• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Transaction as a Comic Book Collector
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Ok….So I was on FB Marketplace and someone was selling a 1966 Giant Sized Spider-Man and Punisher Comic. They wanted $60.00……Then I looked up the value. I thought to myself I could learn this. I’m already an avid card collector so I have some knowledge in the area. Obviously I will want to have it graded because of protection and 💰 

So my question is…Is this the right place for grading comics? And did I make the right choice paying $60 for that comic? The condition is near mint.

I just signed up for this place tonight, but didn’t buy the membership yet. Any info will help, thanks everyone.

Welcome to the boards.  

We would need better information about your book. It isn't from 1966.

The Punisher didn't exist until the 1970s.  There is a Giant-Sized Spiderman that has the Punisher, but it's from around 1974/75.  If that is the book, it could be worth $60 if it is in nice shape. Getting it graded will cost you another $60 and may not be worth it.

Show us the book.

Edited by shadroch

On 11/14/2023 at 8:56 PM, shadroch said:

Welcome to the boards.  

We would need better information about your book. It isn't from 1966.

The Punisher didn't exist until the 1970s.  There is a Giant-Sized Spiderman that has the Punisher, but it's from around 1974/75.  If that is the book, it could be worth $60 if it is in ice shape. Getting it graded will cost you another $60 and may not be worth it.

Show us the book.

While I was typing my reply, shadrock beat me to the punch.

If you bought Giant-Size Spider-man #4, it was dated 1975.  There's a picture of it here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256173779555?hash=item3ba525aa63:g:HgkAAOSwKfFk0YBB&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8O2fJEANj%2BPSaLLOalvmfE%2FeWiqdlmad4uyM5hGkg2hAxtpR0EXR1vTcGQPmGBPo2yZ6%2FvYkYWcvS9caNeNp%2FvyxCmryb7TKrGM4NO4EdDZMA6%2FNdvLp1YrxbDXfBK9u4rfIZ%2BRA6DDk4FPurVDT9sYEvKbx7JsTdKLnuSa130wCHknDInEDsrC4a5tpA014MQDP1NQIk%2FfIfZfk5RWbJ6%2FC8Na49fasw%2FO34N5stkgDaXFlUA%2FXuQiu6%2FJADIc02qfsOyP%2B%2F%2B0Ncq7tWRKVyDo%2FUuk989n3T1dl3vbWFrH9%2BwHGNsDDi1XxXjCyc9hJhg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMjtaDi_pi

A truly near mint copy, unrestored copy of that comic would be a good buy for $60.  However, truly near mint copies don't show up all that often.  It's also common for somebody less experienced with comics to think something is "near mint", when an experienced collector might call the item only "very good" or "fine".  Clear photos of the front and back covers would help determine if actually might be near mint; an experienced collector with the comic in hand would be able to determine if it has had any restoration.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:40 PM, Oxdaddy said:

Ok….So I was on FB Marketplace and someone was selling a 1966 Giant Sized Spider-Man and Punisher Comic. They wanted $60.00……Then I looked up the value. I thought to myself I could learn this. I’m already an avid card collector so I have some knowledge in the area. Obviously I will want to have it graded because of protection and 💰 

So my question is…Is this the right place for grading comics? And did I make the right choice paying $60 for that comic? The condition is near mint.

I just signed up for this place tonight, but didn’t buy the membership yet. Any info will help, thanks everyone.

If you want to learn comics, learn to use Mycomicshop.com as one of your reference tools for comparison shopping.  Here is a link to multiple copies at different grades and price points.  I think there are images available for each copy.  Consider also that buying a $60 raw copy is approximately equal to a buying a $120 graded copy (since you were planning to get it graded anyway).  Also consider that these are the books that have not sold yet at the current asking price:

Giant size spider-man comic books issue 4 (mycomicshop.com)

Edited by Nick Furious

On 11/14/2023 at 8:40 PM, Oxdaddy said:

Is this the right place for grading comics? 

Your post indicates that you want to grade comics to protect them and to increase their value.  This is the correct place for that.

There are several companies that grade comics. Of the three best known companies, one is not taken seriously by 90% of collectors, one is taken seriously but doesn't have as much market acceptance, and then there's CGC.  CGC is the heavy hitter in the industry.  I say that because comics graded by CGC typically sell for more than comics graded by other grading companies.  Also, if you look at the biggest comic auction house (Heritage) and the biggest comics they auction (the comics that sell in the hundreds of thousands or millions, like the first Superman or Batman comics), you'll find comics graded by CGC, not by one of those other companies.   

If your comic is Giant-Size Spider-man #4, here are some recent sales.  Prices have been dropping a lot, so these "recent sale" prices are significantly lower than prices from a year ago.

A copy graded Near Mint 9.4 sold for $204 this month.

