete' grade.

Sure, if it wasn't Qualified, which it almost certainly would be.

On 11/13/2023 at 6:35 PM, OtherEric said:

While the copy you have is a production error, somebody could create an identical version just by removing the inner cover of another copy, so there wouldn't be any value in the error.

Exactly. A carefully removed inner cover would be undetectable.