• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Silver Age #6 and up.
7 7

370 posts in this topic

:bump:

Last bump for this thread. I'll close this up sometime this evening.

Still one poor, lonely, raw book left, and a few nice slabs.  Invoices next week.

Page #7------------------------------------------------

F.F. #41 - CGC 9.0 - $200.00 

F.F. #44 - CGC 9.0 - $240.00

Page #10------------------------------------------------

F.F. #58 - CGC 9.0 - $290.00  $270.00

F.F. #59 - $45.00 $35.00   $30.00 SOLD

Edited by DR.X

Thank you for sharing your well-loved FFs with us! They’ll be read again and enjoyed many times over in their new homes, I’m sure. just curious if any of those book-length vertical creases on some of the books are subscription creases?  

On 1/25/2024 at 8:23 PM, DR.X said:

Fantastic Four #59 - 5.5

BP = $45.00

This copy has some wear down the spine, and some tears at the staples.  Edge wear and handling marks and was well read.

C.F. is well attached and really nice inside pages. No cutouts or missing panels.

ff 59 1.jpg

ff 59 2.jpg

ff 59 3.jpg

ff 59 4.jpg

ff 59 5.jpg

Take at $30, thanks!

On 1/27/2024 at 8:32 AM, TheComicsPreacher said:

Thank you for sharing your well-loved FFs with us! They’ll be read again and enjoyed many times over in their new homes, I’m sure. just curious if any of those book-length vertical creases on some of the books are subscription creases?  

I would assume so, but who knows. I personally never had any subsriptions to books, as we had local drug stores, and one newspaper store that had spinner racks.

I've told this story before, but I was buying comics off the shelves back in the mid 60's. I had a pretty good stack as books were for the most part ten/twelve cents. Would buy and swap with kids in the neighborhood all the time.

Came home from school one day and my books were all gone, and my baseball cards. My mother gave them all to a neighbors grand son, because she said, she didn't want all that junk in our bed rooms.

When I got in my late teens, early twenties, I started all over again. She probably gave away a small fortune.

Edited by DR.X

On 1/27/2024 at 6:49 AM, DR.X said:

I would assume so, but who knows. I personally never had any subsriptions to books, as we had local drug stores, and one newspaper store that had spinner racks.

I've told this story before, but I was buying comics off the shelves back in the mid 60's. I had a pretty good stack as books were for the most part ten/twelve cents. Would buy and swap with kids in the neighborhood all the time.

Came home from school one day and my books were all gone, and my baseball cards. My mother gave them all to a neighbors grand son, because she said, she didn't want all that junk in our bed rooms.

When I got in my late teens, early twenties, I started all over again. She probably gave away a small fortune.

Mamma Mia! That’s what family’s for? Eeeeeeek!

Love the backstory and I’m now getting Deja vu, so I think you have told me that story before. 

Anyways, thanks again - these are all great readers. And for this guy, there is absolutely no better way to enjoy comics than to sit down with an early raw FF and just watch the magic that was Stan and Jack unfold before your eyes.

One of my priorities was the Kirby monster books. I had a ton of them. I was hooked on the covers. Of course F.F.'s were always on the nightstand too. I had a ton of war books also. G.I. Combat, Our Army at War, etc. Loved the D.C. books also, Strange Adventures, Tales of the Unexpected, etc. Probably all ended up in a landfill or the garbage.

The cute little neighbors grandson ended up being a druggie, and in trouble all the time. Hope he enjoyed my books. :whatthe:

Edited by DR.X

Kirby monsters get a verrrrrrrrrrry close 2nd place behind early FF in my book too. And don’t forget those ubiquitous screaming faces at stage bottom-right and stage bottom-left! And I am now trying to imagine what it would be like to try to read a Kirby monster book on Hallucinogenics as your neighbor…

On 1/27/2024 at 6:32 AM, TheComicsPreacher said:

I think subscription mailing changed quite a bit from the days of these early books to later.  I had subscriptions (unfortunately) to a number of Marvel titles in the mid-70s and normally the only real "damage" is at the top and bottom of the books in the middle where they were folded and which were vulnerable to rubbing inside the paper sleeves in which they were mailed.  There's no sharp color-breaking crease on any of my books.  Here's an example.