A copy graded VF/NM 9.0 sold for $128 in September.

If you're hoping to sell this book at a profit after grading, here's the math.  Grading without "Fast Track" would cost you about $70 (grading is $25, plus estimated shipping at $20 each way to/from Sarasota, and there's a $5 invoice fee).  If you wanted to sink even more into the book, you could pay to have it pressed.  Pressing could remove some defects and increase the grade of the book. However, it could also cause additional damage and devalue the book, so pressing isn't a panacea.  Assuming no pressing, you'd be into the book for about $130.  That means if your grade was a 9.0, you'd probably lose money on a sale.  If it was graded 9.4, you might make a little bit after whatever fees you incur from the sale (e.g. eBay fees, PayPal fees, etc.).  If somehow you got a higher grade than 9.4, you could double your money or more.  

As with many things, the more you put into it the more you can get out.  Grading could make you money or lose you money, and the more you learn about grading the better you'll be able to determine if grading is a winning or losing proposition financially.  Pressing the book could make you money or lose you money.  The more you learn about pressing and "pressable defects" the better you'll be able to determine if it will make or lose you money.

I apologize….I bought two comics from the guy. The giant Spider-Man was one of them. The other was Fantastic Four #4 from 1966…..that is the one I wanted to ask about. I put a picture below. Bought them both for $120. 

IMG_6611.jpeg

As long as the FF 46 isn't restored/incomplete and the ASM is at least fine; $120 together isn't that bad in raw.

FF46 in 4.0-5.0 is around $150ish graded (there looks to be one 4.5 outlier @ $99)

TBH; the best way to learn is probably to make bad deals on sub $100 books until you really understand what you are buying/selling and the potential market. You may have knowledge in the area but not the intuitive experience needed; comics is rarely a profit quick environment.

Good luck tracking down sales of worthwhile books. The two you've mentioned are on many people's wants list so you're off to a good start.

Edit: Just to add that prices have hardened on lower grade books in recent years as folk realise they can no longer afford top end grades in many cases (silver and bronze mainly,) so the battleground for finding affordable books has moved to the lower end of the grade scale. Bargains can still be had with luck and a good eye! 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

I appreciate the feedback….Doug I have no idea what half the mess you said meant. Haha. 

The kid I bought them off of also has these 3.  He messaged me after I bought the other 2 and said “Hey I have these also if you want to grab them”. I’m not sure what trusted site you guys use for looking up the value but I went to eBay and looked at sales it appears these 3 are also quite good. None of them have been pressed ( just learned last night what that it ) he’s just had them at home forever. The whole grading thing is maybe more confusing than I originally thought. But I wouldn’t even consider grading them if anything is wrong what so ever. With cards, if it’s not perfect then I don’t send it because a raw card is worth more than a card that gets a 9. These appear to be in great condition. The spine, cover, and back are perfect. Inside pages look great and I don’t see any bends, or page corners bent. 

When I looked up value on FF#46 an 8.0 grade sold for over 400 recently. Is it that crazy to think mine could be in the 9 range? I don’t know. If there’s one thing I’m confident about it’s checking the condition because that’s one thing that can’t be much different from cards. Except with cards, sometimes your print could be off center which guarantees a lower grade. 

Let me know if I should scoop up these other 3 below. He wants another $120 for all 3.

IMG_6612.jpeg

IMG_6614.jpeg

IMG_6613.jpeg

Hi and welcome. I'll add to the advice you got above and say that you should go over to the 'hey buddy can you spare a grade?" forum on these boards and look at some examples. Better still - post a clear front and back picture (not in the bag, and a scan would be even better) of your FF book and see what the boards graders think of it. I think it will be nowhere near 8.0/9.0 unless your picture here is somehow making it look much worse than it is. Some time spent learning about comic grading will save you money and heartache in the future. 2c

On 11/15/2023 at 5:05 AM, Oxdaddy said:

When I looked up value on FF#46 an 8.0 grade sold for over 400 recently. Is it that crazy to think mine could be in the 9 range? I don’t know. If there’s one thing I’m confident about it’s checking the condition because that’s one thing that can’t be much different from cards. Except with cards, sometimes your print could be off center which guarantees a lower grade. 

I am sorry to say your copy is nowhere near 8.0. It takes years of experience (or a heavy devotion to learning) to become a good grader. I would post clear images of the front and back in the grading forums here in the chat boards. People there are generally correct in their assessments.

Your copy appears to be discoloured (tanned) along the bottom edge. Top left corner appears blunted (ie rounded and not sharp). There also appears to be some corner creases bottom right and the pages of the book stick out at an odd angle, which could be evidence of a spine roll. All of these plus what is unable to be seen on the back suggest this book is likely more in the 5.0-6.0 range.

