• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

…FOUND!...Weird Mystery Tales #3
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So after the help that you provided finding “Crazy”, my friend Scott said he had one more story that he was trying to find.

Again, I hope the boards can help. I did not read this as a kid, but apparently Scott did. The story goes like this.

Robbers rob a bank or store and then make their getaway. While hiding out one them goes to have his fortune read by an old fortune teller who reads his fortune.

He asks her what it says, and she says that she can’t tell him, but she will write it down on this piece of paper and gives it to him.

At that moment the other robbers come in and say the cops are coming, and they takeoff and crash. 

In the final panel, there is a close-up on the piece of paper, which says “you poor man you have no future”.

Again, it could be golden Age, reprint, or something in the silver age. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul 

Edited by picon3
Help finding another story; Found

On 11/17/2023 at 7:00 AM, picon3 said:

So a friend of mine, and I were discussing stories that we remembered from our childhood. And he talked about a story where the main character hit a guy who was walking along the street and he didn’t stop. He drove into a town, and everyone was staring at him with horrified looks. it turned out that the body was stuck in the grill of the truck.  
I could have sworn that I read the same story, and I was thinking Black Magic.  I bought all of the omnibuses for that book and it was not in there. Can anyone help?
I’ve had great luck finding two other stories when posting, so I am hoping for the trifecta here.

Many thanks,

Paul

I remember reading a story similar to that, and it could be the same one.  I believe it was in an Atlas horror title, if that helps to narrow it down.

On 11/17/2023 at 6:37 PM, Jayman said:

One of my favorite stories. From Uncanny Tales #3. Crazy!

Uncanny Tales 3 Crazy1.jpeg

Uncanny Tales 3 Crazy2.jpeg

Uncanny Tales 3 Crazy3.jpeg

That was reprinted in Where Monsters Dwell #34 too back in 1974. 

Sadly it’s a theme that’s been well used in movies too because it’s actually something that has happened in real life.

Thanks to everyone that responded. That is indeed the story. Did not know about the reprint in Where Monsters Dwell #34.

clearly, the story had an impact on my friend, Scott, and I, as we remembered the story independently of each other from when we were kids.

Just a classic!

Thanks to everyone.

Paul 

Hello All,

So I tracked down a copy of Monsters on Dwell #34 and showed it to Scott this past weekend.  He freaked out because he hadn't seen that story in 40+ years.  Want to thank everyone who responded; especially to NERV who commented that it was reprinted in MoD #34.

Thanks again,

Paul~

image_67236865.JPG

image_67232257.JPG

image_67228417.JPG

image_67536897.JPG

On 11/18/2023 at 12:06 AM, N e r V said:

That was reprinted in Where Monsters Dwell #34 too back in 1974. 

Thank you!  I remember reading that story years ago but I do not have the original Uncanny Tales # 3. I do have the "Where Monsters Dwell" run, and that must be where I read that.

All,

Posted this in the Bronze Age Section as well.

Got a suggestion that it was in Twilight Zone or possibly Boris Karloff.  I did some sleuthing on my own and found the story. 

It is "I Know Your Future!" and the fortune teller is Madame Topaz.

Thanks again for all who looked and gave hints along the way.

Hopefully now, Scott will stop bugging me about stories he read in the 1970s.  :)

Paul~

image_123650291(3).JPG