• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wait, Monica Rambeau OA won't be worth millions?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

I saw ZERO marketing for this film outside of Facebook. Not one billboard. Not one bus shelter poster. I watched this on Friday opening weekend and there was no standee or poster in the movie theater. In fact, I saw ZERO merch at Target—no clothing, posters, toys aimed at toddlers. Nada. Zero marketing for this movie as if Marvel/Disney didn’t even have faith in their own production and tried to cut their losses. Sure I have notes for this movie, but had there been a marketing blitz people would’ve shown up and had a good time and it would done well for at least two weekends before the holiday prestige films come out.  

Marvels' problem is that all the pre-Endgame films were interconnected and built to something. The films after that seem disjointed and incoherent. So people don't know how this film connects to anything else. Marvel didn't make films that just stood on their own, so the audience isn't looking for that.

My proposal to Kevin Feige would be to create a "Marvel Team Up" series of films, which are self-contained stories involving two characters from the MCU who don't usually work together, or who had very little interaction. You could, theoretically, tentpole it with Spider-Man, but it could just as easily be Captain Marvel. You could even do it as a crossover with other franchises.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 11/17/2023 at 4:04 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Marvel didn't make films that just stood on their own, so the audience isn't looking for that.

The difference is that previously, the films tied to other films, and there weren't that many films, so it wasn't too hard to keep track.  Now, the films also tie to TV shows, which makes it really confusing for people like me who haven't seen them and have no plans to see them.

For example, the last Dr. Strange movie with Scarlet Witch, where I was completely baffled by her character and therefore the entire plot because I hadn't watched "Wanda Vision".  I spent most of the movie asking "When the hell did Scarlet Witch become the most powerful sorceress in the world?!"

Similarly, I've been put off from watching "Marvels" because I've been told it ties into some of the TV shows and I'll therefore be similarly baffled if I watch it without watching the shows, which I have no plans to do. 

Edited by tth2

On 11/17/2023 at 3:23 AM, tth2 said:

The difference is that previously, the films tied to other films, and there weren't that many films, so it wasn't too hard to keep track.  Now, the films also tie to TV shows, which makes it really confusing for people like me who haven't seen them and have no plans to see them.

For example, the last Dr. Strange movie with Scarlet Witch, where I was completely baffled by her character and therefore the entire plot because I hadn't watched "Wanda Vision".  I spent most of the movie asking "When the hell did Scarlet Witch become the most powerful sorceress in the world?!"

Similarly, I've been put off from watching "Marvels" because I've been told it ties into some of the TV shows and I'll therefore be similarly baffled if I watch it without watching the shows, which I have no plans to do. 

I went to see the Marvels and discovered I couldn't understand many things about the background of the story. IMHO Marvel should come back to do tied movies and not make their movies as if they were enhanced "special" TV episodes.

On 11/16/2023 at 9:23 PM, tth2 said:

This

On 11/15/2023 at 10:43 PM, redrighthand said:

I know 13.5 people (including myself - mostly comic store employees, former comic store employees, or comic industry adjacent) who did go and see Ms. Marvel and every damn one of them (and I say .5 because one is a child and who cares what they think, they're spending power is weak) raved about it. The fun was back. And it was. It's a great movie, it's not a template for how to other characters, but this worked perfectly for these three and it made me genuinely excited to see what's next (which I haven't been for a while).

Everyone who has something negative to say about this movie all seem to have the same thing in common. They didn't see it.

I can understand why they don't see it - the track record isn't what it once was.

I went because Ms. Marvel is a great character and Imani Vellani is fantastic in the role (and gods forbid a teen character not be a sex symbol - really?). I'd love to see more...sadly, I expect I won't. 

But some people are just stuck in the Bronze age in their thinking about female super heroes.

Honestly, people need to stop treating movies like personal attacks. It's just a movie. It's not going to change your life. 

I didn't see it nor will I.  As the old saying goes "Fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on me."

On 11/15/2023 at 7:52 PM, KirbyCollector said:

The last decent comic book movie with a female lead was the first Wonder Woman. Why was it good? A) It featured male characters doing a lot of the fighting with her, not just serving as props to make her look stronger. B) Wonder Woman was a real woman in the film (fell in love, had sex), not a goofy asexual symbol like Ms. Marvel. But I guess I don't know as much as the $20M/yr head of Marvel Studios, which is why he made both Ms. Marvel films the way he did.

The Marvels is actually a good movie. It's at least as fun as Wonder Woman was. I just think its not tied into any MCU continuity that people are interested in, and just assumed it was something you had to have watched Wandavision, or Ms Marvel to understand.

On 11/28/2023 at 1:08 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

The Marvels is actually a good movie. It's at least as fun as Wonder Woman was. I just think its not tied into any MCU continuity that people are interested in, and just assumed it was something you had to have watched Wandavision, or Ms Marvel to understand.

I watched it and I thought it was fun. I hadn't seen Wandavision or Ms. Marvel and I still understood the movie.

To paraphrase Bowfinger, it's a movie and not a film!

Malvin

On 11/15/2023 at 10:57 PM, John E. said:

I saw ZERO marketing for this film outside of Facebook. Not one billboard. Not one bus shelter poster. I watched this on Friday opening weekend and there was no standee or poster in the movie theater. In fact, I saw ZERO merch at Target—no clothing, posters, toys aimed at toddlers. Nada. Zero marketing for this movie as if Marvel/Disney didn’t even have faith in their own production and tried to cut their losses. Sure I have notes for this movie, but had there been a marketing blitz people would’ve shown up and had a good time and it would done well for at least two weekends before the holiday prestige films come out.  

My approach to Marvel movies these days is "i'll catch it on streaming" so i'm not 100% sure, but was this one delayed? I saw quite a bit of marketing for it months ago (happy meal tie-ins in July, for example), but it was all gone (or on the way out) by the time the film actually released.

It reminded me of the WW1984 push, where there was a huge gap between the (little) marketing and the film with a lot of dead space in between.