Also, at $120, that is not a terrible deal. If the goal though is to pay more money to grade and hopefully come out ahead to where you can make a profit, I just worry that your inexperience with grading and CGC will cause you to lose money rather than gain. Which is why I would only suggest going down that road if truly desired (or if you just like the books and want to protect them).

Just for better visual reference, the large circle is highlighting the discolouring or tanning that seems present. The smaller circle is showcasing where it appears there are creases (again pics take with the comic in the bag are hard to determine)

image.thumb.png.d230ed2d14376743276e8df4d5c42f17.png

Compare yours to the actual bottom edge of a copy that is CGC 8.0

image.png.81c2a550f3d1f9be1aa37aa4ad8ef684.png

On higher grade copies in the 8's and 9.0+, these areas will be much more whiter

You also want to get up close and personal with the spine. And white tick marks down it or dings or anything like that will hinder the grade.

Edited by comicginger1789

If you are getting into the comic hobby, I'd say compare those other three books the guy wants to sell to Ebay 'Sold Listings' where you can see how they fared on auctions. They are not big key books, so what you see as sold prices on Ebay will probably be legitimate prices. You should compare those sales to what he's asking. Sellers hate to hear "well on EBAY they sell for..." so I'd just keep that to yourself. If those books prices out at fair market value for $80 and he's asking $120 - you can always say "I can do $80 for those three." And leave it at that. If he takes it, you know you got a square deal. You want to minimize the overpaying you do while learning in your new hobby.

There is a learning curve to buying comics and grading - we've all paid it. You'll pay $50 for a book that might only be worth $30 realistically - it happens. You will have to buy and touch a lot of books before you really get a handle on what you should and shouldn't buy, especially if you're trying to build value for your collection.

On 11/15/2023 at 10:41 AM, Dr. Balls said:

If you are getting into the comic hobby, I'd say compare those other three books the guy wants to sell to Ebay 'Sold Listings' where you can see how they fared on auctions. They are not big key books, so what you see as sold prices on Ebay will probably be legitimate prices. You should compare those sales to what he's asking. Sellers hate to hear "well on EBAY they sell for..." so I'd just keep that to yourself. If those books prices out at fair market value for $80 and he's asking $120 - you can always say "I can do $80 for those three." And leave it at that. If he takes it, you know you got a square deal. You want to minimize the overpaying you do while learning in your new hobby.

There is a learning curve to buying comics and grading - we've all paid it. You'll pay $50 for a book that might only be worth $30 realistically - it happens. You will have to buy and touch a lot of books before you really get a handle on what you should and shouldn't buy, especially if you're trying to build value for your collection.

This is the truth. No collector/dealer/whatever you consider yourself in the hobby is batting 1000. You will buy lots of books where you overpay, lots where you underpay and some where you pay right where it is valued at. Ideally over time you have less of the first and majority of the latter two.

others have mentioned, but there's really a lot of math and experience that determines into what is FINANCIALLY worth grading (if you have other motivations as many of us do, that's fine too) by CGC.

if a book sells for $100 raw, but $200 graded in the same grade, and the grading fee is $40, it might feel like a no brainer to get $60 of "FREE" profit.

But then you look at shipping+insurance to get the book to CGC, the $5 invoice fee, the shipping+insurance back, and the risk that the grade isn't what you expect (although i guess it could be higher?), plus the additional selling fees and taxes on something that sells for more, plus your time of packaging the book, shipping time there, time for grading, shipping time back, opportunity cost of holding your money, the risk of market changing (though I guess it could improve)?  Of course some of these costs can be mitigated with volume.

The equation of what is 'worth it' is different for everyone, depends on you, your situation, or collection/financial goals, your time, your space, how much effort you want to put in, how risk averse you are, what profit margins you prefer, your understanding of business, how good at grading you are, etc.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:11 PM, Comics4All said:
On 11/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, Point Five said:

Your first comic transaction and you've only lost $120, that's great! You're already ahead of most of the rest of us.  :applause:

@Point Five Very true!

@ADAMANTIUM calls losing $100 in collecting comics a pretty good Tuesday! lol

What are you? A person from the future 😜

Read on if you dare 🤣 syntax and sentences.

I just traded something like 26 invincible slabs, 2X8.5's, 4X9.0's and the rest between 9.2/9.6!

That the LCS owner said himself was, "about $800 value?" For their 3 slabs priced at $250, $85&$80, even if they had charged me tax? It would have only equaled $449 that I got worth of stuff!

The cost of the slabs for me was $562, but I threw in the $15 cgc box I brought the slabs in with doh! so call it $575! Loss $125

I didn't bring in the three to four I have left, which were the 9.8 or NM variants that I'll make that $125 loss back and make $150 profit, but pretty spot on @Comics4All

Ps. I have no idea what this thread is about 😂😆

Edited by ADAMANTIUM