ASM - 144 - 1.jpg

On 1/27/2024 at 9:34 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I think subscription mailing changed quite a bit from the days of these early books to later.  I had subscriptions (unfortunately) to a number of Marvel titles in the mid-70s and normally the only real "damage" is at the top and bottom of the books in the middle where they were folded and which were vulnerable to rubbing inside the paper sleeves in which they were mailed.  There's no sharp color-breaking crease on any of my books.  Here's an example.

ASM - 144 - 1.jpg

Interesting! Did not know any of that. I always thought they were book length. Your description makes more sense. I also wonder what @etanick thinks - if he’s still checking the boards? Different eras with different subscription creases maybe? He used to have some KNOWLEDGE on that particular topic from what I remember…I always want OO copies so I’d be curious to know…

Thread is Closed for now. Thanks for the purchases and the fun. Next round coming up in the future so stay tuned, as the purge continues.

Invoices next week.

street glide resized (3).jpg

Edited by DR.X

On 2/19/2024 at 8:57 AM, DR.X said:

Here's an update on this thread. I'm just about finished processing the next round, that will feature #61 - #100.

I will probably split the thread into two evenings. There will be roughly 18 new slabs (9.0-9.4), and three left overs slabs from the last round, and maybe a discount on those.

Launch date within the next few weeks I hope. :wishluck:

F.F. 74 CGC.jpg

Can't wait! I hope I didn't use up all my luck hitting refresh at just the right moment to snag your copy of 49.  Did you end up listing the 48 and 52 in the last group? If not, are they coming in this one?

On 2/19/2024 at 9:46 AM, Corvonie said:

Did you end up listing the 48 and 52 in the last group? If not, are they coming in this one?

No, those are not for sale right now. They are tucked away with about 20 other nice Silver Age books that I "was" going to send to CGC.

No way with all the krap going on there right now.

Edited by DR.X

On 1/25/2024 at 8:23 PM, DR.X said:

Fantastic Four #59 - 5.5 SOLD TO CORVONIE

BP = $45.00

This copy has some wear down the spine, and some tears at the staples.  Edge wear and handling marks and was well read.

C.F. is well attached and really nice inside pages. No cutouts or missing panels.

ff 59 1.jpg

ff 59 2.jpg

ff 59 3.jpg

ff 59 4.jpg

ff 59 5.jpg

I love in #57 where Doom sends Surfer an invite to his castle and Surfer is like "OOH A PARTY!" like he's Bugs Bunny going for a ride with Mugsy.  What a maroon

On 2/19/2024 at 10:48 AM, DR.X said:

No, those are not for sale right now. They are tucked away with about 20 other nice Silver Age books that I "was" going to send to CGC.

No way with all the krap going on there right now.

Amen to that.  I had the biggest book I've ever owned with them just come back (the Hulk 181 I listed here), and was like "if that thing is stuck in QC purgatory for more than a day, I'm gonna start asking for proof of life daily"

Here's an update on this thread. I'm just about finished processing the next round, that will feature #61 - #100.

I'm looking at Tuesday 3/5 in the evening, around 6 to get started back up. I will probably split the thread into two evenings, doing about 20 books each night. Go get some money lined up. :banana:

There will be roughly 18 new slabs (9.0-9.4), and three left overs slabs from the last round, and maybe a discount on those.   :wishluck:

On 3/1/2024 at 11:32 AM, DR.X said:

I'm looking at Tuesday 3/5 in the evening, around 6 to get started back up. I will probably split the thread into two evenings, doing about 20 books each night. Go get some money lined up. :banana:

There will be roughly 18 new slabs (9.0-9.4), and three left overs slabs from the last round, and maybe a discount on those.   :wishluck:

:ohnoez: